RSS Feed Print
NaNoWriMo Book Country Roll Call
Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:49 AM

Hi everyone!

This thread is where Wrimos should post a link to their WIP on Book Country, so that we can collect the books and add them to a carousel of "NaNoWriMo Writers'" books.

This is part of our special promotions that Wrimos get to take advantage of here on Book Country, so please help us to find your book. We will then be able to direct readers to it!

Note: you do not have to have "won" NaNoWriMo to have your book featured. We can also feature books from previous NaNoWriMos, or books you wrote outside of NaNoWriMo.

Even if you've posted on the discussion boards about your Nano project, help me keep all the books organized by posting the link here as well. I will reach out if I have questions, and you should contact me if you have questions, too! Lucy at BookCountry dot com, or connect with me and send me a private message.  Or, of course, post a question below.

Thank you, and congrats on a month well spent!

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

DCLabs
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:29 PM

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for the big time support!  It was fun doing NaNo this year with Book Country.

This year's NaNo for me is not finished, only about half way, but last year's is and is on BC.  Is that OK?  Here is a link:

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=5663

Basil Lee
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:48 PM

Hi, Lucy,

How and where do you upload your book? I tried but it errored out. I could not upload a cover - so I must be in the wrong location or doing something wrong. Can you offer a "how to?" It will be greatly appreciated.

Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2013 10:41 AM

Hi Basil! Lovely to have you here on Book Country. Welcome!

I'm sorry that you had trouble uploading your book. We put together this blog post about how to upload--check it out.  You definitely should not have gotten an error message, so I wonder if you would be willing to try again and let me know how it goes.

If you are still getting the error message, please email me at support at bookcountry dot com and we can figuring out if you are experiencing a bug.

Lucy

Moru
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:28 AM

I have a question, but first some back story, I suppose. I started a series this year and finished the first book at the beginning of NaNo, then went on to write my second book for NaNo. I was wondering if the first book could be considered for this since it was part of NaNo. Just curious I haven't even started the edits to my second book yet; just finished book 1 so I don't feel comfortable yet posting book 2 because it has a lot of plot holes that I need to adjust and definitely edit through before posting it. Anyway, thanks!
Lidy wilks
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:14 PM

hi lucy,

i already uploaded a portion of my NaNo 2013 book but didn't click on the workshop a book (stumbled onto this forum after i uploaded it). i couldn't figure out how to click the workshop button without having to reupload it. is there anyway to workshop an already uploaded book?

Here's the link:

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=5992

Lucy Silag
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:58 PM

Hi Moru! Of course we can feature the first book! Just post a link here when it's ready, and we'll include it. Looking forward to seeing your work!

Lidy--you are doing it right! When you post your work for review (as you have), that's what we mean when we say "workshop."We'll include your book in our featured NaNo books as well!

Thanks to you both, and again, congrats on NaNo 2013!

Lucy

Moru
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:23 PM

Ok, I finally got things to work! Thanks Lucy for your help! 

Here's a link for mine: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=6021

Margaret Melchior
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 5:23 AM

Hey there,

I am also sharing my draft manuscript from this years (or, well, last years, better start getting used to writing 2014...) NaNoWriMo. You can find it here:

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=6132

I look forward to reading some other manuscripts - getting to it right now!

Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 11:33 AM

Margaret! Thanks for posting the link to your book. What a lovely cover! Excited to add this one to the carousel soon.

Wrimos, keep those links coming!

Lucy

LFontaine
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:20 PM

Hello all!

Just checking in with my NaNoWriMo novel for this year - it's (finally) formatted and up for workshopping. 

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=6151

TerminalVerbosity
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:10 AM

Hi Lucy! Here is the link to my 2013 NaNoWriMo, a middle-grade novel titled THE OUTLANDS:

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=6149

I only have the prologue and first chapter posted so far, because I was afraid posting the whole manuscript would scare off potential reviewers. Is everyone else posting their whole manuscript?

Julie

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:45 PM

Thanks to you both for adding your books to the roll call! We will add them to the carousel as soon as we can.

Julie--you should definitely feel free to add as much of your book as you are hoping to get feedback on--that's what we're here for!

Congrats on a Nano well done!

Lucy

Sephira
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 7:27 AM

Also posting a link to my NaNo book: In Plain Sight

I posted the whole thing, never really even thought about trying to break it up.

