RSS Feed Print
REVIEWS: Fearlessly Forthright or Nicely-Nicely?
Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:07 PM

Thanks, Carl. You're right again. The truth is, I'm not really lashing out. This may be the best awful review anyone ever got. I'm actually quite pleased with it (or was, after I thought about it).

My grumbling is a very misguided PR strategy.

Now I'm shutting up. 

Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:07 PM

Hi!!

@Mimi I went and read the review on your WIP & I also read the story/posted a review just now - the review mentioned above does have some positive feed back. Like Carl said, you just gotta step back and give yourself a moment then approach it again to find it.

Let me know if you have a hard time finding the positive in my review - I'm more than happy to help! No one here wants to discourage the people we review and low stars aren't a bad thing - they're almost a good thing....

Low stars mean that the person who posted the review (especially if they leave a comment explaining their star choice) really believes you have potential... if they came in, posted a review that said "fun to read" with a 5 star rating... well, let me tell you. That's not helpful at all!  

@Carl To add a prelude to your baby bashing metaphor... it's like asking someone if there's something wrong with your baby, then they say "(insert metaphor here)"
Sinnie Ellis
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:42 AM

Thank you for your help. And I like literary spankings, I just didn't want to come out and say it, leaving myself sounding desperate. Anyway, I appreciate the time you took.

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:48 AM

And I like literary spankings, I just didn't want to come out and say it, leaving myself sounding desperate.

Um...

Yeah. Not one word from me. I swear. (So, by literary, do you mean with books? Trade paperbacks or hardcover?)

But yeah, I like my reviews hard and rough myself, as long as its the work. There's no need to be insulting about it. (One of the reviews of my book that still sticks in my craw quoted a couple florid lines of description, and then said, "Yeah, you think you're a writer, we get it, you can stop cramming it down our throat!"

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:16 PM

Ah, bad reviews. Those are fun. It feels like someone tied a rope to my soul, attached it to a car, and dragged it across the pavement at 60 miles per hour. Its hard, but I was lucky to have people who were honest about my work growing up, so I got used to the "Its has potential, but..." sentence. I admit, harsh critiques can still hurt even when you think you've gotten used to it. I guess it helps that I also have no delusions that my work is the best thing since sliced bread. (Anything I produce, I believe, is shit-smeared garbage. Heh. Guess it keeps me humble.)

The best reviews that make me want to tear my hair in frustration are where the person obviously wasn't paying attention, just skimming. Now, you know you're writing is successful when you only get one of these out of 5 or 10 or so, but if they're all like that, you messed up somewhere. I have a tendency to get at least one of these every work, so I'm good at spotting them. I had one so confusing that I had no words for this person but, "What were you reading? Are you sure it was (insert title). I don't remember that in the plot."

Mimi, I'll review your work soon and let you know. Just hope that the reaction to your book isn't as polarizing as mine. I only have a few minor things people agree on, and then the big stuff is a crap shoot like my characterization of my MC, Melody. I've noticed a tendency for women not to like her, while men don't care.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:09 PM

Thank you LeeAnna,

I'm coming to grips with the necessity of taking a good long look at my monster, with newly opened eyes, and doing what needs to be done. Any comments that help me see where I've messed up are very welcome.

Alexander, your line: "Yeah, you think you're a writer..." That is priceless! I will keep that thought front and center as I write.

Isn't this is a marvelous site?

Bob Cravener
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 4:55 AM

I myself like reviews good or bad, if I am to grow as a writer, then I need to know what people think about my work. As a writer I believe that we need to have a tuff skin because not all will like the work that we do. Also some people will be very harsh on thier reviews just because. When i review another aythers work, I try to look for what will help them in the future. But not everyone can look at it that way. nip-picking is not the way to review and authers work. Constructive critcism is truly the way to go I think.
Harper Wade
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:58 PM

I think there's good stuff in most kinds of review, however I've noticed that around here, complimentary reviews actually get down-voted with surprising frequency. I have left a few reviews where I quite simply felt like the writer was far ahead of me skill-wise, so if nothing stood out as far as lazy continuity or clunky prose, I didn't nitpick--I focused on good stuff that I might like to see more of, but several of those reviews were down-rated shortly after. To me, you don't have to sugarcoat in order to compliment someone--sometimes saying "nice work" can mean just that: "you're doing great on this here, stay on this track."

