RSS Feed Print
Famous Persons' Names, Can We Use'm?
Joe Bridges
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:07 PM

One of my alien friends (a character in my book) who has been monitoring broadcasts in the Solar System (apparently watching lots of action movies) from the Gliese 570 system (19.2 light-year time delay, but oh well) wants to talk about his favorite movie stars. It seems King Aban etn'Zhah of the Ven likes movies with Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jackie Chan, and Mel Gibson because they always have lots of great action AND funny one-liners. Can he say so in my book? King Aban wants to know, lol.
Joe Bridges
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:04 AM

Okay, nevermind. I googled it, and found out that celebrities don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy in such matters. As long as we don't make some libelous statement about them, apparently we can use their names in this way.

WARNING: DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. lol.

I may or may not be the world's best googler, and I'm definitely not a lawyer.

;0)

Joe Bridges
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:05 AM

(Grumbles to himself) I wish I had just googled it in the first place.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:09 AM

While you are correct that celebrities do not have an expectation of privacy, they DO have a right to their image. I would say tread carefully.
Joe Bridges
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:02 AM

Thank you, Alexandria.

Here are a couple of links I should have found before starting this thread:

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/questions-and-quandaries/copyrights/using-famous-names-and-proper-nouns-in-fiction

http://ask.metafilter.com/94328/Legal-question-about-using-celebrities-in-works-of-fiction

Apparently, as long as we are not defaming anyone's character, it is actually more desirable than offensive to them to be remember as iconic to a certain time period.

Jump to different Forum...