RSS Feed Print
Erotic or Just romance?
KatFec
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 6:17 PM

I'm new to this site and looking to get my first novel out.  It's completely finished and ready to go but I'm unsure of whether to list it as a historical romance or an erotic romance.  The sex scenes are plentiful and graphic, but not gratuitous.  

Where is the line between romance and erotica?

DJS
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:43 AM
Katfec: The main difference between erotic sex and romantic sex is duration of encounter and intensity of graphic descriptions. Movies not X-rated solve the problem by having the fornicators covered nonsensically with a blanket. Millions of readers, primarily women I suspect, love romantic novels sans the sound and fury of raunchy sex. It is well to remember that prolonged descriptions of graphic intercourse lures the reader into an unsavory menage a trois with the lovers As with movies depicting gratuitous sex, books doing likewise turn readers into voyeurs. To prevent readers of romantic fiction from becoming peeping toms, sexual activity is mostly inferred.Moreover, in the hotbed of the brain's imagination the reader can supply as much intimacy as the heart requires.

Jump to different Forum...