RSS Feed Print
Friday Accountability Group
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 11:46 PM
Thanks, Noelle
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2015 2:53 PM

Today is Friday, so I must be held accountable. Urg.

I've been slacking. Really, really slacking. Which is really, really bad. I've given myself a mental kick in the rear today, though. I'm going to sit down, shut up, and start typing. There's no excuse for laziness when it comes to your profession. Destiny's Bond has been neglected for far too long--an entire two/three weeks. Ouch.

I've no reason for my slacking. None at all. Distractions were at a minimal. I only have myself to blame. I'm going to find a small, quiet nook, pop in my earbuds, and let the music drown out the world around me while I sear away at the keyboard.

A part of my problem might have been the spot I was writing, now that I think about it--those chapters gave me hell. My characters didn't want to cooperate, the words didn't want to sound right . . . What makes it more unfair is that the scenes went exactly as they were suppose to. The words just didn't read right to me. They still don't.

It's probably just me, though. I'm a sucker for getting really critical of my own writing. Now that I've gotten past the rough patch, I'm betting that when I go back to read it, it'll sound find--Damn you, Evil Voice in my head, trying to make me think I'm not writing good enough!

Ahem.

How are my fellow Accountability Group members doing? I pray your own writing has fared better than mine.

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2015 3:26 PM

I've managed about 1000-1500 every day this week (except Monday and today, thanks to vet visits with my senior cat...the hits keep comin, huh?), but it's a far cry from the 3k I was aiming for. Still working on today's word count, which I will jump on as soon as my day job work is completed.

Amber - you can do it!! The inner editor is a bitch, so tie her up, muzzle her, and put her in a closet until you're done.

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 8:28 PM

You're totally right about the inner editor, Noelle--I went and reread that spot I was having trouble with, and it sounds totally fine now, aside from minor tweaks I'll be making in my next edit-through. I also wrote 300 words yesterday, and another 500 today. It's not a lot, but I'm getting there.

I hope to have Destiny's Bond; Volume I written in its entirety between August 3rd and August 16, so I can have a full manuscript to send if it turns out Hodderscape's interested in the rest (A longshot, I know, being unpublished and all, but an opportunity like this isn't likely to show up again, so I've got to take it).

How's your writing going, Lucy?

NoellePierce
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:20 PM

I'm checking in early because my deadline is tomorrow and I still have WAY too much to write, so I'm going to be writing every spare chance I get. I've written every day this week, though, and most days, I'm getting about 2000 words in. I haven't been keeping close track of things because I'm focused on just getting scenes written. Tonight, I've got my espresso machine on and ready, my water for in between, and all night to write. I'm looking forward to being done because all this caffeine is giving me some wicked side effects (like clenching my teeth, which hurts my jaw and gives me a headache most mornings). Can't wait to go back to one caffeinated drink in the morning only again.  

Hope you guys are having a stellar week! 

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2015 8:23 PM

Agh! I forgot to post on Friday

I'm doing better. Been going through a re-read of my finished chapters to polish them. Destiny's Bond is near finished--just a few more chapters and it'll be done.

What about you, Lucy? We seemed to have missed you last week

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2015 9:28 PM

How did it get to be Friday again already?? 

Um...I did not meet my deadline. I'm still about 6-10k away from finishing the book. I did write a few hundred words a day this week, except for yesterday because of school supply shopping and school orientation. Kids go back to school Monday. *cue chorus of angels singing Hallelujah*

I wanna write!

How'd you guys do this week?

Noelle

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2015 10:14 PM

Wow, I made it in time to post! Yay

I've been having some trouble with Destiny's Bond. I feel like my writing is sliding, almost. As though I'm reverting to when I first started out writing. This, of course, is my fault for not keeping at it everyday.

I shall remedy this. Even if it kills me.

What about you, Lucy? We haven't heard from you for about two weeks now. Is everything okay?

