RSS Feed Print
Public Beta Users, please introduce yourselves!
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:54 AM

Those of you who have just joined us for the open beta portion of Book Country testing: Please introduce yourselves to the rest of the crew. How did you hear about Book Country? What do you hope to get out of your experience here? What do you write? On behalf of the Book Country team (and all the closed beta users already here!), welcome to Book Country!

MB Mulhall
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:41 PM

Welcome Natasha! Drive right in and join us!
benfjackson
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:46 PM

Hi All -

I'm Ben, and I came on over from PWDaily - I suspect you'll find lots more like me doing so.

Mostly, I'm looking for a kick in my virtual backside from you folks to buckle down and finish what I've started, writing-wise. So, thanks in advance!

Amy Sterling
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:01 PM

I read about the site in Publishers Lunch. The site is so attractive and inviting that I agree with Holly - I am enjoying exploring. I also feel instinctively that this is truly something new.
Stephanie Charette
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:54 PM

Greetings!

My name is Stephanie and I found the site through Colleen Lindsay's twitter feed. Very happy to hear that the Sekrit Projekt is now open to international users and doubly happy to jump in on the Public Beta.

I write primarily fantasy and dabble in horror and SF. I'm in the midst of revisions on my third novel and sending out short stories to market. (I have one short story sale -- woohoo!)

At this point, I'm digging around the site, checking out the site and familiarizing myself with the UI. So far, I like what I see. I'm hoping to connect with other writers and participate in discussions about books, writing, and workshopping. I'm here to learn!

Steph

Paul Guthrie
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:56 PM

Hi, I'm Paul Guthrie. I also discovered the site in the PL feed. I have been exploring Authonomy for a few months, with mixed feelings, so I'm very interested in seeing how this site compares.

As for what I write, it's up on my web site which is in my profile. That one is already self-published via Smashwords and Amazon. I have an unrelated work in progress which isn't progressing very fast, so I hope to have something to post for comments before too long.
JoeTeeVee
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:10 PM

Hi, I'm Joe Velikovsky

I heard about the site on a "hollywood writers" email group I'm in

I'm a novelist, and `genre' film and game screenwriter (sci-fi, horror, comedy) - and also an Editor (novels, screenplays) - it's all on my site & profile page... www.joeteevee.com

i'm also a member of Goodreads, and Writing.com - and am a fan of Penguin books, so I wanted to see how this goes.

I've written books about Genre - so I like the "Genre Map" idea.

Brilliant way to explore similar work

I'm also a Game Designer, so I like what you've done with the Genre Map

I'll explore a bit first, read some things on here - and probably post something (my writing) soon...

Great idea... I hope it really takes off
Doran Wilder
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:12 PM

Hello, I'm Doran. I found this site through follow writers in my social network. This is exactly the type of community concept I've been looking to join. I'm excited to be able to provide feedback to others, in addition to critiques on my own work.
Morgana MacLeod
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:25 PM

G'day, I'm Morgana MacLeod from the Sunshine Coast (that's in Australia). I arrived here from a link in the PW Daily e-news letter, and have wasted no time in forwarding the info to my Writers' Group. I've written dozens of short stories - a few have even been published - and am planning my second novel. I write for adults in mystery/suspense/horror/comedy genres - even my comedy tends to have dark shadows. I've loved Penguin for 30 plus years, so the idea of a Penguin community, for and about writers and writing, is very exciting. I'm looking forward to reading and writing more here - you can never have too many crit partners.
shain
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:30 PM

hello everybody,

My name is Keith i was looking through Google news and found an article about this site, didn't even hesitate to join. Currently i'm working on a sort of modern day fantasy, and need some help with certain aspects of writing. I have allot of good ideas but end up having a hard time getting them down.

i took a look around some of the threads and learned allot in a short time. i look forward to learning from all of you, and hopefully helping others.
FuzzKa
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:03 PM

Hi. Names Anthony. Was lurking Reddit /r/writing and came across a link to this site. I have been discussing with friends for a while the possibility of creating a decent peer editing/critiquing platform. As the ones we already found were a bit lacking or clunky.

