RSS Feed Print
What can I learn from you?
Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:42 PM

What do you feel you do especially well? Characterization? Style? Momentum? Is your self-assessment supported by your reviews?

Have reviews changed your opinion of your work? Do they help you focus on problems, and increase your determination, or have they stopped you in your tracks? If your train of thought has ground to a halt, is it from discouragement or from being unable to make a decision about a new direction? 

I admire the folks who post revision after revision. Where do you find the energy? The next version I post will be the one I am committed to to self-publishing. It will be a fragment with which I hope to gain a start-up following, Wool-style. The advice I've gotten here certainly makes me think, but I have also gotten (elsewhere) two or three responses that are so enthusiastic that I feel compelled to try it my way, with comparatively minor alterations. I continue to hope that my vision, while undeniably problematic, is not impossible. 

I am reading reviews for tips that seem to apply to me and mine. And I've wondered: what is the most valuable piece of advice that you've received?

Atthys Gage
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:22 AM

Mimi.  

You've asked a lot of questions.  I'll try to take them in my own order (and some I won't answer at all).  

I am an indifferent plotter.  Agent types are always telling me that 'not enough happens.'   I frequently find that suggestion absurd because, to me, my books (some of them) are filled with events.  Wren is a plot-heavy pot-boiler to me.  Spark is a crazy roller-coaster ride.  

Still, it doesn't shock me when people make that criticism.  In the same way that it doesn't shock me when people say the can't 'connect' with my characters.  Not that I haven't tried to respond to those specifics in rewrites, but I've come to believe that, for the most part, they are talking about a different kind of plotting, a different kind of characterization.  

This isn't sour grapes.  In terms of commercial appeal, I have no trouble in believing what they say.  I do have trouble doing what they say.  Present a sharply defined conflict in every scene.  What does the protagonist want and what is standing in her way?   Yeah.  This is good general advice.  But it can lead to a very simplistic mentality that the character must always be embroiled in active conflict or, in essence, nothing is happening, and that's absurd.  So much happens in quiet moments, and in ill-defined ways.  So many of the big decisions in our life are made without any special awareness on our part.  Isn't it more realistic, more poignant, more profound even to acknowledge and explore that gradual accumulation of live-changing data – the slow slide to an often almost unnoticed tipping point – than to always expect everything to be explained, verbalized, dramatized? 

We expect protagonists to also be proactive.  Conflicted, sure, but never passive.  Never diffident.  Maybe it's me but haven't we all been passive, even in the face of dire consequences?  Diffident to the point of self-endangerment?  But nobody wants to read that, we are told.  It's boring to read about people who are just as ineffectual and confused as we are.  We want heroes.  Give 'em flaws, of course (hot-headedness is a good one.  He makes mistakes because he's so damn passionate...)  but don't make him diffident.  Take the bull by the horns and wrestle it to the ground.  

While I believe this can be a formula for selling books, I am not at all convinced that it is a decent formula for writing books.  I like it when I'm not sure about a character.  I like it when I have to read a good long while before I 'connect' with them.  I like it when a book acknowledges that we are so often ineffectual and uncertain about so much.  

Alright, how does any of this relate to the questions you asked?  I think I am a pretty good writer stylistically.  I rarely get complaints about the writing.  As for the other stuff, I have grown downright weary of trying to re-sculpt my stories according to the accepted formulas.  I have also grown increasingly dubious about whether these formulas really result in better writing.  

So, as far as Sly goes,  by all means, write the book you want to write.  The chances of success (for any of us) are remote, so remote that we ought to consider ourselves free from even worrying about it and just write.  That's probably the best advice I've ever gotten, and I gave it to myself after my last round of rejections.  

On the other hand, what is success?  A major publishing contract?  Self publishing and selling a million copies anyway?  What about ten thousand copies?  Or a hundred?  What about a hundred people who think your work is wonderful?  What about ten?  What about one?

All the best.

Atthys
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:26 AM

Atthys,

As usual, you are full of insights that make sense to me and lift my spirits. I definitely agree with what you say about following your heart. I'm going to read your words again and again, with the goal of summoning my courage. I'm gearing up for a big push. Thank you.

