RSS Feed Print
Are there limits on sexuality in books posted on Book Country?
L K Pinaire
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 3:37 PM

I have a novel I'd like to post, but it begins with a graphic rape scene and depicts truly barbaric aliens. Is there a provision to protect younger readers? Can I post this?

RJBlain
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:00 AM

While the age to get in is 18... if it is that graphic, I'd use discretion. While sex is a part of romance genre especially... my personal opinion is you never know when a kid might wander into the site and have themselves a look see.

But that said, I do not actually know what the actual protocol for that is, don't work here, that's just my opinion.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:49 PM

Hi there -

Actually, we have no problem with you posting graphically sexual work on Book Country. We do ask that you tag it appropriately using the tags we provide in the Upload section. In the case of the book you're discussing, I'd suggest the tag for graphic violence. I would also use the tag for triggers. We include this tag so that people who have been past victims of sexual assault can avoid reading about situations that may make them uncomfortable.

You are free to suggest a tag, also, it the one you think you need doesn't exist.

Additionally, in your author's notes, you can warn the reader that what he or she is about to read is violent.

(I am suggesting the tags for violence rather than sexuality because rape is generally considered an act of violence).

Hope that helps!

Colleen

Jump to different Forum...