RSS Feed Print
Recommendations
Tawni Peterson
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 10:07 PM

I am new to this community and want to be sure to follow any established "rules" of ettiqutte. SO, I am wondering if anyone here "reccommends" their own books to their connections. It seems it could be perceived as a bit obnoxious, however, the reviews I have received so far have been helpful, and I am not sure how else to go about getting more reviews...

Any input is appreciated!

Toni Wyatt
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 2:05 PM

I've had my connections recommend their books to me. I always try to read and review books from my connections. I've recommended one of my books to a few of my connections. I got more reads. All of my reviews came from people before I made connections with them except one. I think recommending your book to your connections once is great. I think if someone were to do it over and over again, then it might be considered annoying. I actually don't mind getting recommdations. I just add them to my list of books I will read.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 3:26 PM

Honestly, we didn't set up the Recommendations for people to recommend their own books so much as other books on the site they may be reading and enjoying. I am more likely to read a book that is not recommended to me by the author, frankly. I tend to ignore recommendations that come from the authors themselves. I think a lot of others may feel the same. We don't want the Recommendations function to simply become spam. If an author is recommending his or her own books all the time, that's what it becomes.

Also, the Connections function is not for making more friends on the site; it's really a way for writers to have an additional layer of privacy. If a writer posts the whole of a manuscript on the site, another member must be connected to that person to see the entire manuscript. We originally envisioned writers connecting with small groups of people, those members whose opinions they most trust for critique and feedback.

Danielle and I get Connection requests from pretty much everyone on the site which we have to ignore, as it defeats the purpose of Connecting with someone.
Tawni Peterson
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 5:04 PM

Thank you, Colleen. That is super helpful! Guess I will just have to be more patient
Tawni Peterson
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 5:06 PM

Toni, thank you for the response. I searched the forums for a thread that addressed the issue and I couldn't find anything. Appreciate your time!

Jump to different Forum...