RSS Feed Print
Closed beta users, please introduce yourselves!
KatSheridanKupanoff
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:28 PM

Hi there!

I'm Kathryn. I write sci-fi and fantasy with a philosophical slant. I'm also really into magic realism. I'm happy to be here because I believe that writing communities are really valuable in encouraging each other and offering feedback or assistance. (Kinda cliched, I'm sorry, but it's true. Oh, I also try to avoid cliches in my writing, but I'm a work-in-progress, apparently... ) I'm looking forward to offering my feedback here (on Book Country, and also on other writers' works).
MarieDees
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 9:27 PM

Hi y'all!

I'm here because I couldn't resist a chance to be a beta fish for a sekkrit projekt! Also because I'd love to have a few good critique partners to bounce some story stuff off of, particularly the mysteries. Good genre groups are hard to find and I'm thrilled to be here.
jillwebb
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 11:38 PM

Hi all, I'm Jill. Sorry about not having a head shot photo yet. It seems that all the photos I have of myself involve a horse. I'm here because Colleen kept touting her 'Sekret Projekt' on Twitter and I wanted to see what it was. It looks amazing - one can't have too many writer friends! I write SF (space opera with spies) and both traditionalish fantasy and fantasy-without-magic-or-science-fiction-with-elves.
JamieWyman
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:44 AM

Hi! I'm Jamie (aka BeeGirlBlue on Twitter). I'm here because Colleen kept on talking about this Sekrit Projekt and I am so jazzed to be involved. I like to write UF (I've got zombies, pyrokinetic circus ringmasters, fairy queens and absinthe-minded can-can dancers; not all necessarily in the same stories), horror, and I have a few pieces of steampunk that I'm trying out.

A lot of my work, it seems focuses on life-after-death and whatever that means to a given character. Whatever I'm writing though, there must be humor. It's the main artery of everything I write. Sometimes it's dark comedy, others it's blatant, and (God help us all) sometimes it's puns... but it's always there.

My debut novel is on submission at the moment thanks to my agent Liz Jote. I'm constantly learning about craft and the business and I love it.

Can't wait to get to know you!

Stop by and say hi!

-J.
KarenStivali
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:26 AM

Hi! I'm Karen and I've been curious about The Sekrit Projekt since I first saw it mentioned on Twitter months ago. Glad to finally know what it is! I love secrets, as long as I know all the details.

I am currently querying my novel Meant to Be, which is commercial women's fiction/contemporary romance. I'm also about 2/3 through the first draft of a second novel (same genre).

I'm looking forward to meeting other writers and sharing critiques, publishing woes and successes, and interesting stories. Thrilled to be here!
KD Sarge
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:33 PM

Hello! I'm KD Sarge. I'm here because Colleen Lindsay said the magic words, "Sekrit" and "awesome."

I write space opera, fantasy, and steampunk as well as strange mixtures of other things. I try to write outside the majority, so I have gay main characters and Hindu main characters and Jewish main characters though I am none of those things. (I'm also not a man, for the record, and I have those too.)

Long ago I took to heart the advice that the best way to learn to write is by writing, so I have ten or so novels complete in draft. I'm looking forward to unleashing them (politely!) on a bevy of beta readers.

After getting several positive rejections of my space opera Knight Errant, I decided to self-publish it. So far I'm very pleased with that choice. I'm currently doing a major edit of the next novel in that universe, His Faithful Squire.

Any other self-pubbed around?
Robert C Roman
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:50 PM

Hallo All!

I'm Robert C Roman (Bob to anyone who wants to type less). I'm here because Colleen Lindsay is awesome.

I write Science Fiction, Urban Fantasy, SteamPunk, Romance, Comedy, and Apocalyptic Fantasy. Occasionally all at the same time. Yeah, it's a bit tough for me to pitch something when the genre-designation is longer than most pitches.

At present I've got four stories published (one short, two novellas, and a novel) as eBooks, with the first Print edition coming out right after my fifth (another novel) comes out in eBook edition. I've got around 120 KWords published, with another half-million currently in draft.

I'm here to polish my craft (it can NEVER be good enough! Must get better!), converse with like-minded individuals, get tips on marketing my currently published books, and most of all see if I can figure out what genre I'm actually writing.

