RSS Feed Print
Closed beta users, please introduce yourselves!
LisaMarie
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:55 PM

Hello from Austin, Texas, aka, the rolling green hills of slack. I'm a freelance writer trying to survive the influx of SXSWers this week, as I live downtown. (Help. Me. Please.)

Anyways. I got a kick out of Adam's "They lied about the cookies" comment wayyyyy back on this thread. I too started as a literary writer and had short stories published in literary journals. This is simply how I learned to write when I was at university. More recently, I've come to realize that I really want to write contemporary romance with a hefty dash of humor. Rom-com on page. No apologies; this is where my strengths lie. I've ghostwritten a published novel before and am now agent hunting for a m.s. written under my own name. Let the hellishness begin.

I freelance and actually make a living at it. However, no one here is allowed to be impressed, as I've stooped to writing ad copy.

I look forward to meeting other women (and possibly some men) who j'adore all things romance.

::Hugs to all::
Sparky
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:38 PM

Good afternoon (at time of typing)
My name is Ian Cummings but call me Sparky (bit of a story in that but for now well its the name I use constantly online and in real life). I hail from Salt Lake City in the curious state of Utah.
I will admit my desire to become a beta user may seem a little petty but I was curious. I kept seeing the sekrit projekt hashtag on twitter connected to writing and I simply had to find out what was going on. And I am not a man to let my curiosity go unfed. Also I have been attempting of late to become more focused on my writing (building a platform, writing and editing with more rigor and so on) and what I could gather this looked to be very helpful in that regard.
Currently I'm just editing/expanding a novel I wrote and working on short stories and then a second novel simmering on the back burner. I write pulp. Some humor, lots of action, interesting characters (I hope) and quickly moving stories. I have no shame in it, I write what I would love to read.
Gina Black
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:24 AM

I see a number of familiar names and faces here! What fun to be a member of this new community.

My name is Gina Black and I've written one historical romance that was pubbed with a small epress. When the rights came back I had a sparkly new cover designed and now it's up on Amazon finding an audience. This delights me since I can finally get to writing the sequel I plotted out several years ago knowing I can publish it myself.

I'm also writing YA and am in the midst of a huge revision that is alternately bringing me great joy and trying to kill me. Today is a kill me day. *snargle*

Looking forward to getting to know everyone better. Oh--it was Colleen's Tweets that got me here.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:10 AM

Welcome, all of you! So great to hear your stories and learn more about you all! If you're so inclined, you can learn more about your Book Country team by clicking the About Us link at the bottom of the page. Our goofy bios are in there!

Cheers!

Colleen
HJakes
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:31 AM

Hello everyone. I'm Hillary Jacques. I write urban fantasy, steampunk and cyberpunk (as well as an as-yet unveiled kind of punk). I currently have a novel on submission and some shorter works under negotiation.

I love a diverse writer/reader-oriented community, and hope to both learn a lot and provide some guidance and advice - meager though it may be - to beginning writers.

It's great to be here!
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:58 AM

Hello everyone. My name is Danielle Bowers and I write fantasy, young adult and some romance. I'm not published yet but I have two finished works I haven't been brave enough to send out yet. I can't seem to stop editing.

In my previous life I went to college for veterinary medicine, married the man I started dating in my teens and had my 2.5 children. Now I live in a large home and play at being a housewife but that was too boring so I started writing. My imaginary friends live much more exiting lives than I do.

I'm always happy to chat and proofread stuff so don't hesitate to add me to twitter or facebook. Cheers!
lesliedow
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:34 PM

Hi All
I'm Leslie Dow. I write hard SF and Romance. Sometimes even in the same story but usually the Romance is contemporary and the SF good old hard technology. My SF is mostly short fiction and I've a couple of publications, one unpublished novel and a YA that I need to get a move on.

The work I posted here is a Contemporary Romance. Looking forward to reading everyone's work!

I've also been poking around the site for a few days before introducing myself. So far, so good. I've not found any unreported issues, but have seen some of the same ones.

Leslie

NatalieCeleste
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:46 PM

Hi, y'all! The name is Natalie. So very pleased to be here and I feel so honored to be surrounded by so much amazing talent!
I usually stick to the romance genres, but I'm attempting to spread my wings a bit. I hope to do so here and I look forward to hearing any and all feedback on my works.
So far, I've posted only one chapter to a book I've already completed. If any of you have the time (which is always the case) I'd love for your thoughts.

