RSS Feed Print
What does it take to make sf romantic?
Jim Martin
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:09 PM

The characters in a lot of sf novels fall in love. Is this all it takes to make them romantic sf? 
Robert C Roman
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:05 PM

I get into a lot of discussions on the difference between 'romance' and 'strong romantic elements'. The 'by the book' response appears to be whether the central plot line revolves aournd the relationship between the hero and heroine, as well as whether it hits the 'essential elements' of a romance novel.

From Taylor over in the 'Elements of a Romance Novel' thread, those are:

1. Society defined- it is flawed, incomplete and/or corrupt. It oppresses the main character socially, physically or emotionally. It establishes the status quo. ex: Mrs. Bennett discussion of BIngley and Darcy's wealth.
2. The Meeting- Introduction to characters/hint at conflict
3. The Barrier- a series of scenes, establishes reasons for marriage's impossibility, external or internal. Could be (but not limited to) society, family, economic situation, coincidence, setting (geography)
4. The Attraction: series of scenes, establishes reason for marriage. Keeps characters involved to surmount barrier. (sexual chemistry, friendship, shared goals/feelings, social experience, economic issue)
5. The Declaration: a movable element that influences tone of novel. Can be early or at the end, but sharing of feelings always occurs
6. Point of Ritual Death: the point in the novel where resolution seems impossible (the break up, the kidnapping, the Misunderstanding).
7. The Recognition: new information enters in to overcome the barrier. If external, it is removed or disregarded. If internal, the psyche is understood, dealt with.
8. The Betrothal: (HEA).

Replace 'Betrothal' and 'Marriage' with 'HEA' and 'Relationship' for romances where marriage isn't the goal state.

However, all that said, I've noticed something. I've got five published stories out, three of which fit the 'book' definition of romance. *All* of them have been dinged for 'not being real romance'. Curious, I went and did some research. I.E. I read the novels those same folks talked about as 'real' romance novels, especially those that were in the same general genre as mine, i.e. Paranormal / SteamPunk Romance with a strong action / adventure element. What I found was enlightening.

In the novels dubbed 'real' romances, the characters, both male and female *obsess* over the relationship. In the middle of a life-or-death situation, where a moment's inattention could kill the Hero and put the Heroine into durance vile for all eternity, not only is the partner on the sidelines thinking more about whether the other really likes / loves them, the one *in the middle of the fight* is thinking more about the girl than the person out to kill them. Not in a 'I have to do this for him / her' way or a 'he / she gives me the strength to overcome'. They're doing deep introspection about the relationship. The real kicker is that it's not played for laughs, the way I've seen it done in campy movies. It's played completely straight.

Now, not everyone who reads my stuff says it's 'not romance'. But if you're interested in writing SF with strong romantic elements *OR* Sci Fi Romance, know that while you've got a very dedicated and hungry fan base, you'll *also* have very vocal detractors from both the Romance and SF sides of the fence.
LilySea
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 2:09 AM

Thank you for laying out the formula like that. I have been wondering about this myself (and put my query in the plot thread).

It seems to me that the conventions of "real romance" are more narrowly prescriptive than any other "genre." But maybe I just don't know my genre fiction well enough.

In my case, I don't want to write something that will be viewed as primarily romance, because I worry most book professionals would see F/F romance as broadly appealing to a general audience (but it is! it is!). And I want to write for a general audience.

Now, if I was writing a heterosexual relationship into my story, I can see wanting to be able to put that into the romance category because of the huge audience available for that kind of book.

I am still sorting this one out. I'll be doing some major revisions and your list of conventions will be a big help.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:44 PM

On an amusing side note, M/F romance might or might not sell, but M/M romance would be the near guaranteed sell you think M/F might be.

If it's M/M *erotic* romance, apparently the bar is even lower.

As for the 'requirements' - check the thread over in Romance, the one I posted the name of. It talks about the requirements of a romance, and there are a LOT of folks who don't agree with all of them. Personally, I think they may all *be* required, but there's a huge amount of flexibility to how they're implemented.

Think about it this way -

1 - Setting, complete with external romantic barrier
2 - Intro the characters
3 - Conflict - why it won't work
4 - Development of the relationship
5 - The characters declare their feelings openly
6 & 7 - Climax; seeming impossibility overcome
8 - HEA

The folks on the thread over in romance kinda were of the opinion that all you need is 2 and 8.
Jim Martin
Posted: Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:44 PM

Hi LilySea.

Maybe this is a perennial question: can a genre novel appeal to a broad general audience? And vice versa, can a novel written for a broad general audience appeal to genre fans?

What do you think, Robert?
Robert C Roman
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:18 PM

Sorry about the delay in reply, life is crazy.

For the first part of your question, I have two things to say.
1 - Harry Potter
2 - Twilight.

'nuff said.

As for the second, a novel written for a broad general audience *can* appeal to genre fans, but there are some very common mistakes made by mainstream authors who try to write genre fiction. Typically, for the authors who take genre fiction seriously, they revolve around not being familiar with genre conventions. Authors who don't take genre fiction seriously... I won't even go into the issues they have. I think the root of the problem for both groups is that mainstream authors think that genre fiction is 'easy to write'.

One thing to watch out for is a contemporary fiction story with stock 'genre' characters and scenery bolted on over top. Mainstream fans won't like the added whatnots, Genre fans will see through it, and both groups will realize that the thing is a Frankensteinian amalgam that should never have been created.

With all that said - it *can* be done. Genre retellings of classic tales are almost a subgenre in and of themselves. Just be aware that when you set up the same situation in a different world, with characters who might not have fully human motivations, you might not get the same results.
LilySea
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:47 PM

I am not a "genre fan" myself, but lots of sci-fi appeals to me. Lots of fantasy does too. Perhaps I simply want to appeal to the twelve other truly eclectic readers in the world. In which case, I'm golden, I guess!
Jim Martin
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:06 PM

Hi Lily. Appealing to those twelve truly eclectic readers sounds like a good plan.

Jump to different Forum...