I look forward to working with you all!
Mumbleduck
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:04 PM

Hi,

I heard about the Sekrit Project on Twitter, and it really just intrigued me because I'm nosy like that.

I mostly write short stories, thought I've had some poetry published in University zines, and at the Broken City Magazine online. I want to write a full-length novel someday, but I get terribly blocked when I think about it, so I'm sticking to the shorts for now.

I really love reviewing other people's work, and hearing critiques from like-minded folks - I'm excited to get started!
Tara Kollas
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:10 AM

Hi, I'm Tara. I read Colleen's tweets about this and was thrilled to participate. I've been a member of the Online SFF workshop for a while and have gotten so much out of it. I'm very excited to be a part of a community that encompasses so many genres.

I write urban fantasy with a pretty strong crime fiction vibe. I've completed one MS. I queried before I knew what I was doing, but stopped before I did too much damage. After workshopping it, and having the help of two fantastic betas, I started again in early February, and it's gone well so far. I'm currently working on the sequel.
AshelynnSanford
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:43 PM

Hey. I'm Ashelynn, a college student and science fiction writer. I also jump into other genres, like fantasy and contemporary. Sometimes I write literary fiction. It's whatever holds my interest, I guess. (I also write adult and YA.)

Like a lot of the others, I saw Colleen's tweet about being a beta and jumped at the chance. Plus I'm nosy.

Right now I'm working on a YA sci-fi, and it's taking control of my brain, so not sure how much I'll be on here until it's finished. I'm excited to be here, though. This site looks so cool!

And I'll upload a picture as soon as I get on my other computer.
TSouthcotte
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:45 PM

Well, hello there. My name is Tony Southcotte, and I write very absurd things that I hope to scare people with. I'm not sure what brought me to horror, but it seems like my writing has always gravitated to it.

I wanted to join the sekrit project because of about 2,000 hashtags I saw it mentioned in over the last few weeks. There really is something about being one of the first to find out a 'secret' and I am very glad to be a part of this project.

I've been in dire need of some honest critiques, so this couldn't come at a better time. I look forward to chatting and working with all of you
CY Reid
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:52 PM

Hi all.

My name is C.Y. Reid, and I'm a yet-unpublished author with a first novel in the editing stage. I work full-time as a blogger and copywriter for an established marketing agency, and I enjoy doing editing work for the benefit of others.

I found out about this site via Twitter, and like the others was driven mad by curiosity and decided to apply, and hope it wasn't a death cult. Happily, I've discovered it's a writing community, so with relief and enthusiasm, hello.
Tori Schindler
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:18 PM

Hi, Everyone. I'm Tori. Like a cat, I just couldn't ignore Colleen's Sekrit Projekt taunts for long. And the spelling was intriguing.

I write paranormal romance and erotic romance. I'm unpublished as of yet and I look forward to getting useful feedback.
MicheleLee
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:10 PM

Hallo,

I'm Michele. I write SF/F/H/M/Pararom and whatever else catches my fancy. I have a few stories out in the horror & science fiction field. My short story "What Was Once Man" is in Horror Library v 4 which is up for a Stoker award this year. That pretty much sums up my career so far, "Hey that person who I've been friends with online for five years is a Bestselling author now and liked my story, isn't that awesome?" LOL

I read almost everything, am the Zombie Review Editor for MonsterLibrarian.com (which is real fun to put on applications) and am also a bookseller at a Borders that is going out of business. Every since WFC last year I've realized I needed to start pushing my writing career harder. I'd gotten a little discouraged and wasn't trying as hard as I should. So I joined up here and at the Online Writers Workshop in the hopes that I could rekindle a fire under my butt and get excited about my own writing again, instead of just sinking into everyone else's.
stephmcgee
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 12:08 AM

Hi everyone! I'm Stephanie. I write fantasy. It ranges from high/traditional to contemporary. I always thought I'd write YA because that's what I read, but the voice just doesn't click for me when I try to write it. I'm interning for a magazine right now and would love to see if that could segue to work in a lit agency. But until I find that out, I'm more than happy to keep creating my own worlds.