On a personal note, I need to be told what I'm doing right almost as often as I'm told what I'm doing wrong, not to have my ego stroked, but because I'm writing without any formal training and flying pretty blind--I'm sure that's the case for a lot of us here. I don't think many writers just gravitate to the idea that if something isn't so awful that it becomes newsworthy, that automatically makes it good: in that case, it helps to have someone who can come along and gives the thumbs up on areas that maybe the writer wasn't sure about.

All in all: Sugar-coat, no thanks. Honest review, yes please. Genuine compliment, also yes please.

Robert C Roman
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:06 PM

Harper makes a good point - honesty is not all about negativity.

My favorite beta reader is a guy who, when he has time for a line-by-line, will call out each and every questionable item in the MS, but he also calls out any line that makes him squee with delight. That kind of feedback lets me home in on what is good much faster.

It also keeps me from deleting the really good stuff in a vain attempt to rescue the utter crap.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 1:37 PM

Yes, we need to know what we're doing right. As much as I love getting reviews from this one intelligent critiquer, but I had to ask him what I was doing right after he reviewed my work. He said that if he didn't mention it, I was doing that right. As helpful as he was, I had a minor panic attack. I didn't want to touch anything because I was afraid to delete the good stuff, loose it forever. So yes, say what people are doing right when giving a review, even if what you say is largely negative.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 2:13 PM

That is so very important LeeAnna, Robert and Harper! I'm glad you underlined that point. In my reviews I always call out and applaud the good stuff—and trust me, it's there in just about everyone's writing. In differing degrees and differences of kind, to be sure, but it's there. Anyone who's been writing ten years or more has managed to pick up at least a couple of tricks and core competencies.

A side note to those reviewers who don't do this: What are you thinking? What do you imagine your job is? The writing world doesn't need another sour, gimlet-eyed critic who imagines their self-appointed role is to pounce with a mad fluttering of wings and raucous, outraged caw-caw-caaws! all over another flawed manuscript. Or rather, once you've done that—and thoroughly energized and enjoyed your razor-beaked, beady-eyed self—try and find it in your heart to skritch-scratch out in the sand a couple of quick, deft words of praise for what the writer has done well.

PS. Most reviewers on BC are exceptionally large-hearted and good about doing this. In fact, every review I've ever gotten from a critiquer here who criticized perceived flaws and failings in one of my manuscripts managed to point out at least a couple of things that worked for them. (It helps me hear you. Thank you!) On the other hand, I've winced when I've read a couple of posted BC reviews that were filled with nothing but hectoring tones and chiding mini-lecture. Eeeesh, people! Did someone start with you that way?      

Philip Tucker
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:43 PM

I read all these great posts, I really enjoy them, but they do make me feel like I don't belong here among all you Real Writers.

I write because I like to write.  I don't feel compelled.  I don't get snot-nosed tremors if I don't write.  I just enjoy the hell out of it.

I try to write stuff I want to read.  I write, basically, to entertain myself.  I'd like to think I could amuse a reader, despite a depressing absence of evidence for that presumption, but I'm undeterred.  I scribble on anyway, giggling all alone.  I work for hours to find the sentence that suits me because that's the way I roll.  I'm queer for revision.  I just like making stuff up.

I don't worry about reviews.  I can tell help from hostility.  Mean people suck, but even mean people can make good points.  Besides, there isn't much that I don't say to myself.  My characterization makes Edgar Rice Burroughs look like Dostoyevsky.  My plots are shambling parodies without motivation or coherence.  And so on.

Maybe all that means I'll never be a great writer, but I don't aspire to greatness.  If I could write as well as Rex Stout or Jim Butcher or Stieg Larsson or Robert B. Parker even once, not to mention for a whole story, I'd be tickled rosy red forever.

And if the reviews are bad, I'll just go away, but I'll still like writing.  I don't care if I'm doing it wrong.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 12:14 AM

Heh-heh! Very good, Tucker. Very, very good.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:10 AM

Heh, heh. It's okay, Mr. Tucker. I admit writing is my life blood, and even my husband must fight for my time with it. We can't all be that way. It's refreshing to someone on here who just likes to do it without taking it too seriously. We all have to find our fun somewhere.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:23 PM

Phillip,

It may be impossible to come up with words that would make me more eager to investigate a piece: My plots are shambling parodies without motivation or coherence. Marvelous! That line caught my eye immediately.

