RSS Feed Print
Why you should come to Twitter for Workshopping and Making Writer Connections
KD Proctor
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:54 PM

I'm sad to see BC moving more to a forum site.    

If you're like me and you hoped that BC would be a place where you could connect with others to share your work and get some feedback--and it didn't really happen for you (or not at all)--I want to encourage you to come over to Twitter if you aren't already.  

Twitter, I know, is hit or miss for folks.  They hate the idea of 140 characters.  Connecting with people when you're shy/introverted (says the extreme introvert).  Some people only tweet their buy links and spam the crap out of you (that mute button is a lifesaver).  I get it.  

But honestly...there are great writer connections there.  If you put yourself out there, you'll get it in return.  There are critique partner match ups 3-4 times a year.  Offers to Beta read work.  Writing contests to get paired with agented or published authors (which is where you meet other authors!  Even if you're not picked, you make new connections!).  Pitch contests.  If you've got a book coming out there are groups you can join to help promote your work.  I would've NEVER found that had I not reactivated my twitter account.  I met my critique partners on twitter.  I've made awesome connections and have gotten help with my work to get it query ready.  I have learned more about publishing and the craft of writing from twitter than I have anywhere else.  

Follow hashtags to meet others.  Here are some that are popular that I'm seeing on my feed:

#ficfest --writing contest taking place in the spring where hopefuls are paired up with mentors to get their work spiffed up.  MANY mentors are agented or have extensive editing experience.

#pitchwars --while this contest is over for this year, you can find authors to connect with.  If you follow the host, Brenda Drake, she hosts other pitch contests (like PitMad, PitMatch, etc).

#cpmatch --great for finding critique partners or beta readers.  Happens 3-4 times a year.  

#tenqueries (or #10queries) --agents post what queries got pages and which ones got passed.  Great for seeing trends.

#amwriting --just a hashtag writers use to say that they're writing.  I used to think the AM stood for the morning.  NOPE.  ha!

#amediting --same as above, but for editing.

#1LineWed --this is a GREAT hashtag...every Wednesday there is a theme and you find 1 line from your book that fits the theme (don't cheat and use a screenshot).  You can meet AWESOME writers on this one.  Host is RWAKissofDeath and they post the theme in advance.

#2bitTues --same as above, but on Tuesday.  I don't know if there is an official theme.

You get the idea.  Twitter is like any other environment--if you put out good, you get good in return.  

If you want to connect--hit me up:  https://twitter.com/kdpwrites 

Good luck everyone--your writing goals are still possible, even if BC is changing things up.

Kelley

Jump to different Forum...