It looks fantastic on first impression, and I look forward to seeing how it will develop in the future. Hopefully it becomes a really useful and helpful tool to develop skills.
Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:38 PM
Thanks for joining us, everyone! We're so happy to have you on board and can't wait to get to know you better
Sharon Gerlach
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:24 PM

I saw a mention of this on Twitter, followed the link to an article on Publisher's Weekly, and decided to check it out. I left my last peer-critique site several years ago for reasons with which I won't bore anyone, and have missed the interaction and feedback.

I write contemporary and paranormal romance, and a smattering of urban fantasy. I am an indie-published author and want the input of my writing peers to make sure that I offer my readership a quality product.
Elissa
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:38 PM

Hi, all--

I'm Elisabeth (Elissa works, too). I write fantasy, usually with a bit of romance thrown in for good measure (sometimes too much, I fear). I published one e-book with Cerridwen Press (an offshoot of the erotic romance e-publisher Ellora's Cave), but have reclaimed the rights and might someday rework it for a major print publisher.

I found this site through an article on the NYTimes web site. I'm hoping that the critiques over here won't be the cheerleading and bland "That's great!" you find on other sites, but actual constructive criticism. Don't ask me to read your stuff if you don't want honest feedback. I'm a professional editor (not fiction; academic books), so I'm not afraid to say when something isn't working.

See you around, I hope.
Joe Selby
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:01 PM

My name is Joe. I read about BC from Alana Joli's LJ post regarding the closed beta. Life events (new families, etc) have dwindled my crit group and I've been looking for new people to work with. Intrigued by what you're building here.

I write fantasy mostly with the occasional science fiction. I have not been published but am actively seeking representation.
Debbie
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:35 PM

Hello. Over here via facebook. I write thrillers and fantasy. My short fiction has been published in small press and women's magazines and my CWA Debut Dagger Award long-listed thriller is selling on kindle at present and getting some great reviews.

I've participated in quite a few online writers' communities and I'll be interested to see how this one develops!
Susan Roebuck
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:53 PM

Hello, and thanks to Colleen's post on Twitter this morning, I found my way here. This looks just the place for people like me to get honest critiques. I do hope they will be honest and that people will not start building up "clans of fans" who praise their work to the heavens. I hope it will all stay honest.
I like having to review three works before I can post my work.
I'll certainly be watching to see how the community works. But, please, mods, don't let it turn into a clique-run community where people vote for their friends, or who give five star reviews in the hope of receiving five stars back.
Sue
Eric Magnuson
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:03 PM

Hey y'all - my name is Eric Magnuson. You can just call me "E" if you're comfy with the shorthand. I live in Seattle. I'm looking to eventually generate interest in two stand alone novels I'm starting to shop around. I choose to categorize them both as "Seattle noir". But I'm also here to congregate and hopefully do some good along with grander unwashed public beta community now freely storming the gates.

I saw first mention of BookCountry in PWDaily's morning email. And then saw the piece in the print edition Arts section of the NYTimes that I brought with me to the dentist's office. Sorry about the lisp, by the way. I had to get double-dosed on the novocaine. Blame it on college. But that's another story altogether.

Looking forward to seeing more of what's already being generated herein. Rock on.
TEL
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:19 AM

Hi. I'm Tel. It's nice to meet everyone. I live in Vancouver, although I'm not from here, and I write fiction and poetry. I usually stake my tent in what I guess is called 'literature' or 'contemporary realism' but I also write magical realism and horror and a little science fiction from time to time, because I grew up on it and have a great warm place in my heart for the fantastic and speculative. When I'm not writing I'm a hungry hungry critic, but a gentle one too—I'll make you love your work like you've never hated it before almost as often as the opposite.