NoellePierce
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 6:28 PM

Just a quick *squee* and then I'm back to work. I broke 70k!! Thought that would never happen with this book. Whew. Still have about three scenes to write and another couple to finish (I've never bounced around so much in my life, but when the muse says to write a different scene, I listen. I'd rather write a different scene than bang my head against the wall trying to make another one work).

x♥x

--edited by NoellePierce on 8/9/2015, 6:29 PM--

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 7:54 AM
Great, Noelle! I'm glad the Muse is finally cooperating with you
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 11:36 AM

YAY!!! That is so awesome, Noelle!

I have to say, bouncing around is new to me and I think it works really well for getting more words out and keeping up the momentum. Well done!!

Sorry I have been MIA--I was on vacation in Wisconsin and was (fairly blissfully) unable to access the internet. I read books and looked at trees. Heaven!

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 11:32 PM
Hi, Lucy! I'm glad your vacation was fun/relaxing for you
NoellePierce
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:45 AM

Lucy, where in WI? My mom lives up in Sturgeon Bay and I have no phone signal at her house. I wouldn't call it "blissful," though. I'm 100% addicted to internet, and my excuse is that my job requires it. I do so love my enabling job...

I know it's not Friday yet, but I had to report that I got 2300 words yesterday!! I'm almost done with this project. I'm writing again today and then I have to grade for the aforementioned job. 

Hope you guys are having a great week!

Noelle

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:53 PM

Awesome, Noelle! Get it done, get it published, and send me a free copy!!!

I'm kidding. You don't gotta send me a free copy, unless you want to, lol

--edited by Amber J. Wolfe on 8/12/2015, 6:05 PM--

Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:14 PM

Noelle, that is too funny! We were on Washington Island, also in Door County. I have been to Sturgeon Bay many times! And yes, the cell phone signal up there almost never works for me. Internet at the house is sketchy too. I *LOVE* it because though I am totally addicted to the internet (and yes, I use my job as an excuse, too!) it feels like such a welcome break to not look at a screen. I can only handle it for about 2 days, though. Then I start itching for social media and online shopping and all the rest.

2300 words is NO JOKE!!! Way to go, Noelle! And I agree with Amber--finish up and send me a copy!

I'm feeling okay about my writing this week. I have gotten back into the swing of things working on my WIP every day. I have been doing A LOT of editing and I really enjoy that part.

NoellePierce
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:59 PM

I still have a few rounds of editing to do before I can send polished copies, but I'll definitely be putting a few chapters up on BC. The beginning isn't changing significantly, but I know the MCs' motivations a little better now so can make the first few chapters a little more cohesive. And tons of words/repetitions to search and destroy after I'm sure the plot and content edits are done. No sense line editing something that might get cut, yanno?

Lucy, Northern Door is so pretty...I was there last month and all I wanted was to dig up a cherry tree--they were all full of fruit! Sadly, my brother reminded me that I would need two or three to make it fruit here, and he didn't have that much room in his truck. *sob*

Congrats on your writing! 20 times to make a habit!

This actually reminds me. I had a FB friend who challenged us to write at least 100 words a day, every day, without fail. I long since stopped, but she is now on day 2, 153 (as of today). According to Amazon, she's also published 13 books since 2011. I figured I'd bring this up because it's not only inspirational, but also shows that steady may be slow, but it's effective.

Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 5:47 PM

Don't say cherry tree . . . makes me long for the cherry pie we were eating last week--so delicious!!

100 words a day for over 2K days. Incredible!! Smart woman.

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:08 PM

I'm still in a kind of rut, but last night I managed 1,000 words. Destiny's Bond is really close to completion. I'm thinking after a couple more chapters, Volume I will be finished and I can start on the serious edits.

I'm glad your writing is going well, Noelle, Lucy

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 8:31 AM

How is it Friday again, already? Did the week fly by for you guys, too? 

