RSS Feed Print
Do You Write Multiple Endings and If So, How Do You Choose?
Marcie
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:43 PM

I often write multiple endings to my stories, each designed to play off a different scene or plot point in the story. Then eventually, usually after the story has gone through several drafts, one ending will stand out to me as the perfect one. This time I have two that stand out. That's never happened to me before and I don't know how I'm going to choose. 

Do you write multiple endings, and if so, how do you choose which one to go with?

Michelle Mills
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:53 AM

I haven't experienced that as my ending is merely an outline at this point, but I say go with your gut. Something to consider: Are you planning for a sequel, or the possibility of one? If this is the case, you might not want everything tied up in a neat little bow.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll pick the right one. If you get stuck, ask your characters. That's what I would do

Michelle

RJBlain
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:45 AM

I don't write multiple endings... when I start, I have to have a good idea of what my ending will be. I have a lot of plot threads that all need to tie together, so if I don't know where I'm going, I can't keep an eye on if my characters are making the appropriate choices. I may have some variations on the last chapter wrap-ups, but by that point, there aren't a whole lot of options that are feasible for the choices the characters make.

The closest I get to writing multiple endings is to pursue 'what if this character made THIS choice instead' -- but that is only for personal play.

LilySea
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:02 AM

I sometimes have trouble deciding who should be in/speak in the last scene. In the case of my most recently finished novel, I let the "main" secondary characters wrap up the book. Which sounds kinda weird, but I think works.

In previous books, I had written multiple last scenes. Deciding on a final scene is actually the hardest part for me. I look to beta readers for help with this.
Marcie
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:43 PM

Thanks everyone. Lots for me to think about here.

Jump to different Forum...