And of course I'm working my way across the world of BookCountry, giving as much feedback as I possibly can. I plan on reading every betafish's work at least once.

Best!
Hieronymus Bosch
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:22 PM

Hello everybody.

I'm Hieronymus Bosch--well not quite--and sorry about being coy about who I really am (although that might be deciphered by some people through my profile info).

Just posted my first review (comment? assessment?) and I intend to do a lot more. However, I prefer to do a few in depth rather than a dozen in a shallow manner. I won't hold back if i think certain aspects of the story don't work, but will try to offer ways to fix it (which the author should take with a pinch--or truckload--of salt: I can be quite wrong).

I'm testing the waters: always interested in new developments (main reason I'm here). Now while I read novels, I don't write them: only short fiction (so far). Is it OK to post a short story/novelette/novella here? Not sure.

I read relatively broadly across the genres (and well into literature/mainstream which are, after all, also genres), while my writing at heart is always SF (even if has a fantastic/steampunk/horrific/slipstream veneer). Call me a very tolerant rationalist who's not afraid to acknowledge his emotions...

Finally: am I the only one whose native tongue isn't English among the beta testers? (Don't worry: I've been part of the editorial team of a British magazine for over four years, so I think my English is up to the task.)
Pamvhv
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:50 PM

Hello! I am super excited to be here as I have no writerly friends IRL and live somewhere all new to me and am currently getting to know people in my area and haven't been actively searching for crit groups as time is a limited thing.

I blog at Bookalicous and write professionally for the San Francisco Book Review. I am hoping to learn so much here. Swim little beta fish swim. I am penning a sci-fi novel at this time.
Kevin Haggerty
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 5:32 AM

*psst* >

Hi all. I'm writing a science fiction novel (if you knew me, you would be pretty surprised to hear that). I've spent my life in the arts (theatre/painting), but this is the first serious attempt at a prose novel for me. I'm four chapters and 12,000 words into writing the actual book so far and fully expect to complete the thing, which is unprecedented and very exciting!

(I don't have any pictures of myself on my computer, so my "portrait" is taken from a mural I painted. I swear I look a lot younger in real life!)
Underpope
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 9:22 PM

Hi, I'm Richard. I usually write comic fantasy or comic horror, though sometimes I delve into soft science fiction as well. By day I'm a PHP programmer at a large public University, so I do most of my writing -- and reading, and community-izing -- in the evenings. Code monkey by day, word monkey by night. That's who I am.
Cynthia Justlin
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 10:47 PM

Hey all! I'm Cynthia and when Colleen put out the call for more romantic suspense authors to join in on theseekritprojekt, well, I couldn't resist poking my nose in and discovering what it was all about. So, here I am!

I write action-adventure romantic suspense and also dipping my toe into the world of YA. I uploaded the first couple of chapters to my romantic suspense, The Cell, which is my darkest project yet. I love a good tortured hero, and Oliver certainly fits the bill.

Looking forward to participating!
mimiwells
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 12:44 AM

Hey y'all--

I finally got a break from a VERY busy week at school to put on my writer jammies and join you here. Spying all of Colleen's #thesekritproject hashtags on Twitter pretty much sent my curiosity to DEFCON 1, so I was really happy to get the invite to be a betafish.

As for reading, I tend to hang out in the contemporary romance/women's fiction end of the map, with regular forays into historicals and Regencies, but I also gobble up mysteries, spy thrillers, and YA when I get the urge for something different. As a writer, my voice fits best with contemporary (although my first complete WIP was an historical), so I'm working on several women's fiction projects right now. I need to pick one to upload soon, but I'd best check with Dream Agent first. She might have something to say about that.

Follow me on Twitter if you'd like, or check out my website--info's in the profile. Looking forward to seeing you around!
JK Bradley
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 2:52 PM

Hello folks.

I've been trolling the site for a few days now and am very excited about the level of talent, willingness to share, and the amount of honest interaction. What a fantastic environment!

I posted, finally, a short story. I hope you all enjoy.

