RSS Feed Print
The Summer Slackers - Writers Club Hangout
Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:47 AM

True to its name, this group is for those of us who do not have the discpline, or desire, to write everday. Not saying it as a bad thing, so please don't judge me. I do like reviews and being reviewed, but sometimes I want a distraction. Engaging in conversation, or throwing out ideas, even just discussing my inablity to make progress.

I am a burst writer, and can go weeks before slamming out two chapters, or more sometimes. Because of this, I feel like I am alone at times on this site, and everyone, who still seems to be lingering, is too busy writing to engage in anything but progress reports.
So here is the spot. I would like to open it for discussions that are concerning writing, but not going to limit it. If you are like me, and need to have the old marbles stimulated, or engaged, to help pull you out of your stump, this could be your home. And if you are just tired of being bored, then this thread is for you.

Anything goes, sort of, but mainly it is a spot for those who just need a break. My current break is about a week, so not sure how much longer it can be called a break before I need to change that to vacation.  

Do you at least take time to read while you "take your break"? Anything worth sharing? Do you spend the time researching? Are you a huge overachiever, pun intended, and have five or six projects going so you never truely break? Or do you just need to chat, and loved ones just don't get the challenges you face undertaking this task?

Give me your thoughts, and let's be each other's distractions.

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:11 PM

Ha! Procrastination is king.

Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:14 PM

Well I did try to put a positive spin on this, asking what people did when they were procrastinating. But yeah, I am really bad at this. I have 3 other subplots waiting in a certain spot for the last one to catch up. It will be the first real epic moment in the story. And while in my head, the story is done, getting my fingers to cooperate is an entirely different demon all together.

I do find some healthy back and forth with others a good way to distract myself, and get the "juices" flowing. I have had some good conversations with people on this site, and it has actually helped to bring parts of my story into perspective.

So for others who are shyly waiting in the wings, throw off the chains of conformaty and come join the rest of the slackers. Or maybe by definition, slackers don't write, so they won't show up here.....hmmm, didn't really think that through. 

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:45 PM

Yay, Alantis!

That's all I have to say for now. I will be preparing my long-form reply this evening.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:51 PM

Heh-heh! I've found my new home . . .

Love what you did here, Alantis!

What do you guys (gender-neutral term, Mimi!) think of posting some of your stalled  work here? Say we share a couple of descriptive paragraphs (or lines of dialogue) from these ill-fated works with one another? Might spark something . . .  (But please keep it short and pithy, I'm thinking. No rambling three-page interior monologues, eh?)

Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:03 PM

Mimi - My ears are burning already, so I will just wait anxiously for the "Wicked Witch" to come calling.

Carl - I am game. I am not sure my stuck spot could be put into a few paragraphs, but I am willing to look at others stuff and drop my two cents. I have been busy reading other people's work on this site...another way to procrastinate.

It has also been suggested that we have someone start a story and let it get passed around. While I am not sure how to keep people going in some organized path, I would like to see that too.

I put this here to draw some people in and get some interaction going. No rules remember? So if you want to show me where you are stuck, and I can help, then consider it a done deal. I am sure there are others who will chime in as well. I have cohorts now.

Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:19 PM

As a side note, I have reviewed 10 books, and been here 11 days. I am not sure what is an acceptable number, or when you you start being viewed as helpful, but I am working on it. (See procratinator is my middle name. It should read "Humble Procrastinator Scribbler")

I am still blown away by some the talent, and raw talent, on this site. If I keep finding books, I may never write.

Alantis
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2013 6:25 PM

Carl - So I took the advice about using this for helping each other get unstuck thread. And to keep things uncluttered, I started a thread "Summer Slacker's Paragraph Pile for Redonkulous Writing Challenge to carry the free writing thing I discussed. So please don't go quiet, I am here and hoping this thread will grow some legs and run away.
Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 10:16 AM

Well so it would seem that the Slacker's are truly slacking. Ahhh well, I probably should take my cue and do something worthwhile. Maybe write something beyond posts? Or play video games......Hmmmm it is a hard choice I am telling you what.

And Carl-I scanned around and found that there is already a thread for helping people get unstuck, but I forgot what it was called? Seems redundant to do it again, but I am willing to.

I was trying to start another thread for just plain old ramblings. I don't tweet (not a bird) and so chatting seems lacking for this sight. Well for a way to communicate without messing up a thread. Something I would be interested in. And apparently, if I had a rash, and I wanted to share with someone on this site that might actually pretend to care, I would get ten others who would share in my news, and they might not care or worse, think it was funny.

So thanks for barring me from sharing the photos of me having ice cream with my dog, from the same spoon. Or from me talking about that time, in band camp...(Haha, gonna have to go look at youtube to try and find the video) Maybe, this establishment is just trying to keep me silenced? Big brother is trying to control the flow of information?

ALL JOKES OF COURSE. LOVE THIS SITE. PLEASE DON'T TAKE ME SERIOUSLY (no one else does, not even my wife).......
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 11:41 AM

Hey, you did extend the deadline. I wouldn’t give up yet.