You're right.  I keep telling myself, the chances of any real success are remote. Write the book you want to write. The books that follow the rules (as I understand them) generally do not impress me. 

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:25 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, Mimi. I think we all have things to learn from one another -- that's one of the values of this community.

Atthys, thanks for your insightful reply.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:48 AM

Hi Brandi,

I have seen the activity plummet on this site, and I wonder why, just as, maybe, do you. I can only answer for myself. 

I wish I could say that I am busy on my book, but that is not the case. I think about it constantly, of course, but I have not added to it. The reason I do not join in lately is because I am always whining about my problems and think it better to keep it to myself. Same ol’ same ol’ is where I’m at, and I feel horrible about it. I’m a bore! Boring as hell!

I like to think that the other no-shows are moving ahead but, My God! Even the faces that haunt the Progress Report are (relatively) scarce. 

This site and one other are my security blanket. I cling to them to keep the demons of the darkness (my far from finished thingy) at bay. I’m going to get into the spirit of the Summer Workshop, not to write new material, but to revise my first four chapters and finally be able to say, I’ve made some progress, with conviction. I've already beat to death every trick under the sun, I'm doing research, I'm strategizing, etc. All bullshit!

My apologies to one and all for being tiresome.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:54 AM

Hi, Mimi. Don't worry, I'll always be here. I've been relatively quiet because I've have been working on my book, but also on a couple others. I have so much writing work to catch up on. Yikes!

To respond to your questions; I assess what the critic says to see if it applies, and then consider whether it's relevant or not. A lot of people complain that I don't give enough back story on characters when you meet them in the story, but isn't that what the rest of the book is for? Why tell you everything about them up front? All my readers ask the right questions. I know they'll get their answers, but you have to keep reading.

I admit I've rewritten quite a bit of the first few chapters to the advice of my critics because I know they needed it. I like a slow build, but everything must also tie together and have purpose. I'm trying to get chapters 1-7 just right before I post them back up on this site. They're the hardest ones that needed the most work. Like all my critics say, once I get the ball rolling, it never looses momentum. I just have to get people interested first. Readers who have finished up to chapter 20 (this is before I posted 21-35) no longer asked for back story or more characterization. They understood the plot and liked it in general.

So you see, it's okay to take some time on your book to make it the way you want it. I've had so much input on my early chapters that sounded the same that I knew I needed to make adjustments. Since I have a tendency to underwrite, I also have some environment to flesh out and motivations to clarify. Other than that, I'm probably not going to be changing much.

The truly difficult part will be selling my work. I dread the day I have to sit down for the synopsis and query. (Shudders)
Perry Tercel
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:02 PM
HELLO, HEllo, Hello, hello....
I'm down here, with a whole bunch of us, who would love to answer that question. If only we could entice someone to, I don't know, take a chance? Take a dare? Give it a go? Ummm......Read our books?
Just one review. Please?
Even if you're not into that particular story, it would be so helpful to have the input of someone who's not my family or my cats. Someone who can say, "I'm game! Let's do it!!"
(Could someone turn on the lights, please?  ...Thanks.)
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:38 PM

Oh, Perry.

I will look at your book. Here's the problem: I am a life-long (sixty+ years) atheist. Christian-themed material turns me off. But I'll try to read for plot, excitement, etc. and comment on that.

You would likely be as displeased with my own thing. My hero is a swashbuckling, loud-mouthed, adamantly atheistic cat. He's skeptical of received wisdom of any kind, really. As am I. 

We are a mismatch, you and I, for sure. But I'll do my best.