I read things that interest me, but mostly Stephen King and Dean Koontz and the like. I like being able to read start to finish in one sitting, and I am a slow reader, because I tend to look away from the text and enjoy the movie reel in my head, so short work also grabs me. I would like to think my writing reflects this. Other things which didn't fit in the short bio...I enjoy spicey food, distilled brown spirits, cooking, working with my hands, running and mountain biking, have a medical degree, started out as a music major in college before being directed into chemsitry (thanks dad), have a black belt in Yoshukai karate, and believe in reincarnation.

Thank you for the invite
Monday
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:16 AM

Hi all,

Introducing myself frequently makes me feel like an idiot. I like long walks on the beach, 80s pop music, m/m romance, my wife, our cats, my roommate and her dog. I teach high school English in an alternative school by day and try my hand at m/m romance at night.

I read anything and everything put in front of me, predominantly romance and fantasy. Adult or YA, I don't care as long as it's well written. I've tried my hand at writing YA, and it came out well, but then I was too anxious to send it anywhere. Now I'm working on a paranormal and a plain old contemporary, both m/m.

Speaking of anxiety, I read the ends of books before I finish them often. Even when I know it's a romance and I know it will end happily ever after. I'm kind of a dork like that.
DawnEmbers
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 3:52 AM

Guess I could finally post about myself on here.

Hi. I'm known as Dawn in the writing/blogging realms, or Dawn Embers to be exact. I write several novels at once, blog at 4 different blogs, and am currently an intern online with a small publishing company. Most of my books are found within Fantasy but I occasionally branch out to F/SF, Mystery, YA, and Contemporary and whatever else I decide to try. The common theme is almost always I have a GLBTQ main character. I'm still trying to get manuscripts ready for submission.

Why am I here? I have a Sekrit Novel and a Sekrit Non-fiction project, so why not join another Sekrit Project. After seeing Colleen's call for betas about the 50th+ time and for genres I work with, I decided to offer my assistance. I've also been involved in a writing community online for the past 5+ years, and it's great to see a site with more reading/publication levels of focus.

I slacked in reading over the years but am trying to read more this year and so far it's working. This community looks like a great idea. I can't wait to explore more.

SappleScoot
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:45 AM

So here I am in Super Sekrit Projekt Land thanks to Colleen's ardent efforts on Twitter and my own stumbling, stammering request to be allowed to be involved. Once in, though, I am excited, amazed, and humbled to be included in such a forward-thinking project, and in such a talented group of writers.

I read and write anything that catches my eye, or crosses my mind, but the main focus of my stories revolves around relationships, whether embroiled in horror, fantasy or contemporary throes of romantic entanglements.

I'm checking out some books here, working on reviews, and will be uploading my own work soon. I'm enjoying what I'm reading so far, for sure.

So anyway, "howdy y'all", and "nice to meet ya!"

SunnySoCal
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:41 PM

I'm new here. I should have posted this a few days ago when I joined but things always pull me away from what I'm doing. I'm a mom. I'm pleased to be a part of this endeavor. It's great. I think once it really gets up and going, it's going to be an incredible resource for writers, so thank you for putting it together.

As for me - I read almost anything. Historical Fiction is a real favorite of mine, particularly those based in Medieval Britain or France. My first manuscript started out as Historical Fiction but was entirely too long and I didn't fancy turning it into a series. There was no place to cleanly break it. Therefore, I took out the author's machete and cut away mercilessly. I must have done something right while I was slashing entire chapters because I now have a literary agent (Laura Strachan) who believes in me and my manuscript, SIMON SAYS.

I've started 3 other manuscripts - all Women's Fiction. This is an exciting process and I've definitely learned to develop a thick skin. Rejection is part of the business - as is learning to take advice. I'm grateful to be guided, and pleased once again to be part of this site. Thanks for inviting me, Colleen.