You write to entertain yourself. I do the same. That's why I am comfortable going to extremes. Off-the-wall is so much fun. It's a liberating attitude, isn't it?

I do need to write, and here's why: I have no dependable outline. I honestly don't know what's going to happen. I have theories, most of which get discarded. I need to discover for myself what delightful disaster Sly is going to stumble into next, by composing it, and dealing with the inevitable problems that arise, which gnaw at me day and night until I solve them.

I'll read and review your book shortly. I love work that breaks the rules.

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:03 PM

Mimi - Your initial post pulled me in, and I must apologize here (haha) for not having read all of the responses in this really long thread. Back to reviewing... I don't feel like I'm doing anyone a favor by pussy-footing around the issues. If it doesn't work in my opinion (and I remind people that's what my review is, after all), I'm going to tell you in what I hope is a constructive way. As Alexander said, that means pointing it out, explaining why it doesn't work, and suggesting an alternative. I'm sure most, or maybe some, simply shrug off my suggestions and say, "What does she know?!" But I keep doing it because maybe it will make a difference for one writer here. And others have been nice enough to do the same for me. Although many are far less verbose than I, so I don't get individual examples of errors  in my work, but I take it all and consider it. I expect others to do the same when I leave them a review. I haven't given a one-star yet because, frankly, it scares me. Yes, I guess in that way I wouldn't be much of a real editor, since part of me worries authors will assume the one-star is equivalent to telling them they suck. Damn that one star! 
But here, I don't want it to get around that I really am a horrific stickler for grammar, punctuation, spelling and the rest, not to mention it has to make sense. Oops. Oh well. My secret is safe, right? 
Yoshay Lama
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 7:36 AM

Writing is not for the weak-hearted ; ) If authors can face more than 60 print rejections before they meet success, then i think we all should brace ourselves for "come what may". Of course positive criticisms are more than welcome, and i think at the end of the day it is the one thing we need. But sometimes people are not as sensitive and they don't know how to beat around the bush.

Robert C Roman
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 11:42 AM

@Yashay - I think one simple lesson the less sensitive folks might learn is to simply point out what the *best* feature of the thing they reviewed was.  Even in a heaping pile of awful, one thing is going to be *better* than the rest. Maybe the dialogue is just over formal. Maybe the action is at least coherent. Maybe the story itself is at least original.

Whatever the 'least bad' thing is, point that out. Give the person something to strive toward, some idea what you think their strength is.
G J Marshall
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 4:31 PM

I'm with Carl (page 5) and Laura (above). You do need people to be honest and to give an honest critique on your work. It helps to improve it and gives you a taste of the audience out there. But that goes for the positive stuff as well as the negative. An author also needs to know what is going well and working or what the reader connects to in particular as well as what perhaps doesn't work. I remember the first time I got someone to review my work (a published author as it happens). She was very blunt but fair. It took a couple of days before I could get myself to forgive her for dissing my 'baby'. But then I embraced her criticism with enthusiasm and got on with improving it - and she was right! Then I noticed the positive things she'd said. But I didn't use all her opinions because in the end, its my story not hers and you have to go with the way you want your novel to go.

But I do think it is unforgivable to be sarcastic or just mean. Offer a fair critique not abuse, its too easy and only serves to shore up someone's low self esteem by using such abusive tools. When you get published, by then, you will understand you're fair game, but at this stage, surely this is meant to a supportive stage.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 1:32 PM

It is now story time with your favorite BC thread stalker, LeeAnna Holt! This week is a tale of a critique she gave to a poorly written piece.

I have a friend who likes to fancy herself a writer. I say that without sarcasm. She was a dear friend of mine in high school even after she moved away. On another site we used to post our work. This happened about two years ago, when we both had attended college and matured (that was sarcasm).