Perry Tercel
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 12:51 AM
No offense, but, God bless you, Mimi! Thank you so very much! And, actually, in my 50+ years, I've run the gamut: non-theist; Catholic; witch/wiccan; science-purist; Christians-hater; then, ironically, became a Christian. But, one thing I see we do have in common: My cats (three Bengals and Hobbs) are all heroes, too. (They are, all, loud-mouthed, swash-buckling, house-wrecking......They have their own 'room' where they can work-out, fly around bouncing off the walls, and watch the outside world. (...while I quietly close the door and take a needed break. See, I prayed for patience and didn't learn my mistake until after God gave me the Kmart-parking-lot rescues. Fortunately, I learned the blessing of patience. It's called perseverance and humility.)
I also appreciate your candid response. I look forward to your review!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 2:55 AM

I am a cat person, as is my husband. He loves (and feeds) all animals that come to our door - skunks, raccoons, groundhogs, birds. He turns no cats away. Any who want it get a home, a damn good home. He bakes chickens especially for them, and I have to grab what I can before it all disappears.

We are down to four cats, but we once had sixteen. Some strays turn out to be pregnant.

We have a perennially slid open 'cat' window in our living room, overlooking the deck, so they can come and go at will. Just inside the window he has one one those dome-shaped bells that you hit on top with which he calls the cats for dinner. One raccoon has learned to step through the window and ring that bell, when he feels it is dinnertime. I live in a zoo. 

Perry Tercel
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 12:53 PM
It would seem, as I re-read my post, that I lock my poor babies up all the time! Au contraire: They have the run of all 80 feet of THEIR house,18x80 mobile home, and keep me locked up!(The room is for their enjoyment and safety) When I leave the house, I have to 'put them away' or they'll destroy my home quicker than a southern New Mexico wind storm!
Bengals are not for the casual cat owner, as any Bengal cat will agree. They are highly intelligent, inquisitive, and manipulative -they are in control. They 'speak' in many, different voices and converse, with me, all the time. They run, jump, bounce, spin, flip...(Arturo, aka 'Turo', does the 'Turo Drift' on my kitchen floor and Arthur, my 'special-needs kitty' or 'Jersey Cat' performs his famous 'Bad Kitty Dance' at inconvenient times when I can't record it or when no one else is there to behold his talent. Then there's MISS Tina. She's a tortoise-shell calico who demands attention any way she can get it! Hobbs, who will tell you is most DEFINITELY NOT a Bengal, is an exquisite, elegant feline-fellow and a 'Pedigree' Farm Cat. Turo may be 'Professional Cat', but Hobbs -albeit de-clawed; MAIMED! How could they!- is the ONLY cat to have caught and killed a real-live mouse!)
I prefer indoor cats (and cats are perfect for indoors) especially in the high-traffic area in which we live. I don't have a problem with outdoor cats, but I do take issue with those who say they HATE cats and that all of them should be run over. (If they want to hate, that's a preference. I strongly disagree with the latter part.)
Anywise, just a little 'table-talk'.
Mimi? I reviewed 'On Gaudy Night', as well as a few others, and I see two responses to the reviews I gave...(One of them is from you.) I'm still learning to work this site and I don't know how to access those comments or, maybe, what 'response' means. Do I need to request a connection? I requested connections with several newcomers, being I'm a newcomer, but no one accepted. I'm a bit over-whelmed, with so many brilliant writers, as yourself, that I wasn't sure about requesting connection with the established. (Like wanting to join a club, but waiting for a club member to give an invitation.)
Also, I know my book is not the traditional offering for this audience -I don't see many writers, on this site, for children- but I was glad when you said you would read it for plot, excitement, etc. -for the intended audience and readability. (I searched and found a couple of Christians; a girl, who seemed to be the age of my MC; and any newcomers interested in light, contemporary fantasy. No one accepted my request, so I'll just keep looking. I have 18 more books, dozens of notebooks full of notes, and want to have some feedback since I've seen there's not much out there in Christian fiction for children and YA, particularly chapter books.)
 I know there's a lot of contention and hate towards my kind, but, like the apostle Paul, I used to BE one of them. I'm writing to inspire; not to ram anything down another's throat. And I just wanted to show what it's like from a Christian viewpoint; my viewpoint:  Perhaps there may be others who have the same interest.
Please don't detest me because I'm different. (We love cats?)
Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 1:10 PM

Down at the bottom of your review you will see a gray band that says Comments. Hit that and it will open up.

Soon as I get out of this I will request to Connect with you. Watch for the announcement. You have to hit Accept before we are connected.