I like what I see so far. Good times ahead!
Taylor Anne Prescott
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:33 AM
Hullo!

I'm Taylor, and I came fluttering through here courtesy of a link shared by a writing page I follow on Facebook (perhaps one of the few constructive things I've encountered).

This site is quite something! I really quite like what has been set up, here, and I think that many people could benefit from the feedback.

I've self-published a book of poetry, and am now currently working on my first novel, and do look forward to seeing what people have to say.

Cheers,

Taylor

Annabelle R Charbit
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:33 AM

I'm Annabelle and came here after seeing the article in the Arts section of the New York Times. After joining many MANY struggling writer websites, all a huge WASTE OF TIME, i swore never to join another...ever again.
But then this article peaked my interest, so i thought, ok, this will be the absolute last site i join.

So what do i hope to get out of this site? I hope to get my novel, A Life Lived Ridiculously, discovered and published.

I hope that's not too much to ask...?

Annabelle
www.ocdridiculouslife.com
Kevin Richardson
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:34 AM

Hi, I'm Kevin. I found this site through one of my many RSS feeds (I forgot which). This seems like a good place to get genre-specific criticism. It helps to get critiques from people who are trying to make the same kind of fiction you are. They seem to "get it" easier.

I write horror, science fiction, and whatever else you consider weird fiction. I'm looking forward to participating in the community. The site seems promising.
Angela Homister
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:58 AM

Hi, I'm Angela Homister and I found this site courtesy of Colleen Lindsay's twitter feed. I am excited to see this site since I am always saying I wish there was a writing group in my area and this seems to be the very thing I have hoped for. I look forward to connecting with other people involved in all aspects of the industry and hope to be posting some of my own work as well.
Paula Huffman
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:18 AM

Hello Everyone,
My name is Paula Huffman and I found this site through an article in PW. By day, I'm a counselor at an IBO World School. By evening, I'm a mom and wife. And, while the rest of the world is sleeping.... I'm a writer.

Everything I've written is some sort of fantasy: paranormal, alternate history, contemporary. I'm not published yet, but I've had some interest on my current WIP with suggestions for revision and a chance to re-submit, so that's where my focus is now. I look forward to learning all I can here and posting when my pieces are ready.

The concept of this site seems pretty awesome. I like the idea of working with other people who write in the same genre because, in many cases, there's a specialized set of knowledge inherent to certain types of stories. It's simply easier if your working with a group of people who understand what you're doing and who "get it" without extensive explanation.

I tend to be a lurker, and for the next month or so may have little time to participate (Yes, it's testing season in public schools! Yipee!), but I look forward to being a "good member" after the first week of June.

Thanks so much to Penguin and the Book Country staff for making this site possible!

Best,
Paula
Emily Dawkins
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:47 AM

My name is Emily Dawkins and I found this site from an article in my New York Times RSS feed. I write poetry and literary, mystery, horror, and supernatural fiction, but haven't submitted anything for publication since college.
Bee
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:50 AM

Hi, I'm Bee (or Barbara). Have been hanging with a group of authors on facebook and another writing site for a couple of years. This new site was mentioned and I've popped in to join the fun. I love to read and I love to write.
Sharon Johnston
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:41 AM

Hi, I'm Sharon from Australia. I found out about the site through Twitter. I've been on a similar YA site, Inkpop, and really enjoyed it.

I write speculative fiction, science fiction, utopian/dystopian, paranomal, urban fantasy and occasionally some horror. Surprising fo rme my first published piece will be general fiction. However, a parnaormal story I wrote has just been short listed in a competition.

Love to make connections so feel free to link up.
Lisa Hura
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:08 PM

Hello, all. I'm Lisa in Kent, OH. I found about this site through a mention on Shelf Awareness. I am not a writer, although I keep threatening people with story ideas, but I am an avid reader. I have a website and a weekly column where I talk about books and book-related things, so I am always looking for new books, new ideas and new authors.