I promised to review a novel she was writing. So, when I had time, I sat down with my notebook and read one of the chapters. I wanted to throw up. It was poorly written, had a terrible plot, the science made no sense, it was preachy, the characters were like cardboard cut outs of cliches, and her dialogue was about as realistic as most womens' expectations of men. It was really, really awful, and I say this with as much objective honesty as I can muster. 
The problem I had was how do I put all of what I listed above nicely.

So, I tried because I had a promise to uphold. I listed the problem, and then gave examples on how to fix it. I tried to keep within the boundaries of what she was trying to create instead of telling her she needed to change everything. I gave her suggestions and grammatical tips. I even tried to point out what she was doing that was right, which was exceptionally hard. I tried to be nice while being constructive so as not to hurt her feelings. I wanted her to succeed in her endeavor, and tried to convey that. I even offered to help her out with editing if she needed it because I'm her friend.

Now, before I tell you her reaction, you have to know a bit about this friend. She is prone to being, well, extreme. She's a wican and a vegan. Facebook was made for people like her who have no problem voicing their opinion no matter how illogical it may be. Me, jack christian and meat eater, and her have gotten into it before. She even likes to powder her face white due to her fascination with vampires. (I have not told her my opinion on this being a person who cannot go out in the sun, but that's another story for another time.) For all the problems I have with her, it pains me when she picks a fight with me.

I post up my carefully thought out critique under her work. A couple of hours later I go back. My friend had practically exploded. She wrote this nasty response about how I was attacking her because I was jealous and didn't get what she was saying. I had written this critique with her feelings in mind over hours. Not once did she thank me for being the only person who had said something so far that wasn't related to her. I was pissed. I could have told her the truth, that it sucked and was barely worth salvaging. It was really that bad.

But I didn't. I tried to reason with her. I tried to be nice. I controlled every vindictive nerve in my body. Her next response, she attacked my work. She went after it with claws and teeth. It was nasty and mean spirited. I wanted to cry.

I have this other friend who tried to remain neutral. (To this day she refuses to straight out voice her opinion on "the incident" because she's even closer to wican friend than I am. They're BFFs.) Well, my neutral friend tried to defuse the situation, but the end result was wican friend deleting all the comments off of her story and not talking to me for about a year, until what shall be known as the Avatar debate. (We started talking again recently until I supported a decision to keep scented lotions and sprays out of schools because kids were having breathing problems.)

Anyway, the point is, don't be my friend. Even if the person was a complete troll, thank them nicely and move on. To this day it is still the worse reviewing experience I have ever endured. I will not repeat the things that she said. I'm also sad to report that due to her Facebook postings I have deduced that she still responds badly to criticism.

Eh, whatever. I just don't read her stuff anymore. I'm on BC now!

Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 3:24 PM

Re: "She is prone to being, well, extreme. She's a wican and a vegan." [Maybe she's just mad at you because you misspelled and lower-capped her religion, heh! --Wiccan] 

Sorry, LeeAnna, couldn't resist! But I get it; I truly do. You should have just handed the manuscript back to her and gushed, "Wow! I mean, what can I say? It's all just, so . . . well, you! I mean you've infused the text with the essence of you; you know? We're using the same English words, you and I, but somehow you've made these words your own. And the plotting, the pacing, the thematic content; your use of descriptive words and metaphor! What's the word or phrase I'm looking for here? Paradigm-shattering. No, I really mean it! You've broken all the rules here. I don't think I could ever be that brave. I can honestly say that I will never forget this story for as long as I live. Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Joyce Carol Oates--all may fade over time but this, this . . . !"  

You weren't supposed to critique. You were supposed to re-affirm, support and encourage. (Let me guess: She gave the manuscript to you and said, "Tell me what you think." Never, ever do that--unless you know the writer is at least semi-professional or currently enrolled in a writer's group, workshop or class.)  

