Herb Mallette
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 2:19 PM

Sure is quiet these days...
Herb Mallette
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 4:27 PM

Hello?
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 6:35 PM
It doesn't seem so. And no one seems to care, I'm afraid. I noticed a problem, that the tags the website supplies to aid search engines in finding this site seem inappropriate (my blog story, Tingle, for example, has a tag of erotic, and gets a hit or two a day from that) and suggested some changes to increase the likelihood of new members finding us. But when I submitted it via the the suggestion box no one even acknowledged the letter. And when I mentioned it in the bugs folder, that generated no response, either.

It's frustrating, because I like the site and want it to succeed.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:48 PM

I'm here. I've noticed this site goes in cycles. Very, very busy - and then very, very slow. It's the holidays, so I imagine things might pick back up after the new year.

I have seen plenty of new people on here during November, so we aren't a lost hope. I imagine everyone is editing their Nano work and spending time with their families.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 2:37 AM

I check in every day to see what's going on. I have my people that I particularly follow (Jay, you're one of them) and if I don't find something that excites me, I head over to Bookkus, which is even slower than here, but for which I am writing a series of articles. 

Although I have not done much talking lately, I am in the middle of reviewing here (LeeAnna, your Ash is one of my in-progress reviews) and so I am very very busy.

I tend to by-pass the list of discussions. Instead I look for what my favorite people are talking about. If they are not active, neither am I. 

I'll try to be more self-starting.

Herb Mallette
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 8:18 AM

Glad to see that people are at least on the site, even if there's not that much discussion happening.

Thanks for replying, folks.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 2:13 PM

Yeah, I'm working on two reviews as well as finishing up the edits on my last six chapters so I can get them up here.

Then there is watching Supernatural on Netflix with my mom, in which I proceed to driver her crazy by pointing out world building holes and plot issues. The last one is almost always followed by paraphrasing Occam's Razor. My mom then tells me it's only a show and to just watch it. Learning to write well has ruined me. Oh well.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 7:17 PM

I'm around.  I check in most days.   Once again, I am revamping the Wren.  That, and a certain amount of domestic drama, is keeping me pretty busy.  But I do think of you folks often.  
Herb Mallette
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:47 AM

@LeeAnna: Yeah, there's nothing like building your own plot to make you realize how hard really good plotting is but how easy most stupid plot holes would be to fix. Good pacing and a satisfying arc are really tough, but most TV plot problems could be fixed with a line or two of dialogue. It's kind of sad that people who can do a fair job on the former often can't be bothered with the effort needed to patch up the latter.

@Atthys: Sorry about your domestic drama. If only that were a more marketable genre ...
GD Deckard
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:27 PM

I do touch-and-goes on this site. My excuse for not spending more time here is twofold. 1. I'm writing & 2. I'm lazy, so, unless I see something pertinent to either, I log off in default to excuse number 2.

On a brighter note, my novel is at the point where it writes itself. But I have to remain immersed in it to keep that advantage.

If I had to guess when this site will pick up again, I'd guess after the Holidays.

Happy Holidays to All!

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:10 PM

@Herb: I know, right? I hate when they get overly complicated when there is a simple solution hanging in the air like proper communication. My mom and I do agree on that point. Cut the angst and anger, and talk. When confessing indiscretions will solve everything, but characters go seasons lying to each other, I want to throttle them (and the writers). It's amazing how much communication can solve everything.

I have to admit, as an older sibling whose close to my little bro, I would beat the crap out of Sam. Whiney, selfish prick.

@Atthys: Sorry about your domestic drama too. Just remember, family is there to make us laugh, cry, and pull out every strand of our hair.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:44 PM

GD,

I envy you, and I caution you. Writes itself works, until it doesn't.

You get high on it, do you not? You throw your heart over the hurdle, as my husband puts it. You throw caution to the winds, convinced that your muse is leading you aright. Take it from one who knows.

Atthys Gage
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:07 PM

You know what they say:  "Little children, little problems.  Big children, big problems."  

Boy is that true.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's support.  We'll weather the weather whatever the weather, whether we like it or not.  
Herb Mallette
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:39 AM

@GD: My personal theory is that laziness is an adaptive evolutionary trait that allows us to preserve our mental and physical strength for the moments that really matter. Like staying up all night finishing a first draft.

@LeeAnna: All humans make sub-optimal choices in their relationships, so I don't mind a certain amount of that in fictional characters. But writers too often ignore the fact that human beings don't like it when real-life people regularly make sub-optimal choices, and that the more a person or character does the wrong thing, the less we like them, and the less we're willing to root for them.

@Mimi: It sounded to me like GD is aware of the need to remain vigilant!

@Atthys: Children ... !

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:59 PM

I understand that. I call it the healthy dose of stupid. We all have our moments when we screw up for one reason or another whether it be pride, ignorance, love, distrust, anger, or a whole host of other blinding emotions. Most writers don't understand that the relationship between the character and the audience is one of trust. The audience needs something reliable about the character(s). (I'm going to generalize here, so bear with me.) Most modern gung-ho heroes aren't too bright, but we know they'll risk everything to save the day. Intelligent characters usually don't have the most solid morals, but we can count on them to come up with a plan. There are always people that make sub-optimal choices who are lovable as well.

What it essentially comes down to is how a character handles making a sub-optimal choice. When they acknowledge it and how is very important. Self-aware characters who try to fix their mistakes/problems are more sympathetic than those that shrug it off and keep screwing up.

But writers can screw up simple character development like that in a whole host of ways. I've seen it. We all have. TV is very guilty.

Herb Mallette
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:16 PM

Yeah, making mistakes and owning up to them are both good character-building devices when used right. What infuriates me most on TV is when no one seems to even notice the sub-optimal choice -- when characters routinely make idiotic decisions resulting in terrible consequences, and neither they nor the people around them seem to recognize that a bad decision is at fault.
MariAdkins
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:51 PM
I'm still here. I'm just not here as much as I used to be. I'm working on an editing project I should have had finished this time last month. So, my time is devoted to something other than the internet right now.

I'm with you all, though - I'd love to see this site get more traffic. It needs a much better system than what it has, though.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:37 PM

Energy waxes and wanes on all these sites. The lack of input means to me that people are working diligently on their pet projects. 

I'm in the doldrums, myself. And I'm trying to talk myself out of it. I will, sooner or later.

Herb Mallette
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 7:12 PM

@Mari: I kind of imagine that someone somewhere is fighting a resources fight saying, "We need better systems to attract more users," while someone else says, "Without more traffic, we can't justify spending the development money on better systems."

@Mimi: Good luck with the doldrums. I had a long spell there and finally had to change projects to get out of them.
MariAdkins
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:00 PM
Oh, I've heard the reasons we don't have a better message board ... :headdesk:

Jump to different Forum...