My last project was contemporary and the next that I'm looking to write is a mild fantasy with a lot of adventure. I've written sweet romance before, but if I were to try to publish it, there'd be a lot of work to get there. (Mostly because I don't read much romance. I blush very easily.)

I wanted to beta for this for the sense of community. I've noticed that I've had trouble with feeling welcome in a forum that's already existing. Off the internet I'm really disconnected from the writing community and so I'm looking forward to this.
GinaColeWrites
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 1:07 AM

Hi!

I'm Gina. I wanted to be part of the beta because I think Colleen Lindsay is supercool. And I love the hashtag #betafish.

I am currently revising my first novel, a Paranormal Romance, and am also working on my second novel, a humorous YA Paranormal.

I haven't knocked around the site a lot yet, but I'm looking forward to being a part of this projekt!

Good luck to my fellow betafish!

Gina
slhunsberger
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 4:52 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm Stephanie. I've been writing since I could hold a crayon, or at least trying to. I have a background in journalism and magazine writing and am looking to launching myself into the book side of being published. Whee!

I'm also really looking forward to being part of a writing community. I love reading as much as I love writing and am looking forward to reading and talking about other writers' babies, as well as getting some constructive criticism of my own.

Can't wait to get started!
Steph
Jenn LeBlanc
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 5:22 AM

Hi I'm Jenn and I am a new author and looking forward to some constructive criticism from peers and readers! I think in writing my first novel this is exactly what was lacking and I am really looking forward to using a tool like this to improve my writing and to network with others.

Thank you for setting this up and for including me!

My first novel is available already, it is self published, primarily because it is different from your average romance in that it is illustrated. This is why I am looking for feedback, because I don't really have anything to look at to know how this is done because it hasn't really been done.

There are illustrated novels, there are the enhanced ebooks, there are things that are kinda similar, but nothing I could really base my design and ideas on. SO. There it is. As I refine my first novel and finish my second novel I am excited to be included here, and I'm excited to upload my project here soon! YAY!
RJBlain
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 4:14 PM

Rebecca roll calling in!

I am so excited to be able to participate in this. Have gotten a chance to look over some interesting projects and really look forward to reading (and critiquing) as many projects as I can.

I look forward to working with all of you.
Carla Luna Cullen
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 4:30 PM

Hi, I'm Carla. I learned about this project through Backspace.

I write in a mashup of genres you could call historical fantasy/romance. Because I used to be an archaeologist, I have a huge interest in medieval history and art history, especially in the Middle East. So my books are romances set in lands that resemble 16th century Persia, Ottoman Turkey, Mughal India, etc. I have also been trying my hand at YA fantasy recently.

I'm excited to be involved with this community of writers, to read their books, and to post some of my own work for critiquing.
Chumplet
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 5:19 PM
Hi!

I'm Sandra Cormier - Sandy to my friends (which all of you are, instantly) and I occasionally swivel my head when someone calls out, "Chumplet!"

Colleen said SekritProjekt so many times on Twitter, I just had to find out what it was all about. I'm glad I did. A community like this will hopefully get me off my butt to finish my WIP.

I started out writing Romance, and found I couldn't resist adding plane crashes, snake bites, crazy stalkers and barn fires. Gee, I must like suspense!

After finishing a serious Women's Fiction (I still have hope for ya, Pumpkin!) I went back to writing romantic suspense. I have one MS about a tourist getting mixed up in the Basque separatist movement in Spain, which I have temporarily put aside because current events keep interfering with its progress.

I'm presently working on an mystery novel set in the snazzy, sexy world of polo. I've been fortunate to be introduced to our local polo scene and it's proving to be an exciting and inspiring environment.

I'm looking forward to reading the other work on this site.
JGStewart
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 5:53 PM

Howdy.

I'm Jesse. My first novel (a "hard-boiled sci-fi noir") is out on submission right now, so I am typing this with all my fingers and toes crossed. Ouch.

I found out about the sekrit from Colleen's twitter feed and volunteered because... well, it was a sekrit.