The only bone I have to pick with you here is your bitchy lead-off phrase: "I have a friend who likes to fancy herself a writer." She is a writer, LeeAnna, by the mere fact of her having written. (And continuing to write--which is more than many self-described "writers" do. Give her credit for that.) Whether or not she's a good writer--or improves over time--well, that's another matter entirely, eh? The jury's out on all of us, as far as that goes . . .
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 4:08 PM

Carl - You bring up a good point that brings us back around to the original conundrum: if any of us here are looking for exactly that (reaffirmation and congratulations, even if it's unearned in our opinion), what good are any of the reviews unless they're full of the crap the author wants to hear? Doesn't coddling spoil the child?
At least here at BC the understanding is that we are all peers and fellow writers, looking to learn and improve, so common sense dictates that a well-meaning, constructive criticism will be at least appreciated on some level. But is it really? When I see someone pull a WIP without explanation when I took the time to review it, or respond to reviews with a defeatist or less-than-kind sentiment, it's disheartening to say the least. I'm a damn sensitive individual, I will admit, but even getting a poor review on one of my WIPs cannot cut me to the core. I can't let it shatter me. That person is not attacking me or my work; they're simply trying to help. 
Someone else in this or another thread said that we all need to have practice for the "real world" of publishing, and I agree. And I really do think we all stand to learn something valuable from everyone who takes the time to read our work. We need to dust ourselves off, say thank you even if it hurts our precious pride, and use their eyes to look at our manuscripts. We will all come out on the other end being better writers for it. 
Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 4:36 PM

Re: Laura Dwyer: Hear, hear! 

We should all leave the WIP up even as we work on re-writes and respond to criticism; there's much to be learned by all parties involved in the process. (I've gone back months later and told a critic: "Hey, remember when you said X about Y? You were right and here's how I fixed that:_____. Thanks!") I don't understand people who pull their story after one or two low-star reviews; that only means further revision should lead to higher-starred reviews and increasing satisfaction and confidence in their own abilities. I think these people are cheating themselves out of a very real sense of accomplishment and demonstrated, recorded growth in authorial craftsmanship. 
Kevin Haggerty
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 6:11 PM

I find it disheartening to see several books on BC getting solid, close, constructive criticism from half their readers, and cheerleader style "I was drawn in from the first sentence" reviews from the other half, and from the writer's comments they're taking all the rah-rah criticisms as "the truth" and explaining away all of the book's short comings deliniated in the other reviews as "to each his own, I guess."  We have some very strong editors on this site and it just seems a waste for folk to walk away thinking, "well, I guess they just didn't like it."

Salutary reviews from other writers don't necessarily mean much more than that the writer was in a good mood when she read your book.  A lot of us spend so much time checking our books for "rule violations" and "pace" and "word count" that when a book simply doesn't break any of these strictures the main thing we feel is relief and we're liable to ignore the lack of vivid language, deep characterization or real novelty in the work.  And that does the writer no good at all when it comes to getting the book published. 

-Kevin

Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 7:55 PM

Re: Kevin: I "thumbs-upped" your comment because I think your over-all point is a good one. But honestly, isn't that human nature at work? Show me the writer who dismisses all complimentary criticisms and only embraces negative or proscriptive ones and I'll show you a masochistic hack at work sardonically amused that he's been found out and exposed publicly.

I would also say: Wait on writer reaction on some of these criticisms. It can take weeks, months or more for some of those "not sure about this" criticisms to register as correct and helpful with the critiqued writer.

I would also ask: What is the goal here? To collectively produce a book that is focus-grouped into palatable product capable of selling to millions of readers in the shortest amount of time for the maximum amount of publisher profit? Sounds like a marketer's wet dream. Not my dream—or the dream of any serious artist with a vision and voice worth preserving in all of its idiosyncratic, flawed glory, I would hope.

FYI: Was re-reading Michael Chabon’s Wonder Boys last night and ran across the un-translated French phrase “arrière-pensée.” Would that make it past the focus group today? Would Lovecraft’s thick-as-a-brick-&-twice-as-chewy mechanistic-materialist prose? Robert E. Howard’s pulpish prose poetry? How about Kafka’s nonsensical time-line distortions and narrative goof-ups? Kafka’s stories oftentimes don’t make sense! (And I’m not referring to their surreal, Dadaist quality. And for the record: Kafka fan, though with serious reservations and qualifications.) Hemingway’s anti-Semitism? PKD’s occasional lapses into paranoid misogyny?