I've written 500 words total this entire week, thanks to a few other projects that have taken up my time. And the next  month or so will be busy busy as I prep for my conference (Lucy, you have an email this morning!). Not sure how much writing I'm going to be able to do, but I hope to be able to finish the book so I can actually have something to pitch at the conference (first time in YEARS, though I'm not complaining...takes the edge off interacting with editors and agents when you're just chatting and not worried about elevator pitches. )

It's all grading and conference prep for me in the next couple of days, but maybe the kids will let me write this weekend. Bwahahahahaha.

How'd your week go?

x♥x

N

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 3:02 PM

I've written a little this week, at least. Currently, I'm writing a short story for a competition, and still whittling away at Destiny's Bond, which I've yet to finish. I'm so close my teeth ache!

I'm thinking my hesitance to finish the novel is because then I'm one step closer to the story being finished. I mean, I have plans for short stories and other stuff after the Trilogy is done, but in a way, I don't want the main story finished. Is that strange?

How about you, Lucy? Are you excited to see all these authonomites joining the site?

NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 8:14 PM

Amber, I don't think that's weird at all! In fact, that might be my issue, too. Two freakin scenes and I can't seem to finish it! 

I'm following the one intro thread with the Authonomites, but have they livened up the rest of the discussions, too? I'm afraid to look. They're going to keep you busy if they stay, Lucy. The forum was a HUGE center of activity on Autho years ago when I was still a member there (before I found you guys, of course...then I never looked back. )

I'm going in to try and write a little tonight. I've been totally consumed with making art for my coloring book lately. Had I mentioned that project to you guys? I'm super excited about it. I found a source of income from my art! (Besides book covers, of course. LOL)

Have a great week!

x♥x

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 10:11 PM

No, you didn't tell us you were making a coloring book, Noelle. That's awesome!

What kind of coloring book is it? Is it for children or adults--Yes, I've actually seen coloring books for adults, and no, I wasn't looking for one myself.

I hope your writing continues to go well!

I've been doing my best to chug through this darn scene in Destiny's Bond that's giving me a heck of a time--Introducing seven characters at once, who all walk in at the same time, toward the end of the book. It's giving me a bloody headache. Who knew that introducing Court members could be a pain in the butt?

Doesn't help that three of them are of a different species/race. Grumble.

Oh, Luuuucy? Where are yoooou? Are you hiding on me? Authonomites got you busy, eh? Hehe

NoellePierce
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:44 AM

Amber, it actually IS for adults. They're everywhere, including B&N. Much more complex designs than the kids' books. I'll post a link (to the Facebook Page) when they go live, and I'll be posting a free one each week or so there.
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:27 PM

Cool! Talent deserves to be recognized

Hope you're having fun with it!

Amber

Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:51 PM

Welp! What day is it? What's writing again?

JK. Yes, things have been busy . . . you 2 have been so awesome answering threads here on the forums. Thank you so much!

And so glad to hear everyone is having a writerly end to the summer--me too. I've been squeezing in at least a couple hundred words in almost every day!

Amber--fingers crossed on this competition! Is this a new story?

Noelle--I am obsessed with coloring, fill me in ASAP!!!!

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:27 PM

The competition I'm entering is on Scribophile, another writer's workshopping site. If I win, I'll get a free year of Scribophile Premuim and some karma points. No money, and not an official competition, but it looks fun.

Yes, I'm entering a new story. It's based in my fantasy world Drugara, and must be no more than 2,000 words. A challenge, but I'm having fun with it

Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:29 PM

Very cool, Amber!
NoellePierce
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:52 PM

Lucy, a friend of mine told me about adult coloring books and recommended I make one, since it fits with my artist side. I've got about 30 done and want 50 spirograph-type images to put together and then I'll publish it. I've got several ideas for themes, like illuminated calligraphy (that one will only have 26 pages, instead of 50, for obvious reasons), and Hungarian embroidery (if you haven't seen it, you should Google it...it's freakin' gorgeous), and stained glass patterns. So, basically, I've been playing on Illustrator a LOT making cool-looking graphics and having a blast.