Gwenyffer
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:18 PM

It has taken me far too long to introduce myself here -- another newbie. I AM super excited to part of this project, despite the delay in saying hi (yup. real life interferes. kids. day job. housework. well, okay, housework never interferes *s* but you get the idea).
Like others, I'd seen Colleen and Danielle talk up this projekt on twitter and was curious. Finally, when Colleen mentioned needing mystery writers (I think that was my breaking point *s*) I figured I'd send my info and see what this was about. And if this place turns into what it looks like it can be, it would be just what I"m looking for. Writers serious about writing, who love to talk about writing and books, and who are willing to read and comment on one another's works in progress -- ideal!
At the moment I'm working on my second-in-a-series (I hope!) humorous mystery, the first (Deadly Farce) of which will be released by Avalon next year. I'm also promoting my January romantic suspense release (Trail of the Tudor Blue) and have just completed edits on a YA light paranormal. Yeah, I'm a bit all over the map. But mystery is my first love so I'm thrilled to be pursuing it.
Umm....I hope that does it for my intro : ) I'm eager to continue exploring the site!
nelizadrew
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 10:15 PM

I'm here because I felt like I missed out on something the first time the Sekrit was mentioned and was super excited to get on board the second go 'round. Then, I spent a week helping my husband shoot a movie and never got a chance to get on here and play.
I like reading dark things and I work with demented kids so it seems normal that I like to write dark, demented things. I have a character who's been living in my head for far too long, and I need to finish getting her out soon because there are others in there who need to breathe.
MollyEvans
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 1:44 AM

Hi all,
I "met" Danielle via a query workshop last year and she was gracious enough to invite me as a beta user. Too cool!
I've been published by Harlequin Mills and Boon in London, writing medical romances. Recently, I've made the leap to paranormal for Nocturne, which I'm super excited about. I was able to submit via my current editor, she made an offer which I was then able to take to an agent that I had previously met.
The agent called me just before Christmas while I was in Wal-Mart. Best deal I ever got there!
This site was a great idea and I'm enjoying learning my way around.
I also have a great interest in writing horror, so if anyone wants to check out my uploaded book, Blue Ridge Blood, I'd love some feedback.
Syd Gill
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:36 AM

Hey Beta-Fish!

I'm Syd. I signed up a little while ago but forgot to introduce myself here! I heard about the Sekrit Project on twitter. It was the "last call" to make a request to get access and so automatically Jeopardy music starts playing in my head and a countdown timer with 30 seconds on the clock magically overlays on my vision and I'm all in a tizzy to email Colleen.

Why was I in such a panic? Well, when someone says secret, writers, publishers, agents, you'll get published, this is your big break, all in the description, I'm in. My mind may have added the last one. It just seemed like a cool opportunity to be part of something big. I have some tech knowledge and I like to write and stuff *g* so why not?

I haven't uploaded anything YET but in the meantime I look forward to reviewing and chatting with everyone!

Yay for BetaFish!
hroulo
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:40 AM

My turn to say 'hello'. I also learned about the project on twitter. Who doesn't love a secret?

I write science-fiction, fantasy, and occasionally horror or romance.

I'm still finding my way around, so I haven't uploaded anything yet. I'm looking forward to having a writing community for critiques and discussion.
hroulo
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:17 PM

I uploaded a complete Urban Fantasy short story two days ago and am eagerly waiting for reviews.

I did a review, and it was quite easy and enjoyable. Once I start getting to know folks, I think I'll feel quite at home here.

Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:21 PM
So happy to have you all here Yay Book Country!
Cassandra Stryffe
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:10 PM

Hello Beta Fish! I heard about this project from a friend who is already here and just joined today. My name is Cassandra Stryffe, please call me Cass! I am here primarily because I love to write. I want to improve my writing, and I love the idea of a forum, by writers for writers.

I am also a hopeless addict who cannot afford to support her book addiction. So yay for free reading material!
amberh
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:21 PM

Yay for being a BetaFish!

I'm Amber, and I pay the bills by coding sites and apps, but my passion is writing and reading. I'm currently reviewing books over at FanaticSpace.com, working on what feels to be my 12-billionth novel, and I found out about Book Country via Colleen's tweets all about the Sekrit Projekt. With a name like that, I couldn't help but ask to be a beta fish, and I hope that I'll learn to be a better writer and reviewer here.

My writing genres fall into Suspense/Thriller, with a dollop of Noir, but when reading and reviewing, I know nothing of genre barriers.
NWolverton
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:40 PM

I'm Nicole, and signed up to be a betafish based on Colleen's tweet...I'm unable to resist secrets. I'm weak.

