RSS Feed Print
What Genre Category Should I Use?
Carl E Reed
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 4:11 PM

I’m putting the finishing touches on a hard science-fiction short story whose tone and voice is more Vonnegut than Heinlein, if you know what I mean.

My question is this: Even though the PLOT of the story revolves around hard science-fiction concepts, and everything that happens within the tale breaks no known laws of science (or speculatively postulated therefrom re: the multiverse, or “many-worlds” hypotheses of quantum indeterminacy writ large as entirely different universes) the TONE of the tale is one of black comedy and farcical satire.

It seems to me that labeling the story as “hard science-fiction” is going to irritate and disappoint the Heinlen/Clark/Asimov fans, while those looking for “soft science-fiction” could just as reasonably argue that the story’s thematic elements render it unsuitable for the “soft sci-fi” category.

What would you do, dear writers and readers? I realize that we always have tone for a secondary classification of the over-arching primary genre, but in this instance I fear the tone of the tale might necessitate the labeling of the story as “soft sci-fi.”

???  

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 11:21 PM

Too bad we don't have a satire category. Heh.

Even though its supposed to be of the black comedy/farcical nature, it might suit the hard SF category if its thematic elements fit it better. Sometimes you have to upset a few people to make a statement. I would have to read it to decide (and as someone who likes Vonnegut, I can't wait).
Atthys Gage
Posted: Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:17 AM

Much the simplest solution: post the story under Hard Sci Fi and let us have a look at the thing. Then we can all offer our opinions (the thing we do best around here).
Carl E Reed
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:38 AM

Thank you, LeeAnna and Atthys. Hard sci-fi it is!

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:25 AM

Would it be permissible to class it with a subjective, best fit, and then give a few hints in the blurb or synop?
If it was tagged hard Sci-fi and on reading the back cover, I came across the words- humorous, witty, or satirical... I couldn't take offence at the cross-over.
Sorry, I know I'm so late in joining this discussion that this is likely already in print, and you've a dozen other books written since!
I've a selfish reason for joining too. I'm having a problem correctly classing my effort, THE DESOLATE.
I've a really brief description in another discussion entitled "Congratulations! It's a...a...it's a... What the Hell is it?

Any advice here, or there, greatly appreciated.

Jump to different Forum...