Amber, good luck!! Keep us posted with it.

x♥x

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:27 PM
Will do!
NoellePierce
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:35 PM

I'm a day early, but I'm going out of town tomorrow and won't be able to post. I got about 1000 words this week (total). Still struggling with that one scene, but mostly because I can't make it work the way I want it too, thanks to historical limitations. WHY COULDN'T POKER HAVE BECOME POPULAR IN THE REGENCY??? That would really make my life easier. LOL

Anywho, I'll see you guys next week! xxx

Posted: Friday, September 4, 2015 11:45 AM

Happy Friday! How are you both feeling about your output this week?

I am feeling good!!! I have 3 completed chapters of my WIP and I have written every day on various other chapters. Looking forward to writing a bunch this weekend!

I am actually starting to think that perhaps I will put up the 3 chapters here on Book Country. A little nervous to show this to people (literally NO ONE has seen it), but since I spend all day encouraging others to post their work, I should put my money where my mouth is, so to speak!

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2015 11:57 AM

Hey there! 

This week didn't really start for me writing-wise until Wednesday, when I reached out to the Regency chapter of RWA and asked for help. It turns out the stepfather of poker WAS played in the Regency. I spent a lot of yesterday plotting and researching, and today I'm planning to write. I'm on the cusp of finishing! *happy dance, which looks quite a bit like The Carlton*

You should totally put your chapters up here, Lucy! Let us know when you do!

Okay. Internet is now fixed, gotta do a little day job work, then write!

x♥x

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2015 11:57 AM

Ooogh. I've been editing my first chapters more than writing this week -_-

I've been eking through this one chapter I'm having a heck of a time with--there's a lot of speaking parts in it. Basically, I have ten people all carrying on a conversation at the same time. It's a looooot of talking, little action. My characters are convening with the Court in my fantasy world, petitioning them for the protection of a Light Nythpath. Every character speaks, ping-ponging dialogue back-and-forth.

It's maddening! Seems I'm piddling sentences more than whole scenes . . .

Post up to Book Country, Lucy! I'm sure there's curious minds here interested to see what you've been writing

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 1:49 PM

How is it Friday again, already?? 

I managed to finally finish the scene I started last week. And that ended up needing another scene to tie things in. I've added a few lines to the second-to-last scene, and now I'm struggling with the last one. I don't know how to start it. What I want to happen (and mostly needs to happen) takes a separation of the hero/heroine, but they've just declared their love for each other. I don't want readers to feel like the next scene (where they physically express their love, if you know what I mean) isn't a good enough payout. It's the final one, so it's got to be GOOD. No pressure. Sigh. One of these days, I'll actually finish. 

...why does it feel like I say that every week??

How did you guys do this week?

x♥x

Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 2:24 PM

Noelle, it sounds like you are making lots of progress. For me, I feel like I can tell I am making progress when I can at least list specific next steps rather than just a general "and I guess I've got to keep going!!"

I'm doing good this week! I have written at least 250 words every day and have another chapter (chapter 4) *nearing* completion. Baby steps!

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2015 1:00 AM

Aaawg! I'm laaaate

Sorry for not checking in on Friday, guys--I wanted to get some writing done before I posted, but learned my mother might have throat cancer before that happened.

Yeah, that kind of ruined my mood for writing. And threw posting to the Friday Accountability thread right out of my mind.

So, I managed to squeeze out maybe 70 words this week. Ain't that something? Ahaha . . .

My family is having troubles--we're being kicked out of our home and need to find somewhere else to live. This means giving up my cat, which I've had for nine years ever since she was weaned off her mom's teat--this is devastating to me. I feel like her surrogate mother and now I have to give her up.

My mom might be diagnosed with throat cancer. We're not sure yet if that's what she has because she needs to get more testing.