I earn my living as a freelance writer (nutrition and wellness, primarily), but in fiction I'm sort of all over the place. My first completed novel (for which I'm currently querying) is a paranormal fiction (I hesitate to call it true romance despite the love story that develops). My second novel is commercial fiction with elements of suspense and mystery. The flash fiction and short stories I've submitted have ranged from horror to romance to just plain weird.

Looking forward to participating!
RFLong
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:54 PM

Hello Beta Fish

I'm Ruth, I write as R. F. Long and I'm here because of Colleen!

I write fantasy, paranormal romance and YA among other things. I read just about everything I can lay my hands on. Oh and I work in a library of rare and unusual books, but I've mostly learned to ignore their whispering at this stage.

Looking forward to exploring.

R
LisaMarie
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:57 PM

Gonna have lotsa new blood in the tank!

Welcome to all of the new fishies!

This is really exciting.
nbdyuknow
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:13 PM

Howdy,

I am Bill Breedlove, a writer and editor from Chicago. I seem to work mainly in the Horror genre, but, like most of the folks here, probably more accurately a hybrid of a bit of everything. I just now activated the account, so shortly I will get around to providing some review feedback and then to posting some work for others to review.
CDBennett
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:16 PM

Hello to all the other little fish in the pond!

I'm Chris, though I go by C. D. Bennett in the writing world. I write Gothic Romance and Horror, though I've been known to dabble in screenwriting and poetry as well. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and sharing the journey with you!

Drop by and say hello on Twitter @CD_Bennett
or on Facebook at http://facebook.com/EchoesOfDusk

Linna Lee
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:01 PM

Hello!

I'm Linna Lee. I write YA romance (contemporary, paranormal, espionage/suspense, urban fantasy), but I read every subgenre of Romance and Mystery. I was a member for the beta of Figment (http://figment.com), and I really enjoyed the experience of testing out the site and giving feedback on its workings. So I leapt at the chance to participate in the beta of the Sekret Projekt!

I'm currently a creative writing MFA student and teaching for the first time. On the side, I've been writing YA lit book reviews for The Figment Review. The last book I read was Abandon by Meg Cabot, and I'm currently reading Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn.

At the moment, I'm working on two YA novels, a contemporary and a paranormal, and I hope to share them here. I look forward to reading everyone's work!
Jennifer Dodge
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 7:03 AM

I am a stay-at-home mom of two and devoted Terry Pratchett fan, who recently discovered the awesomeness of writers like China Mieville and Cherie Priest. I am relatively new to writing fiction and am having a hard time finding a genre on this crazy map that fits what I like to write. For the moment I'll say weird fantasy/steampunk. I'm here because I used to live in NYC and had the honor of becoming Colleen Lindsay's friend. I live in CA now and I miss her and her cats. Also it's great to have this connection with other genre writers. I'm in a writers' workshop now locally, but most of the other writers are more mainstream (what my inner snark demon calls "all relationship-y") and they don't really want to hear what the Goblins eat for dinner.
OrlaH
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 7:20 AM

Hi fellow betafish,

I'm Orla and I'm sat in abasement (er, I mean: a basement) in rainy Dublin (the one in Ireland). I've been a bookseller for the past 5 years and, unsurprisingly, I love to read. I read across a multitude of genres and enjoy any story that keeps my interest and is well-told.

I finished my first long-form story in 1997, and binned it immediately (it was not very good, too much of a roman à clef). Then I started to work on a bizarre time-lapse ancient-goddess-helping-modern-mortals tale which, frankly, didn't work. Never finished it, just sighed and moved on. I spent a few years writing short stories, working on form, voice and scenario - purely for my own entertainment/education.

Through all of this I kept thinking about an idea I'd had for a story in my college days, back then I had intended it to be a grim dystopic parable, but as time wore on I thought it might be more fun to write something with more action and less shoe-horned in social commentary. I've spent the past few years trying to come up with a story set in this world that I'm happy with - and I haven't gotten there yet.

Time for me to stop wittering on and post up something for you all to look at.

It's a pleasure to be here!

Orla

Indirectly
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 5:34 PM

I'm here because a friend said, "Ooh look at the shiny!" And then I found some killer stories and got hooked! This place looks like a lot of fun and I'm already seeing a bunch of talented and interesting people.

I write mostly fantasy, urban fantasy, and steampunk. I want to improve my storytelling and writing skills until they are unstoppable. Or until I can afford to buy my first two goats.