And maybe, just maybe, some of those story ideas will make it to paper. Some day.
Stacy Jones
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:39 PM

Hello! I'm Stacy Jones. I learned about this site from a friend and fellow writer who posted a link to it on Facebook. I have been writing fiction since I was 12 and I've written a couple of novels, but am currently unpublished. I hope to change that within the next year as I'm beginning research for a new piece that I plan to begin writing a first draft on this fall. This place looks like it will be a great way for me to connect with other writers and get constructive criticism on my work and maybe even some motivation too. I write primarily fantasy and horror fiction and I'm looking forward to getting to know other writers who work inside my genre.
Randy Attwood
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:51 PM

Hi, I'm Randy Attwood and I learned about this site from the story in the New York Times yesterday. My fiction doesn't fit easily into genres and I think that has hurt me, or I don't know how to put it into a genre. And I write different things. My agents have convinced me to go ahead and do an ebook and print-on-demand version with blog and website promotion for a comic political novel they are representing. "Vote for Me!" I'm working a designer at the moment and hope to have that book ready to sell soon. I'm promoting it on randyattwood.blogspot.com if you are interested.

I'm semi-retired now and can follow my avocation: fiction writing and getting what I've done published. I have several works which I think fit some of these genres so I am here to learn and, when I can, maybe teach a little.

Am I a beta user?
TM Thomas
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:14 PM

Hi all:
I'm todd, writing as "TM". I'm based in Western New York, where by day I'm a lawyer and by night I'm still a lawyer, but one who tries to write fantasy and science fiction.

I've posted a couple pieces up here already but keep getting distracted by reading all the great ideas other people are having. I found the site via Anton Strout, who was probably sick of hearing me whine about my writing career and foisted me off on you all.
LisaMarie
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:11 PM

One fish, two fish, red fish ... oops!

Just wanted to say "hullo" to all of the new public betafish from an older beta. I've enjoyed reading your introductions and hope you stick around for a long time so we can help each other out in this strange world of publishing.

Oh, if anyone is a romance writer, let's connect. I would love to read your book. Well, all of your books!

See ya 'round the tank --

LM
Voran
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:36 PM

Hi everyone!

I heard about Book Country from a New York Time article on it, and I have to say I'm thrilled about the concept. My name is Nick, I hark from San Francisco, and I write fantasy in my nonexistent spare time in between teaching and singing and conducting choirs in the Bay Area. I've recently uploaded my completed novel Raven Son, which is a fantasy based on Russian fairy tales (and lots of other things too I hope that all of you will check it out and give me constructive criticism, even if it's negative! I love the whole process of writing (in fact I can't really do without it for long periods of time) and I hope this forum will provide ample opportunities for me to polish my craft. Thanks and I hope to see you all around!

Nick Kotar (Voran)
CD Covington
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:43 PM

Hi!

I saw a link from Colleen Lindsay's twitter and decided to check it out. It looks pretty cool

I write space opera, and I may make a foray into recent-historical fiction at some point, along the lines of my (published) flash piece "U8: Alexanderplatz (1989)."

Feel free to request connections!

C
Artful Dodger
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:03 PM

Good Afternoon to All,

My name is Linda, and I live on the northernmost coast of the Pacific Northwest, in a wee, little community in WA State. I came to this site through a link I spotted yesterday on the NYT.com website. I'd been researching in the archives, when the title of the site caught my attention, and as its heading promised ongoing writer's support, I made note of it through a bookmark. Took most of the night to really consider whether I wanted to join yet another online writing community, as I've not always had the best experiences. Once, I actually suffered the dreadful experience of plagiarism, and this through a writing community supposedly established by professional editors for the amateur writer. Other sites have transformed into advertising for writers software industry, and still others have become so ponderous, with an endless number of genres, classifications, groups, subgroups, and committees that it's become impossible to know where one belongs in the community. After that kind of experience, I did a review of the entire site. The only thing that really concerns me is the offering of self-publishing and ePublishing in the future, as every writer knows, even the most innocuous seeming deals can get you into some very big trouble. Also, if such publishing is going to be offered directly through the parent company, I worry not only that it could prove a serious conflict of interest, but that this may well be the underlying business reason "Book Country" has been developed.

