RSS Feed Print
Deleting a Project
Rhyll
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:44 PM

I have made a number of attempts to delete my book Balancebreaker. Nothing happens! What am I doing wrong?
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:22 PM

Hi Rhyll,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble deleting a project. I can help you with this, but I want to be in touch over email so that I can verify a few things before moving forward. Will you please email me at support at bookcountry dot com?

Thank you,

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Tori Schindler Brooks
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 12:14 PM

I couldn't delete a project either. I even logged out and back in and restarted the browser. I was using Chrome. For giggles, I tried it from the browser on my Droid, and was able to finally delete it. Upshot: maybe try a different browser.
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:45 PM

Thanks, Tori--this is really great feedback to get (and feedback I've not heard before--interesting!). It does seem like there is a bug happening with legacy Book Country members and deleting projects, but it's only happening to a few members, so we need to find out more information when it does happen.

Rhyll--haven't heard from you in support yet, though I did see your other post and responded there as well. Be sure and email support@bookcountry.com so we can help you!

Thank you!

Lucy

Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 2:43 PM

Hi everyone!

At long last, I think I have *started* to get to the bottom of this mystery. It's been confounding me for a couple weeks now, but I think I now have a quick fix for it.

If you are unable to delete a project in your dashboard, and you are using Chrome, please try switching to Firefox and doing it from that browser. That should get your book off the site successfully (though of course we get so sad when we see those books go away ).

In the meantime, I'm working on getting this fixed in Chrome. I'll post an update when I know when it's fully resolved.

Thanks to our community for being generous with feedback as we develop!

Lucy

T. L. Michaelson
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 9:37 PM

I also had trouble deleting a project.  I was using Chrome.  When I switched to FireFox (after reading this discussion, thanks), using the Trash Can icon under My Dashboard worked first try (although FireFox had no scroll bars, whereas Chrome always did).

After I deleted my projects (I had posted two), they were gone from my profile page and gone from the list of posted manuscripts (the number of literary fiction postings dropped from 47 back down to 45).

I'm very happy that this worked -- I think that it's important for the author of an unpublished piece to be able to decide that its time in the world has come to an end.  One big advantage of workshopping (instead of just self-publishing right away) is that you can learn about the mistakes you've made.  Being able to disassociate yourself from those mistakes by deleting a work is an important option that I suspect most writers would not wish to give up.

Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 9:32 AM

Hi TL--yes, for some reason our site recognizes this action better in Firefox than in Chrome. Thanks for giving that a try!

Lucy

Jump to different Forum...