And you’ve given me an idea for a new book: a comical bodice-ripper, written in the spirit of the divine Amanda McKittrick Ros, henceforth to be referred to as AMcKR.

She is celebrated for her, shall we say, creative use of language. She referred to trousers, in one memorable passage, as the southern necessary. It was the rage, in stylish early twentieth century London drawing rooms, to play party games based on her work. She never accepted that her popularity was the result of a sublime nonsense. She took herself very seriously indeed. She predicted, to the end of her life, that she would be read a thousand years hence. I believe she will be. 

I had a book thirty years ago that I adored. I lent it out and never got it back. To this day I believe that it was a dead-pan work of low-brow historical lust, aka the bodice-ripper, but it lurched from one tired cliché (hmmm ... why do people say that? Clichés are tired, by definition.) to the next with such magnificent loopiness that I giggled, guffawed and roared all the way through it. The sister-in-law with the disfigured face hidden behind masks, that gem came out of that book.

That’s my new plan, to outdo all those dopey (and boring) lady-lust-things, and to make it so dreadful that it’s wonderful in its dreadfulness. This one, and it will be a first for me, will have no talking animals in it. Probably.

A new project! Brand new screwballs kicking around in this old noggin. How exciting! And I have you to thank for the nudge toward acting on the impulse that I have been dodging for years. 

Actually, you get half the credit. AMcKR gets the rest. Her stupendous prose-mangle has convinced me that I must attempt this nut-laced pudding, if I can douse it with the same silly sauce that she ladled liberally over every dainty dish she served up. See? I'm in the mood already.

Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 5:11 PM

Nice. Well I will take half the credit Mimi. And yes, I did extend the deadline due to popular demand. Without my vote, there were 2 dislikes or 3, so the will of the people has spoken. I do wish you well on the new book, I hope it goes good. It sounds like things are brewing just fine.
Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 5:30 PM

And for all who doubt the power of suggestion....I, (personally I might add), have rekindled the spark on this site. I logged in today and almost everyone on my friends and follow list has had activity since the AM. (You are all welcome by the way) I realize that many people may want to send me flowers or shower me with gifts, but I will humbly take a nod from everyone and be content not to toot my own horn. I am not big on public displays, but if I was, a parade around the capital would not be too grand a gesture I think. Not for me personally, although I should get all the credit, but for my committee. Some of them have large egos. Personally, I would just like to say, "Good to see I wasn't misled when I joined." It does my heart good to have people actually involved in collectively writing and engaging others. Oh wait, the phone is ringing and it must be the president calling to thank me for my contribution.....(bill collector really, but made me seem more important)

Good to actually be part of a real group. Thanks to all who have made this ALOT more enjoyable.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 6:47 PM

Yes, Alantis.You have worked a wonder indeed. It was a real bummer hopping on here and seeing nothing doing, day after day. At least nothing I was interested in.

Summer Writers? Not for me. No thank ewe.
Summer Slackers? Just my speed: spinning my wheels and loving it. 

Thank God you've saved me from having to work on my book.

Alantis
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:40 PM

Ah well, if you are going to do something, you may as well do it well, and slacking is in my DNA. I thought for sure my nonsense would have drawn a few laughs and a couple of comments, but it would seem that the majority of the world is more interested in "real" writing. BAHHHH. I prefer a good nap, a cold beer, and then a good dinner. Wait, and once a week, I at least stare at the screen where the words for my book should appear, whether I need to or not. Someday, I may truly get it finished, but it will not be today.

Hey Mimi, I will be leaving for CA. in two days, so I may not be on much till the close of the writer's challenge on Sun. night. I will come on for that. So in the mean time, can you watch the thread to make sure it flows okay? Mainly Fri. and Sat. My wife and I are renewing our vows and I sort of can't just be stuck on the laptop. Well I could, but I doubt that would go over well.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:17 PM

Will do, Fearless Leader. Have a lovely time. 

Alantis
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:04 AM

Umm didn't you hear what I said? RENEWING vows. Like I didn't have to get drunk enough the first time around. Now I have to repeat the traumatic experience all over again. This time they may have to club me like a baby seal, drag me down the isle, and just prop me up. Everyone seems to think it is so romantic, or sweet, HA!!!! I am going for the excuse of getting away and hanging out with people I normally wouldn't see. AND drinking is the theme in case you didn't guess? As if that wasn't bad enough, I get to spend thirty two hours driving with my wife and her second "maid-of-honor" (who is recently divorced mind you) and listen to them gaggle about the upcoming prenuptials. What could be better? No radio for most of the trip since we are going through the desert. I am just overjoyed.