I mentioned it elsewhere, but I think it would be really nice if we could save our reviews as "drafts" as we read - writing notes and whatnot, then be able to fully post them when we have finished. Would probably make people more interested in reviewing larger manuscripts that have been posted.  

TerminalVerbosity wrote:

I only have the prologue and first chapter posted so far, because I was afraid posting the whole manuscript would scare off potential reviewers. Is everyone else posting their whole manuscript?

Julie

Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 12:25 PM

Thank you for posting this link, Sephira! Just sent you a PM with some more Book Country links.

In the meantime, thanks for your feedback above about posting drafts. I am not quite sure what you mean. Right now you definitely can post multiple drafts of the same book, and they are all accessible from the book's page. Is that what you mean? I can walk you through the steps of it if you like! This blog post also explains the steps of uploading your next draft in detail. Let me know if you have questions; I am happy to help.

Thank you!

Lucy

Sephira
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 12:48 PM

Meant would be nice to be able to save a draft of our reviews that we write for others before submitting them. Currently once you save a review, that's it - you can't edit or add anything else to it. Which is fine usually if someone just posts something chapter by chapter, or for shorter stories, but when someone posts a full manuscript - where it takes (at the very least) several days to read, or longer, it would be nice to be able to review as we go along, then save our progress as a "draft", until we've completed reading the entire thing. Then we could submit the review to the site. 

Otherwise we have to just take notes - either in a separate word document, or by hand, and later refer back to them when writing the actual review. Which would be a lot more time consuming - especially if looking to refer to specific paragraphs, etc... where you'd need to reference a quote or something (where on the site you can just click the "quote" link to add it to the review). 

Hopefully that made more sense.

Lucy Silag wrote:

Thank you for posting this link, Sephira! Just sent you a PM with some more Book Country links.

In the meantime, thanks for your feedback above about posting drafts. I am not quite sure what you mean. Right now you definitely can post multiple drafts of the same book, and they are all accessible from the book's page. Is that what you mean? I can walk you through the steps of it if you like! This blog post also explains the steps of uploading your next draft in detail. Let me know if you have questions; I am happy to help.

Thank you!

Lucy

Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 12:56 PM

Ah, gotcha! Thanks for explaining, I was thinking of something entirely different.

You can actually save your review and keep working on it later. Just click the light gray "save for later" button instead of the "post" button. The only thing is that you should add the book to your list of "followed books" so that you will be able to get back to it easily.

If you want, I can email you a screenshot of the button I am talking about--just let me know!

Lucy

Sephira
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 4:42 PM

Weird... I totally missed it when I did my first review the other day. 

Good to know!! Thanks!!

J.M. Berenswick
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:19 AM

2013 was my first year. I had to type a little gibberish (okay, a lot of it) to get my project to 50k, but I finished it nonetheless.

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=6225

D J Lutz
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:43 PM

Haven't seen many mystery writers posting lately, but I've posted my Nano 2013 novel this week for review. It's a locked room mystery in a cozy style. The theme is actually a culinary sub genre, as well. It is a complete manuscript, though I understand I will be making revisions for a while. I am just happy to have written a story with a beginning, middle, and end! Here's the link: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=6227.

Now to start reading other Nanowrimo entries! You guys rock!!

Lucy Silag
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:42 PM

Go, DJ! Thanks for posting! We will add it to our carousel of Nano books!!

Congrats on this!!

Lucy

JCW Stevenson
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:10 PM

Great idea!

I did NaNo in '09 and had a great time.

With luck I'll be back into it this year.

Miss. Eliza Snake
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:35 PM

Hey, I did Nano in Nov. 2013 and won, accomplishing about 60,000 words of my novel I've posted the first three chapters up for peer review on here, and it would really help to get some feedback if possible. In any case, I loved doing Nano, if only because it made me kick myself into gear and start writing it.
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:42 AM

Hi Miss Eliza!

Thanks for adding your book to our ongoing list of Nano books! We will add HUMANITY AND HUMILITY to our carousel of featured books.

So many congrats on Nano!

Lucy Silag

Fran Cantwell
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:53 PM

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for welcoming me. I guess I'm really not sure what your program is. I just had my first Children's book Blackberry Pickin', published and I was looking for a blog. I'm glad I stumbled onto your website.

Fran Cantwell

Jump to different Forum...