RSS Feed Print
Friday Accountability Group
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2015 10:47 AM

I've been reading Gretchen Rubin's awesome nonfiction book Better Than Before--it's all about how to successfully practice good habits. Her books about happiness are for anyone, but I think writers especially can learn a lot from her research because, as a writer herself, she is always exploring how to make her writing lifestyle feel good day to day--and how to make it work.

Anyway, one of the things Rubin brings up in Better Than Before is the idea of an "accountability group"--sharing with people when you are trying to create a new habit so that you'll be more likely to uphold it. I thought I'd try something like this here on Book Country. We'd had things like this before that have prompted people to write more per day and do more reviewing on the site. But this thread is for folks to offer up ANY habit that they are trying to undertake. Every Friday, we can share how we are doing with the habit.

I'll start. I decided I wanted to work on my novel every weekday, since my tendency in the past is to only work on it on Sundays. This isn't working because I actually always have a bunch of stuff to do on Sundays, so I never spend as much time writing as I wanted to. Also, I feel like having such long breaks between writing sessions (all week) makes me forget where I was, and it takes me a long time to get back into a groove.

So far I've written every weekday this week! Sometimes only about 200 words, but sometimes upwards of 600. It's making me a lot more excited about my WIP.

What about other folks? Do you have a writing habit you are trying to build--or break? Would sharing it with a group help you to stay accountable to it? Jump in!

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2015 10:11 PM

I need to start writing every day again. This is going to be difficult because my kids are on Spring Break next week, but I'm going to try anyway. I have a new writing "cave" because my desktop has too many distractions. In my library/office, I can work on my laptop and I have no printer, can log off the wireless internet, and listen to my music. Plus, I'm surrounded by my books, so I'm inspired. The chair isn't the most comfortable, but that's just going to get me to stand up every hour and stretch, or maybe do pushups/situps. I'd like to get into good habits in terms of time management. No excuses! I'm all for accountability, so I'm in.

Noelle

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2015 2:53 AM

Well, I'm a couple hours late, but I'll contribute

I'm trying to get into the habit of writing (at least) two-hundred words a day. Destiny's Bond has proved a fun/aggravating challenge, and in the last week I've been lagging on my word count. In the last three days, I've written nothing.

I've got to shake myself off and start writing daily again, otherwise I'll end up soft. So I'm going to do my best to make a habit out of writing (a minimum) of two-hundred words a day. That way I can get the rest of the chapters for Destiny's Bond written and uploaded to the site for feedback

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 8:33 AM

I'm a bit late, and it doesn't look like anyone else has posted their progress, but I'll do it, just to keep me on track

I'm getting into the habit of writing 200 words a day, starting on Monday. I missed Monday's quota, but made up for it by writing over a thousand words on Tuesday

The rest of the week, I wrote between 300 and a thousand words. So I'm doing better than I'd hoped.

Whew. I'm feeling a lot better seeing my progress written down like that. I think I'll use this thread to hold myself accountable, if no one else is going to join.

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 8:18 AM

Finally off Spring Break and Birthday Season, so I'm hoping this week is better. I averaged about 200 words a day in the last week, though it's not helping my word count (I'm rewriting/editing scenes right now). I'm looking forward to writing new scenes, though. The muse has been whispering in my ear.

N

NoellePierce
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:09 PM

I'm a day early, but I'll post now, since tomorrow looks to be full of grading, rather than writing. 

Yesterday, I wrote 1200 words...and ended up 50 words less than I had the day before. I know it's necessary to rewrite, but I'm *really* looking forward to the word count actually increasing for a change. It's got to at some point, right? RIGHT? 

Hope you guys are all doing well!

x♥x

Noelle

Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 10:29 AM

Happy Friday!

I'm doing pretty good with the habit I am trying to stick to. I have written every weekday except for a few days that I was traveling visiting family.

Noelle, that must have been a serious rewrite!! Are you editing as you write?

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 10:47 AM

I am ...it's for Reaching for the Moon, which is getting an overhaul with the plot so besides it being poorly written (early writer + fast draft for Nano=Night.Mare.), I need to change POVs and change the GMCs of the scenes that are already written. I'm told this is good because it's tightening, but it's frustrating because I still have 70k to write/rewrite. 

