RSS Feed Print
Tagging your story. Are you missing out?
M Romero Nunn
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012 2:00 PM

Hi all,
So here's the thing. I'm a romance girl at heart. Love the lovey stuff in romcom style, historical, mystery, supernatural, realistic, crime and so on. But when i write it's love AND...
I find I enjoy tying it up with other genres or action plotlines. So i've tagged my BritSupLovMyst story as a paranormal mystery. So far i've had one reviewer who is now following the book, which is very encouraging but I'm wondering now if i should re-tag into the Romance section? So, I'd like to hear from y'all:  Are you drawn to the books that show up in the Romance section above all others? Or are you tempted to look into other genres, recognising that there's a high probability one of their themes is romance.  Granted there's a fuller tagging system when you click on the book cover BUT do you click on the cover if the colour's not purple? Has anyone swapped tags and found themselves with a wider review audience? Just wondering...
Bloomin' 'eck! Wait a Cor Blimey minute! How about a Carousel Tag that automatically changes your story's visible cover genre every two weeks  to another which the story also touches on based on how many you tick off? Just a thought...
Joe Bridges
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 8:09 AM

I love it when Brits say "y'all". You even spelled it right!

Yes, Ma'am (read with moderate-to-heavy Louisiana drawl please) I do think you're on the button here with your thoughts on tags, and on the presence of romance in most books. I always use tags whenever I can and as MUCH as I can, even if I'm just uploading a YouTube starring our dogs.

On Book Country, though, I think your best route to getting more of an audience is something you are probably doing already: reading, reviewing, and commenting more books in more genres. I am always curious about people who review or comment on my book or on my connections' books. I almost always go to their profiles to see if they have something uploaded that I can peruse.

Anyone else have thoughts? I feel (often) that my responses are inadequate, need someone else to come fill in the gaps.
M Romero Nunn
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 1:15 PM

Hi again Joe,

'Ere,I could've said 'what do you's lot think'? which is a bit more Laaaandon vernacular. Ha! But I thought it best to do the ol' when in Rome...

You make an interesting point  about reading the work of others and reviewing, also in the hope, but  certainy not limited to, (hark at me? I sound like a laywer) the compliment being reciprocated. I certainly try to read my reviewer's work and leave a review of my own. Unortunately not every reader leaves a review  so that you can actually do so (I've even got someone following the book who didn't leave a review at all. Huh? Thanks for the compliment whoever you are)...My draft has been updated lately so it's 10 chapters, but i do make it clear no-one need read more than they wish before reviewing.  Hmmn, perhaps it still worth leaving a small review thus far in the case of these non-commital readers, to at least allow the writer an understanding on how his first few paragraphs are being met. For me the review does become the calling card so I can also look at this writer's work as that's what we're all here for I guess.

Still, it would be good to hear whether others go out of their personal taste zone when reviewing or whether they prefer to stick to 'what they know' as it were...

Jump to different Forum...