RSS Feed Print
When to recommend...
Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 12:48 AM

Hi all!

I was just wondering when you recommend a book to your connections. I read through the previous post about recommending your own work (I did it once and felt really odd about it... lol). But what I'm curious about is if you recommend a book because

1) it's so good you think everyone should read it/the plot and writing is really well done and it's a 4 star book for sure...

or

2) because you think it has potential but is still hovering at 2 or 3 stars and would benefit from more reviews/critiques/feedback.

I ask because I don't want my connections to expect 4 star books when I'm really recommending a work so that the author can get more feedback on it... and vice versa.

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 2:38 PM

I generally recommend a book if it's something I think someone will either enjoy reading or enjoy critiquing.
RJBlain
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 11:15 PM

I recommend for a couple of reasons:

1: Someone asked me to recommend one of mine to them when it was ready for them to read through.

2: I feel the story needs a lot of love and know another writer that would be able to give it a fair and honest review

3: Random whim

I don't tend to recommend a book just because it is good -- it doesn't need help if it is that good. I'd rather books I recommended actually need the help, but this is just me. If the book is that good, well, hopefully a pub will pick them up.
Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:17 AM

Excellent, thanks Colleen & RJ.

I am leaning toward the I think the connection will enjoy reading/critique and/or they will be able to provide the recommendation with valid & helpful critiques.

Jump to different Forum...