Kidding, for most of it, I love my wife and I am glad she is getting the big wedding that she missed out on the first time. I will let you pick through and figure out the parts I wasn't kidding about. (hahahahahahaha)
Alantis
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:41 PM

Hey Mimi - I just saw that you have reviewed my book, looking at your page under reviews, but it isn't on the book itself? Did I accidently lose it by changing the chapters, or is it a review under review? Just curious. Because if you have, and I haven't thanked you (even though I missed the scathing honesty you are known for), I would like to say thank you for taking the time to try and rip me a new one. I am half tempted to take it down. I wanted it to be an intro to the characters, but it seems to leave too much open for anyone reading. Maybe I should change it to be just one storyline at a time?

Anyway, thanks if you have, and DRATS if you are just working on it.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:44 PM

Honestly, I don't remember. I know I started reading it, and then I got distracted by the Paragraph Pile. I'll get back on it as soon as I write the final version of my entry. 
Alantis
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:47 PM

No worries....I am a bit apprehensive about you reading it in the first place. Well more of whether I will want to be a writer when you are done reviewing is the truth. (Just playing) Mainly I wanted to say thanks if you had. That was the take away there. Paragraph Pile is the #1 spot to be right now, and I don't want to side track you.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 1:58 PM

Alantis, I already have a favorite, and it's not my piece. 

But my entry has opened a new vista for me, a genre that I never remotely considered attempting. I'm excited about where it might take me.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 3:00 PM

Alantis,

I didn't want to post this as a book review (because it isn't a review, though it is criticism) so I thought I'd drop you a line here. You may want to change the title of your novel (Hail Victory) because it has some very direct racist/nazi connotations. (I am assuming, of course, that you are not a white supremacist and that this title isn't a dog-whistle meant to attract a neo-nazi pagan readership to your novel.)

Here's evidence of what I mean: http://www.google.com/search?q=hail+victory&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QVm_UefpCIjkywGRsIDoCA&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=832

To be clear: this is not an accusation; merely a heads-up.

Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 10:56 PM

Ouch Carl
Thank you so much for the heads up. I will change it immediately. While the ancient religion of the northern people throughout history was "pagan", where I have placed the book and the tidbits of history I put into the the work I am doing, I in no way have intended to add the other parts to it. Thank you for the heads up. 

And for the record, the religion was known as "Asatru" which means true to the Aseir. The Aseir and the Vanir are the gods of the Scandinavian people before the conversion to Christianity. But that was as far as I was trying to go with the book, and I ventured very far from that right at the intro.

Thank you again for the warning. I appreciate it. Yeah the title kind of sucks, but I was stuck for a quick fix and I promise anyone who cares, I will get something creative up before next week.

Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 11:27 PM

Mimi - Thank you for all the support you have given in other threads and for what you have contributed towards making the writer's challenge. I really hope it turns into a interesting thread, and I look forward to other projects with you soon. Thank you for everything. You have made life fun and I am rejuvenated when it comes to putting words down again, no matter how they may be formed.

I see I have a lot of catching up to do when I get back. But the Napa Valley is calling and I am looking forward to spending time with the wife. 

I didn't realize that making the post my own, by bringing them forward, I couldn't vote. So I hope people will take the time to vote for the one they like best.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:58 AM

I am not understanding you. What do you mean, you can't vote? Wait a minute, I'm starting to get it. 

You are a fun guy to have on the site. You have given new energy to me, anyway. Now if you would only harass me until I get back to working on my book. 

Carl E Reed
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:31 AM

I understand the references, Alanis. And like Tolkien, Harlan Ellison, Robert E. Howard and Michael Chabon (you'll notice two of those writers are Jewish) I have a fascination with Nordic myths and legends. (Or the "religion of Asatru", for those who are "true believers". Not trying to dis anyone here.)  

Again, just a friendly heads-up. "Hail victory!" is the English equivalent of shouting "Sieg Heil!" (BTW: I once had a license plate frame that read, "To victory, or Valhalla!" on my motorcycle. A Nordic battle cry, sans neo-nazi connotations. The line is lifted, I believe, from the Prose Edda.)

Good luck with the novel!

Alantis
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:01 AM

Carl - I am not sure that I could be considered a "true believer" for anything, but I do have a fascination with all old myth and legends. The Nordic one is the most interesting. I hate that the entire WWII era and Hitler gave all of it a soar taste for most of the world. I am sorry the new title for my book doesn't give all of that credit. I will have to do some thinking there. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I do not want to lose readers.

Mimi - Well I am glad that we have shared feelings as far as funnessness....(not a word, but it sounds good to me) I am anxious to see how this story goes.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:16 PM

Alantis, tell me how you would vote and I will vote for you. You should be able to vote.

Alantis
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:15 PM

No need to vote for me Mimi, but thank you. I want to repost, we had a tie. Please go back to the end of the thread and revote. I will leave it open for the rest of today and tomorrow if I need to. Or I can just be the tie breaker, as my story isn't a finalist. So thanks for keeping a heads up on things. Back and excited to see this go forward.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 11:59 AM

I will be happy to go on later to vote, I just have to find it. Still figuring out the new lay out.

Jump to different Forum...