I'm looking forward to reading (and hearing from) a more diverse group of voices than I have currently available.
KarenBBalcom
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 6:12 PM

Hi guys--I'm Karen and I write women's fiction and contemporary romance, depending on who you ask. I found out about the site from Colleen's Twitter feed and decided to do it when my critique partner told me that she was considering it. I'm really looking forward to the new reading material.
JulieOversen
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 8:01 PM

Hi, I'm Julie. I'm writing epic fantasy now, but eventually, I'll dip my toes back into historical fiction. Most of my work has a heavy dose of humor and horses, but it also takes some dark twists.

I enjoy fantasy because I love world-building, but I also do a lot of research to see if something was possible in a certain era. I want my worlds to be magical, but real if that makes any sense.

Right now I'm researching Celtic mythology and Civil War campaigns for my current book.

The nice thing about research is if you find one thing of interest, but it doesn't fit, there's always stories down the road where it might.

I have a rodeo suspense I may return to someday, but it was written once and lost in a computer crash. I rewrote seventeen chapters of it, and hated rewriting what I had already written, so I shelved it.

I also write feature stories for a horse racing magazine.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 8:08 PM

Hey! Alexander here. I've been writing in one manner or another since 92, when I was 12 and realized other people might actually be interested in reading the stories I made up in my head. I prefer sci fi and fantasy, though I read and write literally everything. I'm currently serializing a pair of my books at www.dreamfantastic.com , as well as acting as editor for people that are hosting their own fiction on my website, which is really exciting for me, helping other people improve their own writing. I love the concept of book country, in giving a proper central place for writers to help each other!
JoeOToole
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 9:38 PM

Hi, I'm Joe, and I'm a writer.

(It feels like an AA meeting in here.)

I've been writing since I was in... fourth grade? Fifth grade? There's a printed out book around here that's pretty terrifyingly awful. Right now, I serialize short (well, short-ISH - I'm not good at "short") fiction on the web, and my goal for this year (my 35th, which feels older than it probably actually is) is to put my first MS together. Most of my stuff is thriller-oriented, tending towards the Leverage/Ocean's 11/Mission Impossible theme, and I have a YA themed idea in this vein that I'm going to try to take into the full-length book.

I read voraciously, I tweet incessantly (@BitterOldJoe), and I write all the time.

Great to see you all.

-j-
Mara Kaan
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 10:13 PM

Hello All, I'm Mara. I wrote my first set of stories and books when I was around 10. I've published poems and prose in small literary & niche magazines. My novels (all unfinished) range in genre among YA, contemporary romance, and alternate history.

I'm pleased to be here to get and give feedback and to discuss craft and ideas.
Elaine Golden
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 10:19 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm Elaine Golden and I'm a historical romance author, currently published with Harlequin Mills & Boon.

Though my published stories are Regency set, I also write Western & Victorian era, as well as Steampunk romance. I love to read paranormal & UF, and I think what appeals to me about the Steampunk genre is the fusion between fantasy & history.

Looking forward to seeing you on the boards!

~Elaine
Ann Mayburn
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 11:14 PM

Hi ladies and gents

My name is Ann and its been eleven years and eight months since I smoked marajuana. As West Virginia is one of the last places in the world where it will be legalized, it will probably be another eleven years and eight months before I hide from my then adult children to smoke a joint like I used to hide from my parents when I was a teen.

Life moves in such weird circles.

Oh...this isn't Narc Anon?

In that case, my name is Ann and I'm the queen of the castle to three crazy boys, a semi-housebroken husband, two housebroken dogs, a cat who thinks he's a dog, and some fish who don't really do much.

I write HOT erotic romance of pretty much every genre. Currently I have six books under contract with it looks like either Blessed (Romantic UF) or Daughter of Lust (erotic para romance) being my debut novel. You can see more at www.annmayburn.com if you're so inclined. WARNING the excerpts may or may not have all kinds of smutty sex going on, so please don't read them sending me a nasty email about how I'm going to Hell. TY

So, I look forward to meeting other people here and I hope I can be of some help. I tend to be very critical in critiques, so don't take it personally. I won't be mean and make fun of your goldfish, but I will point out that you spent the first ten pages doing boring backstory.

Marcie
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 11:37 PM

My name is Marcie and I am currently writing Romantic Suspense.