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 12:00 PM

Hi, Lucy, Noelle

I've been doing okay also--So far I've reached my 200 word a day quota every day this week, mostly extending to 400 and 900 words--I slacked off on Saturday and Sunday, but figured those days could serve as a break, so I don't burn myself out. And I have to make my quota for today, but wanted to log in since you guys have.

It's so great that you've both been making your own quotas, too. Yay!

Amber

Nat Rowlin
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 7:29 PM

I'm late for Friday

I need to get back into daily writing and set some quotas. I am finding it really difficult to write at home at the moment, I just always feel like I have to get something else done, and it drives me crazy! 

I've been getting a lot of my writing done in a cafe, actually, I find that seems to help, I can block out noises with my earphones and just work because I know that's what I'm there for. 

I'll let you know next Friday how I've gone for this week - hopefully I'm in bit more of a routine! 

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:16 PM

Hi, Nat

I'm rooting for you. Get on that schedule!

Amber

Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 12:20 PM

I am rooting for you, too, Nat! Let us know how it goes, and what seems to work for you in terms of upholding the habit.

For me, it's all about feeling like my "decks have been cleared" before I can write. (This is language I am borrowing from the Gretchen Rubin book I was talking about above.) For years, I'd believed in the common wisdom that you should get your writing done before you check your texts, emails, voicemails, etc. However, I have found this totally impossible. I need to see what's in all my inboxes, make a plan for what's urgent, and deal with any super pressing items, before I can write a word. Accepting this about myself makes upholding my writing habit--however small--enormously easier, because it means I am not going against my nature.

Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 5:09 PM

How's everybody doing?

I am staying on top of my weekday writing habit. Some days it's 1000 words, and some days it is more like 200. But every day I've been opening up that doc and adding at least a little something. Working from an outline has proven to be the secret to this--I'd never be able to keep going if I didn't have a "cheat sheet" to get myself going.

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 5:17 PM

I had a couple of minor setback days, where I spent my writing time plotting, rather than actual word count increases. I'm stuck in a research loop and may need to rethink my historical timeline because of another book in the series that's already written and needs editing. I may have to find a loophole to make it work. *grumble* Stoopid parliament elections not happening for seven years. *grumble*
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 5:55 PM

Well, I've made my quota this past week--no less than 200 words. So far I've been writing between 400 to over 1,000, so I'm feeling pretty good

I'm having some trouble with Chapter Thirty, though. In the beginning of the chapter, I 'tell' the beginning of a scene, rather than 'show' it. I can't make up my mind on whether I should change it to 'showing' the beginning of the scene or not.

The reason I told in the beginning is because I didn't think it gave much to the chapter. In a sense, I treated that spot as 'set up'. Is that bad?

Can my fellow Accountability members give me some advice on this? When is telling acceptable?

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 10:56 PM

Great question...and I don't have an answer. 

But a quick Google search yielded these:

http://io9.com/5655794/5-situations-where-its-better-to-tell-than-show-in-your-fiction

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/there-are-no-rules/why-show-dont-tell-is-the-great-lie-of-writing-workshops

http://blog.janicehardy.com/2010/04/re-write-wednesday-dont-tell-me-why.html (this one has a nugget of wisdom about pro-telling at the end, but the rest of it has a ton of great information, too).

Hope these help!

x♥x

Noelle

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 12:23 AM

Thanks for the links, Noelle. They were helpful and are being stashed in my files

Though, in all honesty, I went back to the beginning of the chapter last night and rewrote it to show instead--it just didn't sound right to me as a summery. Now I'm stuck wondering if I've got things happening too fast--it seems the chapters I've been working on these past days are a bit fast, but I'm not certain. I like how they sound, being the one who wrote them, but I'm struggling with it. I know I want to move the plot along at a nice clip without dragging, but I can't tell whether I'm rushing it.

Oh, well. I'm going to focus on writing the rest of the novel, then go through and read it. If those spots still sound clunky, I'll have to tweak them, I suppose. Hopefully reviewers will have something to say once I upload more of the manuscript.

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 2:56 AM

Aah, this is really early for Friday, I know, but I just wanted to share:

I wrote 2,885 words today. I'm feeling quite pleased with myself . . . and utterly exhausted.