It sounds like you have some future U-Tube stars there. That adorable Grumpy Cat is getting a movie deal and, I believe, a book deal. Work on that for your guys. 

Thank you for your marvelous and very encouraging review of Gaudy Night. You have really made my day, and put new wind in my sails. I can't thank you enough.

I'll be in touch this weekend about your piece.

Perry Tercel
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:41 PM
Thanks for the laugh, Mimi! And, you're welcome, but I really love 'On Gaudy Night' -I must tell the truth; I'm under conviction. Not sure if it's 'perfectly P.C.' for kids these days, but I would still read it to my grand-daughters. It's delightful! (Illustrations would make it a treasure.)
It's sad that there's so much LAW that smothers us. Without even realizing it, we make it part of our lives -even to the point when we are absorbed by it. ('We are Borg' -STNG fan; huge one.) We can lie and say we aren't trapped by it or give up and say 'that's just the way things are...', but 'it' is our creation. We control it or we let it control us... (In my case, I pray.)
I wish there were more 'On Gaudy Night(s)' prodding us to recognize that we don't always have to be the same, or stay the same, and we can have that comparison. (You can't learn without it.) For we were created to be so much more than to be taken for granted. Thanks again, Grande Madame Mimi!
Alantis
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:00 PM

Well I am coming to the party late, but at least I have arrived. I share the frustration of Perry in the lacking of reviews. HOWEVER, it has afforded me the privilage of reading some others work. Some has actually been good and I feel privilaged to have read it.

One of my big problems in writing has been that when I awake from my "daydream' world, the story is already running full steam and my poor 2 fingered typing style cannot hope to keep up. I later try to fill in the blanks and never seem to find the words to convey what my mind has shown me.

I have undertaken a novel....well one hopes it will become that someday...and find that carrying sub-plots through to the main storyline gets tiresome. If I jump around too much, then things really start to fall asunder. And let us not begin the daunting task of rereading/editing that usually turns a 10 page chapter into a few rough lines that no longer carry meaning, and are then sent on a perminate vacation to the lovely recycle bin.

I personally believe my strong suits are the telling of a story, unfortunately, my fingers always seem to want to betray me. Alot of what I write is born from these stories, and if you believe the listeners, I am quit good. But when it comes to putting it into written prose, that is where things go bad.

So I had started this novel I have some years ago, after a terrible fall at work that left my back in ruins. I had alot of time on my hands, so I began to write. I was also on another writer's website and the first couple chapters I had finished got good reviews, except my grammer (but if you heard me talk, then maybe it wouldn't come as a surprise) Then the surgeries started and I didn't write so much, as doctor's are fond of keeping an individual well medicated. But from the reviews of the first chapters, I did make some revisions, and tossed out some of the comments. For some reason, when I returned to writing and posted a new work piece, the comments were terrible and bordered on cruel. While I took them in stride, writing for me ground to a halt.

I found myself rereading the chapters that I got good reviews on, and the story came flooding back to me. I tried to write, with the harsh critics words in mind, but found that I could not go on. I have gotten stuck in a spot or two, but rather than repost the questions, (I am holding out hope for them to be answered elsewhere), I will round this to a point;

Yes I have gotten discouraged in my writing (Now being one of those times, just started again after my last surgery a couple months ago). The harsh reviews certainly do not bolster one's spirits. But over this entire journey I have learned one lesson...If you are a true storyteller, and the desire is within you, then the story cannot be stopped. And while I humbley sit and wait for my turn to be read and reviewed, nothing seems to be able to stop the words from coming out, be they terrible or wonderful is yet to be seen.

I am not sure I stayed on track with the topic, feeling especially chatty today, I will close with some advice my wife loves to throw in my face. (Mind you they are words gleaned from another)

Know what you want, or take what you get. (And I want to tell the story)

Perry Tercel
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:52 PM
Atlantis...is that a first name or a last name? (Sorry; couldn't help but ask. You don't have to answer.)

It just so happens, my good man, that I put your book in my 'follow' books file, long before you posted in Mimi's forum. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll bump to it!