I am excited to be a tester for this site as I've been looking for an effective online critiquing community for some time. Also, being a former software developer myself, I understand the value of the betafish.

I think, in general, the art of providing a helpful critique is lost on many people. So far my experience here has been encouraging. I have not yet received feedback on my own WIP (Mother Knows Best), but the comments I've seen on other WIPs I've read have been filled with insightful, constructive advice. I hope the critiques I've provided also live up to that standard.

Thank you for having me here. I look forward to connecting with you.
zelphiablue
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 11:54 PM

Hi,
My name is Laurie. I have written nonfiction for more years then I want to say, for local and regional publications. I've been an editor at one magazine and co-published a print Magazine with my husband for 4 years which was a blast. I've helped 4 people ghostwrite/edit their memoirs which was really fun.
I've been working on two novels simultaneously (which not surprisingly is a TERRIBLE idea). One is YA Urban Fantasy, and one is straight UF, both are set in Northern California around the old goldmines and involve Faery wars, a supernatural custody battle, Vampire politics and werewolf crime families. I have two complete worlds in my head that inhabit both books and its making me crazy so I need to complete them!
I've been actively looking for a critiquing group that was a good fit, and I had no idea what the Sekrit Projeckt was, I just felt compelled to reach out to Colleen and I am so grateful I did. I really look forward to working with all of you to better our projects.
cameronchapman
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:50 AM

My name is Cameron, and by day I'm a blogger and non-fiction writer. By night, I write a little bit of everything, but lately I've been focusing on steampunk and soft sci-fi, with a little urban fantasy in the works, too. I have a steampunk novella series that I'm self-publishing as ebooks at the moment (book two will be released by the beginning of April; book one came out at the beginning of February). I've been a member of various online writing forums and critique sites for a few years now, but have yet to find one that I'm really crazy about. Maybe Book Country will change that!
sheadakota
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:47 PM

Hi I'm Ann, I write thrillers and I can't wait to get started! I was itching to look around yesterday but real life demanded my attention- I have alll day too day to have fun though-

I have a four thrillers pubbed and one coming out this summer and one on sub right now- I have to post a picture and get my profile up- I feel so behind! Thanks Colleen for the invite-
Bradley
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:10 PM

Alright, lets see if I can do this without screwing up.

First, I'd like to apologize. I'm fairly certain that I am the one responsible for bringing the site down last night. I attempted to view my own profile and the inherent vanity was just too much for the fledgling sekrit projekt. Sorry, it won't happen again.

Phew. I feel so much better with that off of my chest.

Hi, I'm Bradley, and aside from destroying sites still in beta, I compulsively read and write. My genre of choice has always been fantasy, even when I was telling myself I wanted to write literary fiction. I like to write morally ambiguous characters and could never really relate to Sauron for that reason.

Outside of writing, I enjoy indie pop music, whiskey and wine, smoke way too many cigarettes and spend my day as a project coordinator at a boutique digital development agency. I am also the number one result on Google for Profanity and Literature (take that, Bukowski!)

With regards to Book Country, I am rather pleased that the site came along as I'm working through the second round of story edits on my current WIP and am soon to be in dire need to legitimate beta readers.
KaliMcCray
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:17 PM

Hello, my name is Kali. I've been lurking around the site for several days but hadn't gotten around to posting, I was amusing myself in alternate realities again...

I have been writing most of my life but only recently set my mind to finishing a true manuscript. When I began, I had months of plot notes, scene outlines, characters histories, etc... laid out around me. It was going to be a straight up romance, or so I thought. My characters had other ideas and soon I was having arguments with "voices" in my head. Writing became more enjoyable and the words poured out, to my surprise I wrote a paranormal romance. I'm still shocked by it all.

I really look forward to getting involved with BookCountry and connecting with other writers. Thank you Colleen for inviting me to such a wonderful new community!

neciaphoenix
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:04 PM

Hi! I'm Necia a writer of Fantasy Romance and fantasy. I have dabbled a bit in UF and Science fiction but I enjoy Fantasy Romance the most.

I will read almost anything and try to be as open-minded as possible.