I mention all this, not to be "blowhardy," but so you will understand, joining has not been an easy decision. What finally persuaded me to sign up is just how easy the site makes it to quit (!), what with that large account deactivation button located at the bottom of the profile page. To be honest, as a point of design, it seems to be situated in a disadvantageous position, really, as it's right about where one normally expects to find the primary "SAVE" button for most main pages, not the account closure link (I scared myself a couple of times by almost clicking it as I began pecking away at my profile. Anyway, I love that they've made it so gosh darn obvious. In my experience, sites that make it easy to quit them know they have to maintain memberships through quality of service.

Sorry for such a ponderous post!

Linda

TRM
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:44 PM

Hello everyone. I'm TRM, a scribbler from North East England.

I spotted a thread about Book Country on my usual haunt, Authonomy.com (the Harper Collins rival to this one, sorry). I've been active there for just over a year and am the convener for the Alliance of Worldbuilders thread, the foremost fantasy and sci-fi hang-out on that site - the fifth "hottest" thread of the site so far.

We're currently clocking over 5000 sensible, constructive comments on all aspects of world building and the Alliance counts about 80 members of which a dozen are very, very active. I hope to stir up some fantasy and sci-fi debate here too.

It'll take me a while to learn a new environment, but do get in touch. I'll upload some scribbles soon and get threading. Come and say hello to the Worldbuilders too.

Cheers!
KimberlyFDR
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:10 PM

Hi everyone! I just missed the closed beta deadline, so I was anxiously awaiting when the site would go into open beta

I originally heard about it through a few agent Twitter feeds and have been looking for a critique arena which I can refine the supernatural fantasy novel I'm currently writing. I'm over half-way done with my first draft and hope to refine and edit over the summer so that it will be ready this Fall or Winter for querying (my goal, but deadlines are very fluid

Looking forward to getting to know my fellow writers here!
Sporadic Reviews
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:58 AM

Kev here. Saw someone retweet a link to BookCountry and joined up. I review books at my blog. I'm hoping to find more interesting things to read and make contacts and friends.
Michael Guarneiri
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:41 AM

Greetings BC community! My name's Michael Guarneiri. I currently study fiction (literature and creative writing) at a University in New York. I happened to read about BookCountry in the New York Times (an article titled: Help for Aspiring Authors). It seemed to jump out at me (hope that doesn't seem too desperate). Must have been fate! I joined in the hopes of developing as a writer and getting my work out there ("out there" being that magical place where a guy like me can get recognized for writing well/eventually get published). I look forward to reading/writing with all of you!
Amy Sterling
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:15 PM

Update! I have given a couple of hours a day to the site to explore and get to know others. I am so impressed by the talented writers here!! I have read several ms. that read "ready to go" or very, very close to me. Even those that are still works in progress show a lot of imagination and creativity. It's been quite a while since I've done anything like this, but I would never have gotten the first round of my writing done and sold if I hadn't had three writing partners (we called ourselves "The Gang of Four"), each of whom also began to sell their work while we were helping each other out. I've written for cash for over 10 years now, which includes both fiction and nonfiction that on my own, I doubt I would have chosen to write. I have been trying to explain this site to my writer friends. Many in my age group or older don't "get" the rapid change that is occurring in the industry. To me, there's so much positive going on here, I can hardly get a grasp on it. I think this is really a great idea and being done in a very next-gen way. I avoided earlier generations of online workshops because of the negative social aspects, which I don't see at all here. Just because a dominating personality who is a competent writer can "win" on such sites and theoretically obtain the desired result of a small book contract, doesn't mean that writer's the one who really has the talent to reach readers. I'm just not seeing that at all here. I think there are so many gifted writers here because it is a positive, creative environment.
Christie Renzetti
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:00 PM

Greetings!