Colleen has a discussion for 'anyone who has a new (project)...' and it is MONSTEROUSLY full. I, too, set my little, itty-bitty post in that mammoth file and......sighed. Yet, I think that's where I found your offering and wanted to check it out. I intend to fish, there, from time to time.

I realized I've been cluttering Mimi's discussion forum with 'cat stories' and other personal talk. (Way to earn badges?) Besides, she confided that she's married, or, at least, has a husband, and I don't want people thinking something. (Know what I mean, Vern?)

It looks as if this forum is another outlet for those in need of reviews: Y' can't answer the question otherwise!
So, since I've received the favor of a review from another, I'll review your book and we can, both, answer Mimi's question.

(After all this time.... What was the question again?)
Herb Mallette
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 7:29 PM

Hi, Mimi. I have my opinions about what I do well, but whether they're accurate is for others to judge. I think I'm pretty good with dialogue and with prose description, and I think I do a good job plotting things so that the story climax and the thematic climax are tightly linked and occur relatively close together.

With that said, I think it is much harder to learn from what another writer does well than from what he or she does poorly. If you like something in a piece of fiction, you may or may not know precisely why you like it, and you certainly may not be able to pinpoint the exact technique that causes you to like it a lot. On the other hand, if you dislike something about a story, there's a pretty good chance you can figure out exactly what and why, and then avoid doing that thing yourself.

I've certainly gotten some good advice on this site, and I've made use of some of it. But I've also gotten advice that sent me down stray paths. When it comes to reviewing, though, I've gotten a lot of valuable insights from picking out the things that bug me in other aspiring writers' work. As an example, I noticed myself writing a number of reviews in which I suggested that the opening scene of the excerpt didn't really seem to me to be the right place to begin the story. In several of these stories, there was just nothing in the opening action to immediately draw me to the characters, and if I'd been reading in a bookstore, I would have put the book back on the shelf. The more I found myself repeating that advice, the more I started to have a nagging feeling that perhaps I needed to follow it myself. I looked over my opening scene and discovered that it suffered from exactly the same issue -- and in fact, the whole opening chapter had elements of the same problem. So I experimented with a new draft starting in a different place, and I think the results are very promising.

So when it comes to what you can learn from me, maybe the most promising angle is for you to learn how not to do the things that I do badly!
Alantis
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 8:05 PM

Finally, true life on this site beyond posting without regard to what was said before it...I think it is called conversation, but wasn't sure what it was until now. *smiles*

First is Perry - Alantis is my first initial with my last name. I could have done "A.Lantis" but I thought I would lose myself in just my last name. Since technically I am 'a lantis', i tried to be creative and represent 2 things in one. As to asking for a review, I realize that I did that, however, I was mainly trying to join the conversation by following the topic. Apparently I failed at that. I have learned lessons as a writer, which I was trying to convey in my post. For the record, there are many great writers here and I am humbled the more I read. I truely am willing to "wait my turn", I also would appreciate the read. Funny thing is, I had also set your book for a later read. So I guess we both can do the other a turn?

On Herb's topic - I completely agree with seeing our reviews of others and applying it to our writing. It was even pointed out to me early on this site (spoken from my long 6 days here) that I should include what I liked about someone's book as well as what I saw wrong. I found that to be a bit more challenging. I could say that I liked a book, or it was a good read, but to actually pinpoint the reason was a true test. Many author's so far have interested me with their stories...one so much so that I couldn't even review as I had nothing to say but MORE PLEASE.

Very good advice Herb, very good indeed.

For others who may come onto this discussion in the future, as I have, I apologize in advance for steering away from the topic. I honestly wanted to join the conversation and share what I have learned;

You cannot stop a storyteller who has a story to tell.

And share my wife's words of encouragement, (I think);

Know what you want, or take what you get.

To me, this is simple. Do I want to be published? Do I want others to love my story? Do I want fame and fortune for the words I lay down? Or do I simply want to tell the story? This is what one decides for themselves, but if you do not, then you may just end up with bad reviews and a broken heart.