Amber

--edited by Amber Wolfe on 4/26/2015, 3:08 AM--

NoellePierce
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:33 PM

I struggle with the same issues -- pacing -- and I'm having to remind myself to just get the damn novel written first, THEN come back and fix it. So far, I've been unsuccessful with the reminders. It's making me wonder if I'm using that as an excuse to procrastinate the writing bit.

Onward and upward...or something like that.

Oh, and congrats on that word count! That's amazing!

x♥x

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 4:39 PM
Thanks, Noelle. I thought so, too
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2015 5:41 PM

Hi, all. How're your writing habits going?

Me, I've been doing okay--I didn't get any writing done on Sunday. Had a nasty stomach ache and knew I wouldn't write down anything worthwhile. But other than that minor hiccup, I've held fast to my habit--to write at least 200 words a day. I still have to make my quota for today, but thought I'd log in before my brother boots me off the emachine--the computer with dial-up internet we share.

How's your own writing coming along? I'm praying it's going well

Amber

Posted: Friday, May 1, 2015 5:50 PM

Oy. Nothing great to report in terms of my writing habit this week. I think I have only written one day!

Amber, you are an inspiration!

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2015 6:17 PM
Thanks, Lucy. You've got me blushing.
NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2015 6:23 PM

I am [insert random emotion here] to report that I have reached 31k (of revised material) as of today. I plan to write more tonight, too. I'm only...15k behind where I'm supposed to be. These characters better start getting chatty or I'm going to take away all their sex scenes.

x♥x

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, May 2, 2015 12:01 AM
Oh, Noelle, don't do that, lol
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 6:47 AM

Well, it's early in the morning, but I'm proud to say that my habit of 200 words a day is still going well. I've not missed a single day this week.

In addition, I'm currently adding on to my short story Scarlet Crimson. I recently took the manuscript down from the site--sure to save all my reviews, of course--thinking I wasn't really going to expand on the story. Whenever I tried, my mind would go blank, discouraging me.

However, a couple hours ago I got a bout of inspiration. Crimson knocked me upside the head and demanded I give her some attention, and so I am.

I really do love Crimson, despite having only recently met her *wink*. She's spunky and has a habit of cursing a lot. Her personality is bad ass, if I do say so. She's got the makings of an interesting heroine, to say the least.

I find it fascinating how my writing style changes so drastically when writing her POV. Compared to Destiny's Bond's dark and literary Voice, Scarlet Crimson is much more lighthearted and fun, even when Crimson's in the thick of danger. I'm having a grand time right now.

I'm hoping to upload my new version of Scarlet Crimson sometime next week, creativity willing.

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 8:43 AM

That sounds wonderful, Amber! I look forward to reading Crimson, too. (I haven't forgotten about Destiny's Bond...I had written up some more critique but hadn't finished and the version got updated again so I need to start over. )

My own word count has fluctuated this week. I've written every day except Wednesday, because I had another priority consume me all day and by the end of the day, all I wanted to do was drink. But I wrote over 500 every other day (and 1400 on Tuesday). I'm finally starting to write new material, so that's helping.

x♥x

Noelle

Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 10:01 AM

So awesome for you both! You ladies are totally on it!

Curious to know about this new material, Noelle . . . and Crimson sounds awesome, Amber! I am doing ok with my weekday writing habit--haven't missed a day so far this week. It really is helping me to stay "with" my characters more. I feel like I have them on the brain a lot, in the same way that I will have various Book Country projects on the brain as I work on them over time. Making a daily habit is such a good strategy for me. I used to feel like I really had to "gear up" to write--clear off my desk, walk the dog, get everything "done" before I write. Or, if I only had 20 minutes before I had to do something, I would feel like that wasn't enough time. Now I feel like 20 minutes is plenty of time, and I often end up with 200-300 words in those few minutes.

--edited by Lucy Silag - Book Country Director on 5/8/2015, 10:01 AM--

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:46 AM

@Noelle: Oh no! Noelle, did the site delete your review when you clicked on the newest version of my manuscript? I'm so sorry! I should have warned you that the site has a nasty habit of doing that--a bug that should really, really be fixed, as it really irks me whenever I forget to save my review in a word document and accidentally click on the newest version of a manuscript. Once I'd written a really long and detailed critique, only to lose it all when I clicked on the new version. Made me so mad I saw red.