I have finished several projects which I am working hard to get submitable so I can start the great Rejection Collection. I see this particular project as a way of networking and learning ways to make my stories better.
meaghankoci
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:06 PM

Hello Everyone!

I joined a few days ago and am traveling for work and haven't had as much internet access as I am used to, so I haven't had time to fully explore the site or upload a picture or my manuscript yet.

I am working on a contemporary romance novel and have written a couple of YA manscripts as well. So far I am in the editing stages on all three. Hopefully this community helps me to stay motivated, finish them up and start the query process!

Glad to be here and looking forward to spending more time around the site!

JRVogt
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:46 PM

Just joined up, thanks to Colleen's help!

Josh Vogt here. I mostly write fantasy and enjoy the reviewing process to both help other writers out and to gain a more objective eye when revising my own work.

I just completed a first draft of an urban fantasy and have a couple other projects in the mix. Trying to stay busy while waiting for some responses to the novel my agent has out on submission. *fingers crossed, braided, and knotted*

I enjoy writing communities and meeting new people both through forum discussions as well as their stories.
BarbSheridan
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:40 PM

Barbara Sheridan from Pittsburgh, here. I, too, was lured by the dangling "sekrit projekt" carrot Colleen dangled.

I'm pubbed in various flavors of romance: historical, paranormal, m/f, m/m and am stepping into my long time favorite category of YA under a different pen name.

I love online communities dealing with books and writing since I'm pretty much a transportation challenged hermit most of the time and miss out on all the cool conferences most of the time.
Quinn
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:48 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Quinn Stephens from Chicago and I couldn't resist Colleen's tantalizing tweets about this. This site looks like a lot of fun; I'm not normally good about staying active in online spaces, even Facebook, but I'm going to put in some effort this time around. Already I'm seeing some really intriguing books on here and the community looks like it has a lot of potential.

I'm an unpublished fantasy novelist, currently shopping around my second book (Hubris, of which I've posted a few chapters). I might post my first book as well, although I haven't looked at it in a while and I don't know how well it's aged. Aside from revisions on Hubris, I'm working on a YA fantasy novel and a steampunk graphic novel, both of which will probably find their way here as I hammer them out. I look forward to meeting everyone!
jeseymour
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:57 PM

Hi

I'm J.E. Seymour from southeast New Hampshire, or New Hampsha, as we say it. I'm here because Colleen said she needed some mystery/crime types. I write noir/crime fiction. My first novel came out last fall from a small press, and I've had a bunch of short stories published in various places. I'm always willing to help out beginners, and am always open to constructive criticism of my writing.

I'm the markets coordinator for the Short Mystery Fiction Society, a member of Mystery Writers of America and Sisters in Crime and the editor of the newsletter for my SincNE chapter. I will be on a panel at the Crime Bake conference this fall, but probably won't get out to any other conferences.

I work at a middle school library, so I am interested in middle grade/YA fiction in addition to noir/crime/hardboiled mystery. I've spent most of my life working with horses, and am always willing to reality check horse stuff for folks.

Looking forward to poking around the site here. Thanks for having me!
Di Francis
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:34 PM

Hi everyone. I'm Diana Pharaoh Francis and I write traditional/epic fantasy and urban fantasy. I'm here at long last, after finishing my book and sending it off to my editor.

Aside from writing, I'm also and English Professor and a wrangler of dogs and children.

This sounded like fun and so I cam to the party. Still learning my way around.
judyblackcloud
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:58 AM

Hello! I'm Andi Judy, avid reader and writer of many genres though my two favorites would have to be horror and fantasy. Looking forward to chatting with you all!
katemcbradylydon
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:52 AM

Hello, all. I'm Kate McBrady Lydon. I've been intrigued by the Sekrit Projekt references on twitter, and was delighted to find that I could become part of it. I'm a part of a few writing groups, which are very helpful and keep me sane (or at least as much sane as I can reasonably do), but I hope to benefit from and contribute to a broader writing community here. I also will enjoy more contact with other writers within my genre, and the exposure also to the different points of view. I read and write a lot, as I imagine most of you do. I write somewhat funny mystery, and have posted the first two chapters of OFF CENTER, which I've listed as general mystery.

