RSS Feed Print
Review for Review
Virillio Haec
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:08 PM

Admittedly, I didn't come up with this idea; I think I first noticed RK Blaine offering Review for Review on one of her stories, Winterwolf maybe...
In any case, I thought it a great idea to use the notion of Review for Review to attract writers who post as spastically as I do, and in turn who enjoy the conversation that opens up over repeated reviews of another author's work!
Given, my intent seems no more than the very concept of this site. It's only I find some writers more interested in this kind of reciprocal engagement than others...
So, any takers?
Or is this entirely inappropriate?

Kat Day
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:49 AM

How would we set this up besides posting on the review we give "please review mine"? I posted a book about 2 weeks ago and only one person has looked at it, despite the reviews I gave to begin with. But, if I request a recipricol review, I may get a half-hearted read and if I say anything negative about the book I review, would the person come back and rip mine to shreds becasue they're angry? It's enough to make a person think of paying someone to review their work, though they say never to do that.

I'm new here, but this review process has me stressed b/c I don't know if I'm getting a read (presuming I get some) b/c someone needs to review some stuff or b/c they're actually intersted in reading it.

OR did I misunderstand the question and you mean review the review (not the reviewer's work)?
Virillio Haec
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:49 PM

You understood perfectly... : )
Here is the thing--what I am looking for is good peoples. People with the same heart as me, about helping others with their work, and who also would like someone to review their own work. If someone behaves in a petty manner about their review, well, I suppose that will be someone who you no longer continue to review... But I suspect that their are plenty of healthy, true folks, who want to help each other in a way that provides a consistent insight. For clarification I am talking putting it out there, as a good will offering, that if you review my story I will take the time to review yours, and hopefully we build a growing understanding of one anothers work and what it needs to be better. For example, I have reviewed some authors stories more than once, and found my insight into the story and how it could better work grows every time I review it.
Hope this is making sense...
best
VH

Kat Day
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:59 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I took your advice on your review and added a new group of paragraphs preceding where I'd started. Thanks for your review, I left you one, too! Love your book premise.
Delroy Henry
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:17 AM

I am interested in doing this if anyone is interested.

Jump to different Forum...