I won't upload another new version until you finish writing your review . . . again.

Ugh. I'm feeling lousy now.

As for Scarlet Crimson--which is now a working title, since it no longer applies to the plot--I'm glad you're willing to read once I re-upload the manuscript to the site. So far I seem to be on the right path. Crimson, as I always knew she would, has finally stepped up to say, "Oh, Amber. Guess what? Do I have a story idea for you!"

If things go as me and *cough* Crimson envision, my slip of a short story may well turn into a novel. Or at the very least, a novella. I'm thinking a bit of romance, danger, adventure . . . all the things Crimson's itching for.

The question is how to fit in the romance. I plan to have a string of novels or novellas about Crimson's escapades as a magic-wielding treasure hunter for hire set in my fantasy world Drugara, same world seen in Destiny's Bond. Maybe the romantic interest can become a sidekick of sorts. There's a way I could do it, now that I think of it.

Ooh, the possibilities are really adding up. To Crimson, I tip an imaginary hat. I never doubted she'd come to me with her first true story when she--and I--were ready.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to juggle writing Destiny's Bond while not neglecting Scarlet Crimson. I always saw my Dark Destinies Trilogy as being my first published works--Since I've been sweating and crying over it for the past seven years, I'm not about to put it in the desk and lock it there while Crimson runs the show.

Hmm, rambled a bit, didn't I? That's what happens when I get passionate.

Bye, now.

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 4:45 PM

Amber - no worries. You had warned me, but I forgot until *after* I clicked on the new version. I'm going to RT this week, so the re-review will come after I get back (or tonight after my kids go to bed, since my laptop is now packed up tight. 

Lucy - I've posted some of it, inserting some new scenes here and there. I'll keep posting as I have more polished scenes to post (There's a sex scene that needs serious expansion and work, but I don't want to futz with it yet...too many other scenes that need to be written.

Oh, and did you guys see this?

http://writerswrite.co.za/the-daily-word-counts-of-39-famous-authors-1

Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 4:53 PM

Holy cow, Michael Crichton's daily count was incredible!!!

My lower back, neck, and shoulders shudder at the thought of sitting at my desk for so long.

I want to investigate this bug with the reviews not saving more--and request an enhancement so that part of the site will be more user-friendly. Thanks for posting about it, Amber.

Noelle--kick up your boots at RT for me! And be sure and let us know how it was this year! Pics of you in your cowboy hat are a must. Have a great time!

NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 5:19 PM

Hahahaha...me. Cowboy hat. I'll have to borrow one from someone. I am sooo not cowboy. But I'll have plenty of sexy heels... wink
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 5:44 PM

Good thing cowboy hats go with everything!! LOL!
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:30 AM

@Noelle: Oh, good. I did warn you. Couldn't remember if I did or not . . .

As for that link, Oh, my! Those are some high word counts to strive for. Makes my little no less than 200 words a day goal seem real minor. Good thing I usually go over it. I've found that I average 400 to 1,000 words a day, so yay.

@Lucy: You're welcome. That bug is really nasty. Even when you save your review before clicking on the newest draft, it deletes it. I've made a habit of saving my reviews to a Word Document on my computer, to save myself the grief of having the review lost to me.

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 7:09 PM

Hey guys! I'm taking a break from walking and networking to hide in my room to write. I've been writing every day, but not necessarily at the numbers I'd like. Wednesday was much better than yesterday, but I'm hoping to have a good count today. Catch y'all next week!

x♥x

Noelle

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 9:16 PM

Hi, all

I've done well this week, too--I wrote everyday and made my quota. Destiny's Bond is inching toward the 100,000 word mark, and I'm thinking it might end at 120,000. Through revisions, I'm hoping to shave off on the word count a little . . . maybe.

How're you doing, Lucy?

Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 12:33 PM

Oy, Friday got away from me in terms of posting, but I have basically stayed on top of my goal.

Struggling SO MUCH with dialogue the past few days. What do you ladies do when that happens? Or is your dialogue always fabulous from the start?

NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 1:52 PM

It's always fabulous, of course.  