I learned about this from a link that Gloria Oliver (wonderful, inspiring woman, but don't tell her I said so!) posted on her FB page.

I'm currently unemployed and figured that at this point I have absolutely no excuse for not making a healthy dent in a novel.

I'm hoping that having all of you folks to read, discuss things with, critique *cringe* my work, and all that goes along with having a writing support structure will keep me motivated enough to actually finish a writing project.

It gets easier after you get the first one under your belt, right? Right?!?!?!

~c
Rebecca Kovar
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:21 PM

Hi there! I learned about Book Country from Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. I shall have to thank them profusely for the link.

I write urban fantasy, though frequently in non-urban settings, and paranormal romance, which is what you call urban fantasy when there's a love story involved - or so I'm told.

I hope to connect to other writers, share information, learn more, and get some feedback on my novels.

Thanks for creating this wonderful space!
snurf
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:06 PM

Ohhhh! Look at all the colorful & cute new betafish we 'mature' (I refuse to say 'old') betafish have to play with! Come out and play newbie betafish...and if you're into historical romantic suspense swim on over and read & critique the first four chapters of my WIP, The Dainty Duchess.
Rachel Russell
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 2:21 AM

Hi, my name is Rachel.

I heard about Book Country from a person I follow on twitter. She talked about it for several days, and I finally gave in and decided to check into what all the hullabaloo was about. I'm very glad I did.

I mainly write high fantasy, but I'll read just about darned near anything. Pleasure to meet y'all (I'm southern, so you're going to have to excuse my slang).
Kalika
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 2:57 AM

Two days ago I suddenly wondered what happened to Colleen Lindsay, because I used to read her blog and she hadn't updated in forever. I dropped by her blog, saw her twitter feed, ta da. I'm poking around the site now. We'll see if it works out for me.

I'm a fantasy gal with a fondness for characters who are truly different.
serpentscribbles
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 5:11 PM

I also found the site through Smart Bitches, after a lot of random link-hopping. Actually saw the mention on Twitter via PW first, but it didn't register until I saw the genre map, which is pretty cool. Then I started exploring, and liked what I saw, both in terms of site design and underlying concept. The feedback system is probably one of the better ones I've seen.

I read just about everything, but I mostly write SFF (most though not all of my projects are historical fantasy).

As for why I joined, I guess because I like to try new things? I don't have any particular hopes or expectations at the moment. Nice to have a place to exchange thoughts with other people writing adult genre fiction though.
A E Geiser
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 6:02 PM

I found BC through the deadrobotssociety podcast.

I'm here to get a kick in the pants for my own writing and hopefully help someone else better theirs.

I'm a fantasy junkie (all kinds) and I look forward to meeting you.
Syndi Allgood
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 6:15 PM

I found BC via GalleyCat. Like several others, I'm looking for con crit (SFF) and major motivation.
Steph King
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 8:01 PM

Hi I'm Steph King. I found the site via Colleen Lindsay's twitter feed. I'm here to see if I can break stuff in international style since she so kindly extended the invitation.

I write contemporary fantasy, and I was delighted to find and play with the map, since I have fretted about what category my book was for ages and the map confirmed it and put my fears to rest. Thank you!

I'm here to learn in general. I'm new to novel writing as opposed to short stories so I'm soaking up information and guidance wherever I can find it.
Black Fire Blitzer
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 8:54 PM

My name is David. I found out about this site by accident when i looked at an article about it in the new york times. My first thought was "FINALLY! A way to post my work and get critique!" So that very day i signed up. And here i am now, posting my works. I love to write whatever i feel is a good idea. I'm not a professional writer, i haven't gotten my degree in literature yet, so this is my prototype work, i'd love feedback as my books grow, and myself as well. Pleased to meet everyone and i enjoy reading work!

Jump to different Forum...