RSS Feed Print
I'm new here
SZavoda
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:52 AM

After searching dozens of writing sites, FB groups, and other blogs, this looks like a wonderful place to be!

My name is Scott, 34, Cleveland Ohio where it snows a ton, and I am still employed, so things are great. My computer houses many kilobytes of novels that mysteriously stop around chapter three, so I guess I'm more of a newbie with plenty to learn. Now my passion is short stories.  

I just posted my first work on the site - A short story called "Killer In The Night."  

Is there a secret to at least getting a few reviews on my work here? I've the story posted for a few weeks, but it seems that it's getting no reads or reviews.  I'm probably just being a little impatient. Any thoughts would be a blessing.

Thanks! 

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 3:38 PM

Hi, welcome to the site.As to your questions, you're probably best served by increasing your activity on the forums and jazzing up your story's description. Try and get involved in some of the discussions on the thriller threads or other areas you're interested. As for your story, it might be that the title and descriptions aren't really getting anyone interested, so you might want to re-do them. At a bare minimum, I'd consider adding more information to the description of it on the main page.
SZavoda
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 8:40 PM

Thanks for the great info. I'll probably be doing all the above. I'm glad I didn't just wait it out. 
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, September 7, 2012 10:25 AM

Hey SZavoda,

Welcome to Book Country! I hope you're having fun with the site. 

I agree with Timothy: the best way to get reviews is to build relationships with other members and make the synopsis on the Book Details page is as tantalizing as possible. Think of it as the back cover book synopsis of a novel you recently bought that made you want to get it right there and then at the bookstore. 

Cheers!
Nevena
SZavoda
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 11:24 AM

Hey, thanks for the info. I've already received one of the most informative, ego-destructive reviews I've heard about my writing. I loved it! His one bit of advice will probably change my entire style of writing and for the better of course. 

There's so much to learn on here and never enough time to put it all into practice.  

Thanks for the welcome!

Santoshi Naidu
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:50 AM

Hi SZavoda,

i am new here too.
I love this site, because there is so much of community activity going on here, great ways to connect and share with people

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:25 PM

Welcome to Book Country!

Jump to different Forum...