Dialogue is actually one of my strengths, but there are definitely times when I feel like it's the most basic, cuttable crap. But I write it anyway and fix it in revisions. Sometimes I also write things like "[talk about rumors here]" and move on until the right dialogue comes to me. And if I'm REALLY stuck, I go take a shower. The steamy hot water usually triggers all sorts of creativity. 

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Noelle

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 11:07 PM

Dialogue's a strong suit of mine, too--most everyone says so. I've only had a couple people call my dialogue 'unnatural' or 'stiff'. I don't recall a time when I've had trouble writing out my character's dialogue.

Now, writing the action surrounding the dialogue can get tricky. At times I feel I might have too much action surrounding dialogue. Other times, not enough. Can give me a splitting headache trying to keep a decent balance.

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:30 PM

I need some motivation, y'all. My brain hasn't yet recovered from RT and I can't seem to find the drive to write anything at all this week (or, really, to do anything but sleep all week). And now the kids are home for summer. HALP!!
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 1:56 AM

Hi, Noelle. I'm guilty of not writing, too. Didn't write anything on Wednesday. I got distracted by the *cough* fantasy video game *cough* I play for inspirational purposes when I'm lacking creativity. Yeah . . .

Needing some motivation, hmm? How 'bout this: You have fans waiting impatiently for you to come out with another novel. GET TO WRITING OR FACE THEIR WRATH!!!!!

Ahem.

Amber

Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:32 AM

Haha. Amber, I love your idea for motivation.

On a more serious note, Noelle--what is the goal you are trying to get to? Not just to write every day, but is it a specific chapter or draft you are trying to get to? Is there a milestone you can work toward so that you can just focus on that for the moment? Sometimes thinking about having to do something every day is too overwhelming, but if you think, I just need to finish this chapter, you'll end up writing everyday to do reach that goal.

I skipped a day this week as well, and I feel sad about it! I figure that is progress, though, because in the past it was totally normal for me to skip a day and feel nothing at all! LOL.

NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:04 AM

Amber, haha...if only. That's great motivation, though. 

Lucy, I have to get this book written by July 21 for a fantastic opportunity, but I can't seem to write more than 500 words a day (if that), even with the best intentions and plenty of time. I usually do a lot better with deadlines, but maybe I'm not close enough? Sigh.

x♥x

Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:06 AM

Ooooh, wow. Are you a schedule person? Would planing out a series of mini-milestones work?
NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:23 AM

At this point, I'm willing to try anything.
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:52 PM

Yeah, went for some ill humor there, 'cause I couldn't think what might aid in motivation and I was tired. Although, I suppose fans would motivate me to keep writing even on days when writing seems like peeling off my own skin.

I'm all for Lucy's suggestion. Planning out mini milestones might get you writing more. Me, I'm comfortable with writing at least 200 words a day, though more often than not I go way above that word count--usually to the 1,000 to 1,500 range, on good days. On bad days, chewing out 200 words is almost torture.

Maybe you could put yourself on a schedule of sorts. Like, write (set amount of words), take a small break, maybe go for a walk, then write another (set amount of words), and so forth, throughout the day.

Just a suggestion.

Amber

NoellePierce
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 10:39 AM

Ok. Now I just need to figure out what my goals will be. I have 32k mostly polished, 27k that needs significant revision (but the structure is there), and another roughly 20k new words. And a disciplinarian to keep me from working any more on that first 32k until the rest is done. I'll work something up and post it in here for accountability.

x♥x

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 7:05 PM
Great. We'll be ready to cheer you on
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 9:43 PM

Urk. Forgot to post my progress on Friday--totally slipped my mind.

I shirked a couple days this week--things have been kind of hectic lately with my family, and finding the motivation to write anything worthwhile has been difficult. Not that they don't support me in my creative endeavors. Luckily, I did get in some writing this week, so all is not lost

How are my fellow writers doing? Has the motivation returned, Noelle?

NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 11:10 AM

Hey! 

I wrote a little less than 1k the other night, so I think we might get on a roll. Yesterday was entirely devoted to a family friend's graduation of their youngest, which included an after-party that lasted until late. Much vodka prevented me from being able to write.  

I'm packing for Florida today, but I'm planning on spending at least 2-3 hours most nights in the next two weeks to writing. I plan to write 2k a night after the kids go to bed.

Noelle

Jump to different Forum...