I'd point you to a project, but I haven't uploaded one yet. I've only posted two reviews as of this writing, and I'm keenly interested to do a few more before I post anything.

But I'm looking forward to meeting more people and I hope we make this place amazing.

Gretchen/Indi
CareyDG
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 8:03 PM

Hello! I'm Carey and I love genre fiction! I got so much crap for that when I was an MFA student. I write fantasy, Lovecraftian horror, adaptations, and absurdist-lite plays. I love to read all of the above with a dash of space opera/sci-fi, urban fantasy, and creative non-fiction essays. I don't have any projects up yet, but I just finished a manuscript for an adaptation of Hamlet, where he is now a she named Hero and I've kind of fantasy-ified it. I'm working on a modern Lovecraftian horror novella and am world building for both a traditional fantasy narrative and a modern fantasy/supernatural/paranormal narrative.

I'm here because I miss the workshop atmosphere and I like working with fellow genre fiction aficianados. I'm really excited to get to work writing and reviewing.
VenessaG
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 2:04 AM

Hihi

My name's Venessa and I was lured here by my friends from the Seton Hill U Writing Popular Fiction MFA program (well, it was an MA program for most of the time). There are a couple of us kicking around, I've noticed.

Anyway, I write urban fantasy mostly. I term it supernatural suspense. I'm not yet published, though I have a non-fiction article coming out in a book called Many Genres, One Craft, which releases in May, I believe.

I am also a senior editor for Loose Id, LLC, and while I'm happy to talk about LI to anyone who wants to, I plan on spending most of my time here with my writerly hat on. Although, being editorial-minded, I sometimes blather on a LOT about craft and stuff. So.....

I'm really looking forward to getting to know folks here and reading some good genre fiction!

VenessaG
Rowan Greene
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 2:10 PM

Hello, everyone! My name is Rowan Greene and I heard about the site via Colleen on Twitter and AW. I write contemp YA and adult UF and read everything from Tolkien to suspense/mystery to YA. My adult UF novels are heavy on forensic science/police procedure and that's what I prefer to read. I love Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley mysteries and Elena Forbes Mark Tartaglia series. (I'd love something similar with a paranormal twist!)

Why am I here? To network and get to know more writers. I'm a former Marine and a former federal narc agent, and I'm always willing to help verify facts in those areas. I'm well-versed in firearms and related.

I currently work in the CN-CT field with the federal government, and spend my spare time reading, writing, running and sampling wine.
EmilyRD
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 11:25 PM

Hi everyone! I'm Emily and I write romance and erotica in a variety of flavors. I'm so glad I made Friday my once-monthly Twitter sign-in and caught Colleen's last-call Tweet.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and reading your work, excellent and soon-to-be-excellent alike.
LauraKCurtis
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 2:16 AM

Hi all -

I am Laura K Curtis here and on Twitter. I write Contemporary Romance, Romantic Suspense and Cozy Mysteries. I'm a member of MWA, RWA and Sisters in Crime, so it's only natural that I'd want to join another group of genre fiction writers! I love to read and write.

I am hoping to find people here who will be extremely critical of my writing. I need that. Not so much at the level of language and grammar as at the level of overall plots, character development and pacing. On the other hand, I am extremely finicky about grammar and clean copy, so if you're looking for help with anything like that, I'm your woman!

--Laura
tcastleb
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 2:29 AM

I'm Traci Castleberry, and I write queer SF/F, Horror, and paranormal and could probably be considered a workshop junkie by now, since I've been to Clarion ('05), Seton Hill, Taos Toolbox, and the Lambda Literary Retreat for Emerging LGBT Voices.

I joined because I've been languishing a bit in the peer-supported writing department. I mean, I write, my housemate is a pro writer, and I have three more e-books coming out this year and a fabulous editor, but I've been feeling rather cut off from the SF/F community and am hoping to get back in the game and aim toward print again. E-books are great, they're fun to write and I get paid to write just what I want, but I'm kind of considering those to be journeyman pieces on the way to print.

Also, I miss critiquing, which I haven't done since last August at the Lambda Literary retreat. And I could use some beta readers, since a lot of my reviews are, "Great writing, squicky plot." Obviously, my filter for squickiness is broken. :>p Then again, maybe some folks like the squick and I just haven't found the right audience yet.

