RSS Feed Print
Pseudo-Biographical Characters
Charles Dove
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:32 PM

In all of the recent stories I've written, there always seems to be at least one character with whom I share similarities of appearance, character and/or behavior.

The character doesn't even have to be part of the primary cast, but somehow I unconsciously slip in elements of myself. Is this true for anyone else? And is this something that should be avoided?

Michael L Martin Jr
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:46 PM

I think all writers do this at some point or another, consciously of unconsciously. I'm guilty of it. We interpret the world through our own senses and it's sometimes unavoidable, or even preferable, that our own ideas/traits seep into our writing.

But I would say that most of the time this sort of thing should be consciously avoided once you spot it, especially if it stands out in any kind of way. Your characters aren't you (unless they are an intended representation of you). They should always look and behave in a way that's authentic to their character.

The issue that can arise when making your characters to similar to yourself is that you may be too cautious to place them in conflict or make their lives worse. You may get overprotective of them and end up making things easier on them. They might lack flaws and be too perfect. You also run the risk of writing an inconsistent character, one who may be guided by the plot and not their own decisions.
Charles Dove
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:50 PM

@Michael: Yeah, I can definitely see the problem with those kind of attachment issues. I actually don't have a problem throwing my characters into danger. It's part of the excitement to me! lol I began writing my most recent short story fully understanding that it will NOT have a happy ending. But like you said, I'm working to consciously avoid injecting myself into the story, even if it's in a subtle way. Thanks!

Jump to different Forum...