A side note Perry, the "I am new" thread was one of the first places I went, but it seems that life has left there for greener pastures.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 8:31 PM

Perry, what does LAW mean? 
Perry Tercel
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 11:30 PM
It's just an emphasis on the word 'law'. TBH, I think I was partially catatonic when writing that post. The other part was resentment. I really liked your verse and imagined, back, being a child and having 'On Gaudy Night' read to me. Nowadays, there are laws and restrictions on what can be read, in public schools, to children. (If only we could have some of that fairy-sprite magic dust sprinkled around; if just for one night we could be those fancy-free, dapper animals as they frolicked, danced, and sang -maybe we could all forget about being so dastardly toward each other. Maybe we could, unselfishly, be a better example for our children because it's important to us.....zzzzzzzz.)

As it is, my books, in this day and age, will not be allowed in public schools. 'The Unicorn Hero' will not be read, by a teacher, to children. I won't go into details and do not plan on bringing this up again. (I apologize. I'm just feeling some 'pinched toes'. I'll get over it, but I'm not giving up.)

Please forgive me, Mimi.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 11:00 AM

Good morning, Perry,

I am halfway through your book, but I had to stop. My computer upstairs was so hot last night that I got scared. 

I'll finish the read tonight, and then I will have to ponder. Your piece has many issues. All I will say for now is: it's too . . . it's too . . .  it's too. 

Look for a post on Monday at the earliest. When I review, I am thorough. See my previous reviews for evidence. (List of reviews found at the bottom of the profile page)

Perry Tercel
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 7:54 PM
Mimi, Oh, Great! Please, I need the input. And as much as I like you, please be brutally kind. (Ha, Ha)

I got a very insightful review from Alantis that, predictably at first, made me think my 'baby' was a total and complete bomb. But I prayed about it, got some really good sleep, woke up feeling completely NEW, and told Alantis that he gave me the answers I needed. (Don't tell him this, but he's practically a genius!)

I'm looking again at the 'sermon in the bedroom' and at all of Debbie's prayers. Because of Alantis' revealing input (And watching Joel Osteen, this morning, practically giving the same advice) I understood the reason why there were parts that bothered me. God doesn't give you anything that'll make you feel bad. (Unless he knows it's for your own good.) I was inserting a lot of things in (the story) because I thought I was pleasing God. (Since He made me, then I already please God. Duh!) I was doing MY will and not HIS! I am so CHARGED right now!! (And, if you see this, Alantis, I have a whole new scene, on the bus, that I truly believe actually works, not only right, but better!

Proverbs 3:5......'Trust in the Lord, with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.'

Alantis
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 11:28 PM

Perry - As I said in my review, you place to much credit on me, and not enough on yourself. That nagging feeling was the voice of your muse, perhaps "God" if you will, telling you things that I only mimicked. It was a pleasure to have been a part of the journey, thank you for taking me along. I will have a look at the chapter very soon. I am busy'ish at the moment and not alot of time to read. But I will.

Thank you again for sharing, and for those that read this, without having a look at the book, ignore the self destructing author and his crazy misconceptions about his book. It is a better read for younger people, but it has enough in it for adults that I doubt you will regret taking the time.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 4:35 PM

Atlantis, I have made a Request to Connect. Refuse my request if you don't want to hear flat out what I think. For better or worse, I am not a happy talk person. Diplomacy has never been my strong point. I either say nothing at all, or I spit it out. 

Honestly, this is the strength of this site. If I took to heart all the awful reviews I've gotten, I would have decamped long ago. You grow from (very often) demoralizing slams. Are you serious about being a published author or not? Then, listen, and, hopefully, learn. 

Or at least solidify your belief in yourself. That's a marvelous outcome also.

I hope you understand that my review of Unicorn was not an attack on a belief system per se. I am the ultimate live-and-let-live person. I was only questioning commercial potential and the craft of the strategies on display, in support of that goal. I will do the same for you, if you encourage me, by accepting my Request to Connect.

Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 6:17 PM

Mimi - I have never been a person who wears my heart on my sleeve, and I try to talk straight, as I prefer to be talked straight to. NOTHING you have said would offend me in anyway, nor would I allow it to. (Mainly because we all come here to be reviewed, not coddled. I get that at home)

There is no way I would ignore the request, and if you saw my posting somewhere earlier today, I even said I hope our differing views on 'Unicorn' would not hurt a budding friendship. I meant that, honestly and truely.

You have the right to speak your piece, and if people don't want to hear it, then they should not be in such a public forum. And wether I agree with your opinion or not, I will ALWAYS respect it and your right to say it.

WOW, just read that and saw how "serious" I was. Shooooooot, that was my dose for the week. I enjoy you Mimi, and have formed an opinion about you, quit farorable by the way, long before we had even begun to have any back and forth. I have been following you for sometime, I was actually a bit timid about requesting the connection, mainly because I don't want to follow alot of people who don't do. I figured you for one who did, and I wasn't sure I would meet your expectations. So now that the ice is broken, so to speak, we are all good, now and for the rest of my time on this site. And IF you ever change your candidness, I will be the first to call 'bullshyte'! You be you, and I will like it just fine.

Perry Tercel
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 7:07 PM
Praise the Lord! I thought you two were quarrelling (over lil' ol' me!) and had to pray for you, both. (I'd do it anyways.) Glad to see the 'kiss and make-up', even though it was a only a misunderstanding.

Knock; knock?
Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 7:47 PM

If you say "CooCoo Bird" I will know you are talking about me. And no, there was never a quarrel with Mimi, my words are as heart felt as I can convey with script. This type of medium allows for misunderstandings, and I hate that my writing betrays my feelings at times.

I would rather have someone who hated me and was honest about it, than someone who pretended to be my friend.

Closing with, If you teach a man to fish, he will choke on the bones, but if you teach him to raise boneless chickens, he will die of old age.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 9:34 PM

I feel so much better! I was really upset about pissing you guys off. 

I would love it if you would read that first review I ever got, on Sly, from JoeTeeVee. He absolutely took me apart.

Read it, and have a good laugh at me. I don't want anyone to think that I think I'm hot shit. I'm down here in the trenches just like you, ducking the schrapnel.

Hmmm ... that doesn't look right, and it's got that red line under it. Well, you get the picture.

Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 10:38 PM

Oh what a relief Mimi, I was afraid that I had drawn you out of the shadows, only to offend you and have you return to obscurity just to avoid me. Thank god I was wearing my lucky G-string today...paid off.

So this never comes up again, I say this now and ask that it apply forever; I will not be offended by what you say (unless personal attacks become the weapon of choice). For reviews and overall conversation, we are both individuals, with different opinions and taste. If we cannot express that, then what is the point of being it?

I truely mean every word I have said Mimi, and I would hate to find you moving away from me for some imagined slight I may, or may not, have done. Life is to short to hate. FRIENDS???????????

I want you to know, the simple act of answering me on your thread "Where is everyone? Speak up you guys." has gotten a ball rolling on this site and things seem to be happening again. Thank you. We are like Rocky and Bullwinkle, bringing the dead back to life. (I know, not even a good reference, but I bet ya smiled)

Looking forward to what you have in store for an encore???? Don't make me wait for to long...Remeber,
SHINEY....................

Perry Tercel
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 11:25 PM

You big fanny-smoocher!
Oh, and by-the-by, I was off reading your proof, A., to get the review out, and totally unawares of anything going on. Man, aren't we all a bunch o' fiddle faddle! (I like that buttery-toffee popcorn with my nuts ... and don't get cute, G-string boy. I know how to start rumours, too. (Brit-spell)

Mimi, don't let him trick you. (Hmmm.... maybe it's the other way around...)
Watch out, A.. I've scene her posts. (intentional sp.) She's a swank! I imagine her like Serena on Bewitched. RRRRRAAAA-OOOW!!!
Just kiddin' guys.
...and nighty-night, one and all.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:59 AM

Just so you know who you're dealing with here: I am one of the original generation of Rocky and Bullwinkle fans. Every Sunday night between Victory at Sea (my father's favorite) and the Ed Sullivan Show (America's favorite) we watched Rocket J. Squirrel and company, Boris, Natasha, Sherman and the Wayback Machine, that was great stuff.