Anyhoo. Happy to be here, happy to crit and be critted and to be around writers. :>)

TNC

Sinnie Ellis
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 2:50 AM

I'm Autumn Rosen, Sinnie Ellis or Ammari Sky. I write under 3 names since I write in 6 different genres. My real name is Autumn Rosen though.

I have written and self published one novel, and it was just to get my feet wet so far it's barely a puddle. But I am looking forward to reading and critiquing since my old group kind of petered out and I think only one other person is even active now. I am happy to find this happy little group and I hope that I can be of use. I have read quite a few interesting finds.

Please feel free to poke and prod my work. I do not take offense at all, I love a good literary prod when I am not writing up to parr. I love critisism just don't take my gummy bears and we'll get along fine.

Thank you and it's awesome being here!

ANR

GloriaOliver
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 3:36 AM

Yo, fellow beta fishies!

My name is Gloria Oliver and I've been frothing to get in on this sekrit projekt.
Got my fins wet on Thursday, at least long enough to get my profile up, and have been swimming this evening trying to get some critiques in. (Now I just need to figure out how to track that!)

I'm a speculative fiction author with four young adult fantasy or fantasy novels out through small press publishers.

Figured this would be a great place to throw out my dead end short stories (the ones I still love and have hope but can't for the life of me figure out how to fix) and have a completed manuscript I thought I would throw to the wall and see if it sticks.

Ever since I saw Colleen's presentation at the DFW Writer's Conference, I've been pretty pumped by the project. Now all I need is a clone so I have time to do it all!

Gloria
WenSpencer
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 5:47 AM

I'm Wen Spencer.

I write science fiction and fantasy. I have eight books published with Penguin Putnam and Baen, and currently late on deadline for ninth. Just about anything you can do as a writer, I've done it. I had an agent die on me. I fired an agent. I had my editor leave me twice. I have books translated. I had my books pirated in other languages. I've sold options for TV and Movies. I've made insane deadlines, I've been insanely late on deadlines, and I've juggled two publishers are once.

Through all this, I've become increasingly aware that there's no one to turn to for advice when you're a writer. Your parents don't know anything about options. Your spouse can't advise you what to do when someone translates your book into Hindu without asking first. Your best friends don't know what to do when your agent drops dead. This isn't like buying a car or getting a mortgage where just about anyone over the age of 30 can give you advice! Thank god for the internet where you can find people that might have a clue.
kateerobert
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 4:05 PM

Hi!

I'm Katee Robert. I'm thrilled to be a beta fish! Have been cruising the books up and so far there's some really good stuff. Just posted my SF romance so we'll see what happens/

I write a little bit of everything, but I've recently begun focusing on romance, specifically of the paranormal and science fiction flavor (although I do have a YA zombie novel out and about right now).

I love reading anything paranormal, romance, and a good dash of horror as well. Can't wait to see what you guys have up!

changt
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 7:08 PM

Hey!!!

I'm Chang Terhune. I'm a man, father, husband, yogi and writer. My wife and I run a yoga studio in Portland, Maine.

I write BDSM male porn SF with a strong professional sports angle.

Seriously, I write SF with a lot of it falling into the military SF category (perhaps the above wasn't so wrong). I've got a few horror and fantasy pieces waiting in the wings but it's SF that really works my gears!

I was invited here by Colleen herself to be involved in her s3kr8 projkt and I couldn't be more pleased and honored!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone's writing and works!
CaraW
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 1:25 AM

Hi betas and admins!

I'm Cara Wallace. My writing tends to blend genres, but right now I'm focusing on paranormal romance. I'm here because good writing communities are hard to find, and they're important! I'm looking forward to reading and reviewing, and also to getting some good feedback on my own work.
Ixtumea
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 5:01 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm Kim Baccellia. I write mostly YA fantasy but also have a couple more edgy projects set aside. I've also written poetry.

I'm a reviewer at YA Books Central. I've also been a reader for an agency and have read for a small YA imprint.

I love reading too. I'm excited to be a part of this project. I'm looking forward to read and reviewing other submissions that aren't YA. I think this helps me grow as a writer. I'm also looking forward to getting comments on my own work.

Jump to different Forum...