RSS Feed Print
Characters who just can't seem to stay together.
C Baughman
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:06 PM

Does anyone else notice that trending idea in young adult romance novels? Every one I read, whether it be realistic or fantastic, no main character can manage to stay with their significant other. I realize relationships have their ups and downs and not everyone stays together forever, but am I not alone in seeing that most of what is out there lately consists of the main character falling in love with someone but continually hooks up and then breaks up with them?

My question is; do you enjoy reading material like this? Do you think it is mirroring real life relationship problems or do you think the "true love conquers all" bit is too over-done?

I can see both sides, but I wanted to know what you all think.

LisaMarie
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:22 AM

Funny you asked this question … for some reason, I was thinking about the Judy Blume book, “Forever,” tonight. My older cousins took it to school wrapped in brown butcher paper, because it was banned on the premises – also, most parents in my small town ‘burb wouldn’t let their kids read “Forever.” This book was serious contraband, LOL!

All I remember about it was that the two MCs fell in love, had sex and broke up in the end – I think the MFC initiated the break-up. When I look back on this book, I think it’s somewhat accurate of what first love might have been like (although in most cases, the guy broke up with the girl who “went all the way,” not vice versa). But the Blume book was a big exception to the rule. “Forever” was thoughtful, poignant …

I cannot attest to YA books today – I don’t read them. I suppose that a lot of authors are trying to write to their audience. If there’s a tendency for the MCs to hook up and part company afterward without a lot of thought put into it, that’s a real shame …

C Baughman
Posted: Sunday, May 8, 2011 4:24 PM

I agree with you both. I myself have no problem with romance or characters not staying together the entire series, but I've grown a bit tired of the monotonous "I want to be with you, but (blank) is keeping us apart" and it grows to be all the series is about. It makes a book more complex to have a creative plot, instead of focusing the series on whether or not two characters will stay together. It happens more with a series than single novels. It's like the entire novel is them fighting to be together, they finally get together, then right at the end something else tears them apart. This goes on for several books. I wasn't only talking about YA, but it's mostly what I read so I just noticed it more.
Alex Sinclair
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:34 PM

I didn't know this happened in YA books alot. I am a romance and erotic romance author, but I have written YA stories for magazines in the past and I have just finished my first YA under a pen name. I actually wrote that because most of my romance novels are suspense/gothic, which means fairly dark themes with betrayal, corruption, adultery. The kids book I wanted to do a more positive message about sticking with the people that are important to you and how loyalty, respect, faithfulness are important. I honestly didn't realise that YA books had such oddly negative character relationships.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:47 PM

Urgh. I hate it. Usually because the reasons for the breakup boil down to angst, which is annoying, and lack of commitment, which is just plain unforgivable in a 'one true love'.

If the story (or series) is about a person who goes through a whole list of significant others? Well, ok, I can follow along, but the person ought to be up front about not going for the long term. Otherwise they come across as painfully indecisive.

Just my 2c, no real insights into anything deeper.

Jump to different Forum...