RSS Feed Print
Things it would be great to know before I give a review
silent k
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 7:45 PM

In order to give a review I want to know:

How much of a posted excerpt represents the entire book? The number of pages or chapters out of the total would be most enlightening.

Where does the prologue begin and end, so that a true first chapter is obvious?

Is it a final draft?

I realize authors notes are an addition meant to help and they would if these questions were answered.

Sometimes it seems as if the 100% mark is the actual end of the book. It would be good to know. Maybe a simple 'the end' or the number of chapters remaining in complete book.

Is the book a memoir in first person or is the character narrating. Some excerpts start right in with the 'I' POV, and it's hard to tell if it is an author's preamble or the beginning of a chapter.

I always want to confer with the writer before I am able to give a proper review, but there seems to be no forum for inter messages.
for example: I want to ask one author if the book is their own life story because after 30% of the excerpt it could go either way as the narrator has not revealed his name. More background makes a big difference to my review, and as it was a relatively short excerpt... I wanted to know if it was a short story or was there more?

I'm new to this site and feel there should be a few more questions added to the profile of a book to clarify.

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:48 PM

Bumping this up.

GD Deckard
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:24 AM

@silent k: The reviewer's job is to evaluate what they see.

True, you can do a better job the more you know about the work and the author's intentions. But in the end, every book stands on it's own before readers.

Don't worry about making a mistake in your review We're a forgiving bunch and it is the author's job to know when they receive good advice.

Richard de Meath
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 9:11 PM

Hello again!  I too am new to this and find myself really enjoying the works of other writers and offering my opinion.  I have already found myself frustrated several times to find the work I am engorssed in reading comes to a sudden halt, that I am left in mid-air, so to speak.
Still, when this happens, I mark the work for further review when more chapters are added.
My plan is to try and review at least 3 books each day.
Good luck to all writers and potential writers.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 1:37 AM

You've asked some very good questions but, as a writer, I don't want you to know those answers. Not before you review.

As a writer, I want your opinion on how my work stands now. Not what it was, not what it could be. And I've often said that I post earlier drafts in order to see if I'm going along a good path. Or if I have to course correct.

You can always ask those questions in the review. I'll answer them in my reply.

Jump to different Forum...