RSS Feed Print
Is my work safe on BookCountry?
Michael Guarneiri
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 6:14 PM

Please don't ban me! Just kidding (but seriously, please don't ban me). This IS NOT a hate on BookCountry thread by any means. In all honesty, I love the site and the community and all of the awesomeness that it has to offer. That aside, I'm worried about putting my work up on the site. I've been working on Solomon Pierce (Buzz Book/BC fave for contemporary fantasy) for about four years now and - I'm sure you can all relate - that MS is MY BABY (pride and joy, light of my life, etc.)! 

Recently, I came across a writer on BC that pulled a story off of the site because it was to be published. That got me thinking: is it safe to have something that will be published up on the site? I have every intention of publishing my story in the near future. Will this exposure on the internet have any drawbacks? 

I'm totally new to the whole business of publishing, so any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Will agents/publishers ask if the MS has been up on the internet? I've read in the terms and conditions that BC users keep all rights to their work- thus, does it matter? - however, I've also read that BC is allowed to reproduce work that is uploaded to the site at any time. Does this make the work less appealing to publishers? Does taking your work off of the site revoke this right? 

All thoughts that are on my mind. Once again, this is not in any way a hate on Book Country thread. I totally love the site and everything that it has to offer. Just a few concerns that are better dealt with out in the open. 

I really appreciate all replies! 

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 7:07 PM

If it's online, someone will figure out how to get it, no matter what the encryption.

That said, I have most of one manuscript up on BC and I'm not too concerned about piracy. People who don't belong to this site can see the first 5,000 words, that's the same amount of text I've made available on my website. BC members can see up to 30,000 words of my MS. That's the first third of the book and still not enough to steal and publish. The only people on BC who can read the two-thirds I've posted are the people I'm connected to.

The number of people I'm connect to is small for that reason. Connecting to people isn't a popularity contest, in my opinion. It's a short list of the people you want to review completed work or in depth work.

Personally, I think the quality of feedback, advice and the community on Book Country makes the risk of putting my work online worth it. Their people work hard to keep things secure and if you are careful yourself there shouldn't be a problem.

*totters off to wipe the brown off her nose*

Jump to different Forum...