I'm sixty-six. At my age, I don't much care what anyone thinks of me. That's about the only good thing I can think of about getting old.

Alantis, any time you want to compare aches and pains, I'm ready for you. 

Atthys Gage
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:31 AM

Anyone know the voice of the narrator on Rocky and Bullwinkle ("Tune in next time for...")?

William Conrad, who was also Marshall Matt Dillon on the original radio version of Gunsmoke.   I got your Wayback Machine.
Perry Tercel
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:11 PM
What's 'radio'?
Atthys Gage
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:48 PM

Magic listening boxes.  We had one in my cave when I was growing up.  
Alantis
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:55 PM

Mimi - I remember Rocky an Bullwinkle, but not that well. So ya got me beat there. I really remember the cartoon, but that came later.

As to the aches and pains, I really don't have them now. I do take alot of Tylonal (doc says too much) but the surgeries have helped. 1st got me out of bed, but almost no unaided movement. 2nd got me more mobile. 3rd was suppose to take care of everything. I have had 6 shots, and then one last micro surgery. I feel good now. I just spent alot of time laying down over the 2.5 years (roughly). They say arthritis will set in, but wether that is tomorrow, or 50 years, they don't know. I broke/fractured the back. But like the Bionic Man, they put me back together and I am stronger and faster than a........... turtle. A baby turtle anyway, the big ones swim for ages without resting. I would drown.

I wish everyone was a cut to it kind of person. I hate people who beat around the bush, or that candy-coat things. The world is rough, and you are either a preditor, or you are prey. So keep barring those teeth Mimi, I like it.

WHAT, you had a radio in your cave? How'd you get power? Rubbing two sticks really fast? My dad made me peddle the bike when he wanted the radio. It was an improvement, but....

Perry Tercel
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:33 AM

A.
Rocky and Bullwinkle were before their time. And definitely needed at this time.
...and right you are: Mimi is the 'teeth and claws' (tempered by a conscientious grace) that helped me to grow -I am currently working on a re-write with a new 'voice' in my head. (Thank you, Mimi -I, most humbly, flick my bic to you, ma'am!)

Atthys,
You are right in saying 'cave'. I miss my red, hand-held transistor radio that only played that crackly AM music through that fragile 'ear-plug'. I was SO hip back then....(sigh).

Alantis
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:26 AM

Holy smoke Perry,
I am rather disappointed with your participation with an idea that you birthed. The slacker's summer pile of paragraphs was your idea come to life, and not even a check in or an addition. It hurts my heart to see this. I thought for sure you would be an active participant.

Summer Slacker's Paragraph Pile of Redonkulous Writing Challenge is open for voting and hoping people will not only vote, but be ready to contribute. Shamefully, the instigator of the whole thing is hiding on other threads and neglecting those of us who tried to make him a part of their world. For anyone else who might be curious, check out the thread, vote for a favorite, and hopefully join us for a very fun and wacky summer of free writing.
Perry Tercel
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:40 PM
You took over and have made it your own. I'm happy to have been an inspiration. I'm glad, as well, so many have awakened and joined in; it seems quite a few were looking for something like this.

Unlike you, my dear 'post-happy' friend, (he-he), I, sadly, have not had the luxury of time. My 'day-job' has been wiping me out physically. Also, more notes have been coming in for a few of my other 'book' projects and, not to mention, I'm determined to get 'The Unicorn Hero' rewritten. It's an imperative. It's also where I'm focusing 99% of my 'free' time.

You're awesome, Chuck! I've been peeking in, time to time, just to make sure everyone is healthy, if not happy. (Thanks for noting my absence -I'm not a fictional character after all.)

Sorry for disappointing you...C'est la vie, mon ami!
(But you'll get over it soon... I promise!)

Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:34 AM

I see Perry, so you are no longer counted among the slackers but a real life writer. (Laughing of course) I wish you well my friend and I hope you are at least happy and in good spirits. Glad I got your attention. Hope to see more of you in the future. And you will always have a place with us slacker's....with no progress to report.

Jump to different Forum...