RSS Feed Print
Saying 'Hi!' and asking questions...
Kathy Gottberg
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:57 PM

Hi everyone.  

My name is Kathy Gottberg and I have been writing for some time now--but I'm very new to Book Country.  I'm a very eclectic writer and have written a little bit of all sorts of things, from technical, to interviews, to promotional, to volunteer, to...you name it.  Then lately I got into blogging which I have really learned to appreciate.  Most recently, I published a novel to Kindle as an ebook.  

My big question as a newbie to Book Country is why is there such a limited number of categories for books.  I didn't read that Book Country was built around only supporting romance, sci-fy or mystery but those seem to be the only categories that we are expected to fit into.  My novel doesn't fit any of those and I'm wondering if there is anything for me here in Book Country because of that.  

So could someone please tell me if that is the case?  I enjoy connecting with readers and other writers but if I'm in the wrong club I'd like to know before I go to far.  Thanks for any insight you all can provide....

--Kathy
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:25 PM

Hi, Kathy. Welcome to Book Country!

Congratulations on publishing your first novel.

We're planning on expanding the genre map this summer. When dreaming up the site originally, Molly wanted to create a strong community of writers who would really support each other. Starting with the genres you mentioned was the best way to set the tone for this community. (I think it worked. I'm new myself, but I've found the group is a tight and lovely bunch who have been very welcoming.)

As we expand the genre map, we'll move into general fiction and some non-fiction (like memoir), but we'd like to keep the community within the confines of writing that is helped through critique and workshops.

I hope that helps and that you find something here that works for you.

Best,
Brandi

Kathy Gottberg
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 7:40 PM

Thanks Brandi for letting me know the plan.  I'll have to spend some time looking around and doing some reviews myself to get a feel for what you've created.  I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised  ....Kathy
Andrew Parker
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:39 AM

Looking forward to seeing your reviews.

Jump to different Forum...