RSS Feed Print
A New Way to Use Book Country - Weekly Following
Michael Guarneiri
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:07 AM

Good morning/afternoon/night fellow citizens of Book Country! 

I've created this thread to begin a weekly Solomon Pierce following. This is probably a bit out of the ordinary, but I think it's for the best. I've had my story - Solomon Pierce - up for a long while and I've received several reviews (which I appreciate a great deal). However, I've found that reviews tend to focus on the first few chapters of the story. 

From this point forward, I will put up six and only six chapters every week (this means that chapters will be removed every week). I'm hoping this will help target reviews a bit better. Fortunately, I tend to write very short chapters (i.e. reading six chapters of Solomon Pierce doesn't take very long at all) so it isn't difficult for me to crank out six chapters a week (when I'm productive).

This week begins the first week. The first six chapters are up and ready, but most have already reviewed those. Next week, I'll upload chapters 7-12. 

If you'd like to weigh in on this approach, feel free. Might work wonderfully, might be a disaster. Only time will tell! 

If you like the story or want to give it a shot, join the discussion!  

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:29 PM

You can also leave the first six chapters up and add additional chapters every week marked as "new drafts" so previous reviewers can continue to review them. I know that as a reader, I probably won't start critiquing something if I have to start in the middle. Why cut your potential readers in half?
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:39 PM

That's the downside of having a WIP longer than a few chapters, a lot of people aren't going to want to sit down and read the whole book.

Colleen is right that a lot of people aren't going to want to start at a mid-point.

If you want more attention to the later chapters, why not just ask? Write in the author's note that you would really appreciate feedback on chapters 6-12. Most of the Book Country reviewers genuinely want to help and if they know what you want feedback on, you'll get it.
Michael Guarneiri
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:11 PM

Thank you Colleen (unless you'd prefer Ms. Lindsay) and... er... Ivoidwarrenties. Colleen, great point. Picking up readers at the half-way point is pretty much impossible. Ivoidwarrenties, great suggestion. I'll play around with the author's note in the future.

I'll still continue with the weekly following, though, in all likelihood, I won't erase previous chapters. Hopefully, giving followers something to expect *every* week at about the same time will help the process out in some way.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:28 PM

Ivoidwarrenties is the name I go by whenever I join a beta. I never expected to actually stick around long enough to regret it.

Another thing I would do is comment on reviews and point the reviewers to changes you made based on their suggestions. This might get you another read/review/feedback because people like to see results of their review manifest. I have a few people who have reviewed Bon Voyage more than once after doing that.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:31 PM

I prefer Your Highness or Empress Colleen, but "Hey, fat chick who opens the cat food cans!" is what I'm generally called around my apartment. =)
Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:42 PM

So our choices of honorifics for you are either (a) Rotund Tuna-spattered Cat Food Dispenser or (b) Most Glorious Sister of Heaven: High & Holy Incandescent Light of the Eternal Goddess: Golden Empress of the 1000 Realms.

PS. That second option might take a little practice before it trips off the tongue. . . .

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:56 PM

I'm leaning towards Her Royal Highness (HRH) Colleen, Queen of Quirky, Duchess of Canned Cat Food. Bow before her or she shall smith you with the Hammer of Banning.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:10 PM

Heh! She's going to kill us. . . .
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:36 PM

Smith? I meant Smite. Bloody auto correct.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:57 PM

And I meant to write: ". . . before it trips dulcetly off the tongue."

My god, we're obsessively re-writing and typo-correcting tossed-off comical quips in near real-time.

Writers—a different tribe. . . .

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:33 PM

Am kinda digging (a) Rotund Tuna-spattered Cat Food Dispenser - LOL!
Carl E Reed
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:53 PM

Heh! You're a good sport, Colleen!

Jump to different Forum...