I'm really enjoying reading other writers' work here. So exciting! Looking forward to great experiences here!
ShilohWalker
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:25 AM

trying this again... hello... I'm Shiloh Walker and trying to familiar myself with the site. After posting my intro in the wrong place, I definitely need to do a little more familiarizing. O.o I write romance, several different subgenres but mostly paranormal and romantic suspense.

Dan Haring
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:47 AM

Hi everyone. My name is Dan. I've been following Colleen's tweets for a few years now, and was excited to hear about the sekritness.

I do animation stuff to pay the bills (most recent was Tangled), but I've always loved writing and am trying to make a go of it.

I'm working on my second novel and trying to get the first one published. I write mostly urban/contemporary fantasy, but my reading ranges all over the board. I'm looking forward to meeting people around here and learning as much as I can.
HollyMVG
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:36 AM

Hi all, I'm Holly from Washington State and also Twitter. (Sometimes it feels like I live there.) I have a boring day job and an entertaining family.

I have written creatively since the age of 12, but have never declared a novel finished, tried to get an agent, or submitted my work for publication. That's how I can truthfully say I've never been rejected. I came very close to breaking this streak and putting my work out there for professionals to read in 2009, but then suddenly decided to have a baby (our third) instead. (My avoidance skills are strong.)

That baby is now 1 and I am hoping to turn my attention back to my WIP, a Contemporary Fantasy called Within Her Reach. Most of my novel ideas fall under Contemporary or Urban Fantasy, but I also have an unfinished Mystery. (Mystery is my original favorite genre to read.)

I'm happy to be called a betafish (thanks, Colleen!) and to have a chance to meet all of you.
NoellePierce
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:56 PM

Hi everyone! I'll admit it was my curiosity about a Sekrit Projekt and my competitive need to know what the heck it was that prompted me to respond to Colleen's tweets. I teach online part time, so I'm on the computer a LOT. Sometimes I even get off Facebook and Twitter and do my job! I've been a member of writer's/reader's sites before, and loved the advice, support, and general friendships that can be gained. Because of sites like this, I can travel to most countries in the world and have a friend to see and place to stay. Technology is grand (mostly...been having internet issues the last few days, so I've been cursing the technogods a lot lately).

I've been reading since I was 4, but only writing for the last two years or so. My genre is romance, with most of my stories set in Regency England, and I'm currently working on a paranormal that I hope to finish by October. In the meantime, I've uploaded the first chapter of a Regency novella, inspired by the Andromeda/Perseus myths/constellations.
It's nice to meet all of you and I look forward to talking with you more!
MB Mulhall
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:15 PM

Hello all! I'm MaryBeth, or MB if you prefer. I'm excited to be a part of this project! There are a lot of writing sites out there, but I always felt like I got a little lost in the crowd by the time I found them. Being on the ground floor of such a new endeavor is a great experience!

I started writing at a young age but took several years off due to a bruised ego at age 12. I really got back into writing about four years ago and there's no stopping me now! I write in the YA category, but within there, I've written: contemporary, soft sci-fi, fantasy and paranormal.

I'm an elementary school teach without a teaching job at the moment (I work as a nanny instead) and when I'm not writing, I'm snapping pictures. I find photography to be a great inspiration for my writing. It makes me stop down (ha ha a photography joke) and look at things differently, which leads to better descriptions in writing.

I'll be posting soon and I'm excited for all the feedback. Don't be afraid to be brutally honest! I've got to prep myself for all those possible rejections somehow.
Beth Yarnall
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:35 PM

Whew! Was so glad to read Shiloh's post... was thinking it was just me! Which wouldn't be a surprise.

I'm glad to be here. I too joined out of curiosity and the bone deep fear of being left out. Hey, I write mysteries... if it's secret I'm all over it.

I love friends the more the better so follow/friend me/whatever. I'll follow/friend you/whatever right back.

In a former life I owned a salon and was a hair stylist & make up artist. I am just finishing my 3rd book a mystery set in the world of hair (what else?) called Hair Sprayed Hard and Put Away Forever. I write with humor and love quirky characters.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone. Thanks for having me!

Jump to different Forum...