RSS Feed Print
Enter THE THORN OF DENTONHILL Sweepstakes!
Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:26 AM

In celebration of the upcoming release of THE THORN OF DENTONHILL by Book Country member Marshall Ryan Maresca, we are giving one advance copy of the fantasy novel to ten randomly selected contestants! 

To enter the sweepstakes, answer the following question in one sentence in this discussion thread: What would your fantasy world look like?

Alternatively, you may enter by emailing your answer along with your name and mailing address to info@bookcountry.com.

For help on how to get started, check out Marshall's tips on the worldbuilding process in today's blog post.

Sweepstakes ends at 11:59 PM ET on February 2, 2015. THE THORN OF DENTONHILL comes out February 3, 2015. Good luck!

THE THORN OF DENTONHILL Sweepstakes Rules  

Enter for a chance to win: One of ten advance reading copies of The Thorn of Dentonhill by Marshall Ryan Maresca. No purchase necessary. Open to residents of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia, U.S. territories and possessions Canada (excluding Quebec) and the United Kingdom, age 16 or older. Sweepstakes begins January 27, 2015.  Entries must be received no later than February 2, 2015, 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time. Winners will be selected at random within five (5) days of the close of the Sweepstakes Period. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited by law. Go to http://bit.ly/1BQVeJU for official rules. 

--edited by Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant on 1/27/2015, 11:42 AM--

Val
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:00 PM

The thin but curvaceous ruler of Chenestkitt [anagram of Test Kitchen] presided over a kingdom that no one ever left, because all cake, cookies, pizza, and the like contained no calories while minimal amounts of such comestibles as brussel sprouts, All-Bran, and swiss chard fulfilled everyone's daily caloric requirement.
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:13 PM
Drugara, a vibrant realm lush with rich plant life and towering black trees, threatened by a spreading taint that warps the land into a dark, twisted world of despair and shadow.
Allen Curtis Meissner
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:54 PM

My fantasy world would have concepts that reveal a whole other world . Perhaps there might be room for the usual fairy stuff , but on the whole unique concepts .
Carl E. Reed
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:40 PM

The Human Apocalypse: Time's Arrow Reversed: In a world where corpses arise from their graves and grow in vigor and stamina while declining in intellectual power and wisdom until devoured by a womb that ushers them into oblivion (with brief periods of roughly comparable frailty and senility book-ending said lifespans), a horrific plague strikes: middle-aged people begin to age in reverse and excrete food hours after its ingestion, as opposed to sucking nutrition into a certain benighted orifice from water-filled porcelain bowls and undigesting food from their mouths into substances that are then (via a complicated world-spanning distribution network of cars, trucks, trains and aircraft) returned to the respective trees and plants that bloomed divers grains, fruits and vegetables into being in the first place--such vegetation withering into the fertilized earth to break down into discrete chemical substances; while meat, bone, blood and organs recrudesce into animals that die, live and are unborn into so many twisted strands of DNA.

--edited by Carl E. Reed on 1/29/2015, 11:53 AM--

S. T. Collier
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:58 PM

My Fantasy world is set in and around Aszrad, Capitol City of the Empire. It is a dark and grim world with broken heroes and even darker villains, and at the heart of the City is the massive Central Forest watched over by the men and women of the Emperor's Rangers (think the Roman Praetorian Guard).
SMRoffey
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:01 PM

The nine Great Nations, while they were all different in customs and political agenda, had one law in common--from Azaria in the north all the way down to Bore they had banned all magic and tech, after Kronus the Conqueror had created the tracers and spent centuries hunting down and destroying every trace of power in the land.
Voran
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 7:57 AM

A citadel in the mountains, where the buildings are grown from living stones, that gets progressively bigger the farther into the city you go, like an onion that gets bigger with every peel.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 7:49 PM

The gleaming spires of the Iron Gods' great laboratory-cities dominate the fertile lands of the Mencia Peninsula, the only exception to their power the Feykin Reservation, a gloomy forest pulled up around the turbulent slopes of the great volcano Algoris haunted by the remnants of those who contracted with ancient spirits.

As a side note: Thanks for extending this competition to the UK. I can finally enter (and fail) one of these things.

Carl Henderson
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 8:35 PM

Ten thousand years ago the gods had their final war—fighting, dying, and ultimately destroying even the sun itself—now civilization thrives deep beneath the frozen airless surface, in a vast network of caves, carved tunnels, and catacombs warmed by the heat of the world's core.

D J Lutz
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 8:36 PM
Unlike the rest of Old Miami, inside the off-white stucco walls forming the quadrant of apartment buildings known as the Eleusinian Block the casual visitor would find no graffiti, bullet holes, or used needles laying about, thanks to the four beautiful nymphs who guarded the walkways leading to the courtyard, a place of peace, enlightenment, and no desire to escape - if said visitor survived their interrogation.
John
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 1:16 PM

Norn, an arcane alternative to heaven, why listen to the book scribbling priests and be good all your life when you have already paid to go somewhere better!
Jessica Newberne
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 2:11 PM

The residents of Retrotickton watch each day rewind into itself: their luminescent clocks tick backward, passerby walk toe-ball-heel, and the acid rain mercifully shoots up into the clouds from whence it came.
Elysium
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 3:05 PM

The thorns were beautiful, but brittle, once broken, translucent spores erupted with terrifying force to invade the airways of all species and render them helpless with one breath.

Keith Rieger
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 7:37 PM

The only thing that has kept the endless war and death from reaching us, our impenetrable mountain range, has been decimated along with our ancient kingdom at the hands of an unknown conqueror wielding unfathomable magic; leaving us no choice but to venture into the apocalypse in search of a legendary source of creation that none have seen and few even believe exists.
C.M. Rivers
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 8:05 PM

Aquila, the underground world of Plant Spirits, is almost impossible to navigate, constantly weaving itself and coming unwoven, testing the commitment and tenacity of the foxes who wander the paths of its vast root system, searching wildly for the medicine that can save their dying family back on the Surface.
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 1:21 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your submissions. They were fun to read. We will contact the winners shortly.

We have a fun sweepstakes coming up in celebration of Valentine's Day next week. Stay tuned! 

--edited by Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant on 2/4/2015, 1:22 PM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:17 PM

I'm not sure this fills the request, but it's all I have. It's my log line for a contest I've entered:

A politically astute (well, kinda) self-educated to an astonishing degree (a prodigy, for sure) right-thinking (on his good days) intensely aspirational (the ultimate climber) snot of a cat (aren’t they all) cavorts in a picaresque tale set in my alternative sixteenth century Europe.

My worlds are never (I'm thinking back, okay, there was one, long lost) built on physical descriptions. They are all about odd critters and odd interactions. A description of my world would read like a history book for, with a few tweaks, that's my setting. 

--edited by Mimi Speike on 2/4/2015, 3:27 PM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:57 PM

Oops. I just noticed that I missed the deadline.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 2/4/2015, 6:12 PM--

Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 6:01 PM

@Mimi: It's ok! There will be another sweepstakes next week!
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:46 AM

The Give a Character a Valentine Sweepstakes is now open!

Jump to different Forum...