This is the reason my writing has been lacking of late, guys. Just wanted to let you know it's not because I'm purposely slacking . . .

I'm happy your writing is going well, Lucy, Noelle.

Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:17 PM

Amber, I am so sorry to hear this. As a pet owner my heart is breaking for you. Also, you must be so worried about your mom. Big hug and please let me know if there is anything we can do for you to brighten your day/week on Book Country.
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 4:43 PM

Thanks, Lucy. And yes, I'm worried about my mom. Right now we're waiting for Anne Arbor Hospital to call and set up an appointment for mom to get official tests done. So far both her regular doctor and her dentist is concerned it might be cancer.

On the sorta up side, I finished the chapter that's been giving me a headache for a month. Sat down this morning and chewed out the last part of it, so I've gotten something productive done, at least.

Now I just have maybe one or two more chapters to go before Destiny's Bond, Volume I is finished. Hopefully I'll chew out a few more words today.

All I ask is that you pray, Lucy. I'll keep you guys updated on what's happening with my mom, as well as my cat--we're still looking for a new forever home for her.

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 4:52 PM

*hugs* Amber! What awful things to go through. I pray that all of the situations get better soon. *hugs again*

x♥x

N

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 4:54 PM

Thank you, Noelle. I really appreciate the support.

I'm feeling the cyber hug.

Philthy
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 4:58 PM

@Noelle Pierce tells me I need to be on this forum to help me stay accountable in my daily writing. This is my first BC forum post! Be gentle .
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 5:15 PM

Hi, Philthy

What's your daily/weekly/every other day/weekend writing goal? What are we to hold you accountable for?

Tell us about yourself! We're interested

Philthy
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:39 PM

Amber,

Ummmmm, to write...good...um...stuff.

Yeah, haven't thought about that yet. It's tough because I have three little ones (5 mos, 2 and 4...all boys) and a wife whose work schedule is somewhat staggered with mine (which means I get them all to myself for a good four hours). My writing time is generally inconsistent these days. What I do know is that I'd like to write more consistently...anything...well, not anything. I want to work on my novel(s)-in-progress. So I guess let me start off slow, maybe 1K words a week. Is that bad? It's more than I'm doing consistently right now.

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:43 PM

Hi again, Philthy

No, that's not a bad goal at all. My writing goal--which I've been seriously slacking at lately for personal reasons--is to write at least 200 words a day. So, that means I should write just a little over 1,000 words a week. Of course, I normally go over that, depending on my mood and how my stress levels are.

Write at your own pace. Don't try to push yourself until you have more confidence--you don't want to crash and burn.

Tomorrow's Friday, so don't forget to post your weekly progress!

Happy Writing!

Amber

Philthy
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 4:20 PM

Thanks, Amber . I'll do my best. Not sure I'll make it this week, but I am keeping the faith.
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 5:06 PM
Great, Philthy! We're here to cheer you on
NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 1:37 PM

I feel better about missing Friday, since no one else remembered, either.  

I haven't written much at all. Unless I can count conference badge mail merge and database entries and conference emails/newsletters. 

...no? Damn. Well, then, I got nothing. May not have anything for the next two weeks. 

Hope y'all did better than I did. Lucy? Amber? *waves* Hi Phil.  

x♥x

N

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 2:53 PM

Aaagh! I forgot to post!!! -_-

Okay, so I wrote about 1,000 words on Friday/Saturday, and I'm feeling good about it. I haven't written that much since a month or two ago.

What about you, Lucy, Philthy? Did you get any writing done?

Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 4:26 PM

hellooooooooooooo . . . writing has been happening . . . so much has been happening . . . so busy . . .

Hi, Phil! Welcome!

Philthy
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2015 2:58 PM

Hi back! 

K I'm here posting on a Friday, Didn't think I got much in, but saw that I BLOW my goal of 500 words per week out of the WATER!!! lol

822 words this week, I think *said sheepishly*

Jump to different Forum...