On a tangential but still very pertinent note: I've read some of these BC books and their associated criticism. Perhaps not the identical books but the same type as the ones you call out here. The good, solid, constructive criticism stands out and the unwarranted cheerleading (notice I said unwarranted; I will shamelessly cheer and applaud any spark of brilliance or technical competence in the writing I critique—as well as underline the moments that caused me to frown and go “Hmmm . . .”) rah-rah stuff causes me to wonder: Are these family and friends coming to the rescue of one of their own? Because it is obvious, you know. To others besides yourself, I mean. And if those writers can’t or won’t learn (and I include myself amongst that group potentially damned to obscurity and oblivion due to wooden-headed tone-deafness and aesthetic retardation) so what? Why are you losing sleep over it? That just means less meaningful competition for your own work to be hailed and acclaimed; a quantitative diminution in the ranks of the great unwashed beating at publisher’s doors vying for eyeballs that could and should rightfully remain focused on your manuscripts.

You always get me going, Kevin! I like that about you. You might read veiled sarcasm into this comment but nothing could be further from the truth; you inspire and provoke me to thoughtful (for me this is thoughtful; for you this may be barf-full—heh!) paroxysms of half-laudatory, half-contentious prosody.

Now I’ve got to go write before I burn out all my energy on inconsequentials again . . .

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 7:59 PM

Carl - I can't believe I wrote that first sentence. Now that I read it, I guess I'm still a little upset that she likes to spit on my writing practices like they're below her. She actually insulted the non-traditional way my professor taught his classes. I guess I don't think of her as a writer because of how little respect she shows other writers. I'm not the only one.

As for when I helped her, she actually asked me to look over it and "help" her. She said the h word, so I did. I tried to help. I did not ever tell her what I think. Never. Ever. That would start a war.

I had a feeling I was spelling Wiccan wrong, but hey, I spell christian lower case anyway despite that it's a proper noun. My computer, by the way, does not recognize Wiccan as a proper word. Ouch, Safari.

I did learn not to behave that way from that incident. If I receive a review that I do not agree with or like, I thank the person politely for their time. Time is worth more than money on occasion, so why should someone's response by thrown aside if they at least tried. Courtesy is very important.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 8:12 PM

Indeed! I was just gently teasing you, LeeAnna.

FYI: I've written many a sentence I winced over later on BC. But that's why we call each other out: to say "Hold on a sec here!" when we go off the rails a bit. (Kevin Haggerty and Tom W. keep me honest and on my toes . . .)

And your larger point comes through loud and clear. Boy, we've all been there with you! Staring at some truly awful manuscript and racking our brains in ever-increasing discomfort and panic: "I've got to say something nice about this text; good grief why did this person shove this manuscript into my hands and ask me what I think?" 

I swore to myself the next time someone I know does that to me (it's always in person, right?) I'm going to hand their manuscript back to them the next day with a tight smile and say, "Your writing is beyond critique." 

Kevin Haggerty
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 9:39 PM

Goo'ness gracious, Carl!

You sure you and I didn't share a past-life where I was the Puritan Inquisitor and you were the Heretic?  Did I burn ya at the stake or something?  You do seem a mite jumpy around me.  I feel like Dennis Weaver in Touch of Evil, "I'm just the night ma-an!" lol

Okay.  So, good golly, where to start?  Firstly, I never said or suggested that we should ignore positive feedback!  I swear, I am no Puritan in this life.  I particularly value the glowing critique that nonetheless goes into detail about just what earned the piece the 5 star rating.  Positive reviews can be among the most inspiring and nurrishing.  But a lot of 'em are just empty calories. 

And, my point was about folk who take only the "good" reviews to heart and seem to think that if they get positive reviews, they needn't pay any heed to the more critical ones.

And what's the goal here?  Well, sir, I'd say it was to become as fine and accessable a writer as I can, and to help others to do likewise.  To weed out the chaff needlessly keeping my work from reaching as wide an audience as the work deserves and still remain true to itself. 

All this talk about focus groups, I hope makes everyone here wince.  I'm not talking about art-by-committee, never would.  I'm just saying there are some few folks hereabouts that can help us, as you say, keep on our toes.  I'm saying keeping on our toes is a good thing.

We all, as artists, would do well to cultivate discernment in choosing whom we take to heart and whom we dismiss.  If your story requires untranslated French, allez-y!  I won't stop you.  As to the weaknesses of various classic texts, if Papa Hem posted a story on BC and I thought it was marred by antisemitism, I would surely tell him so.  And if Franz K. handed me a manuscript with obvious narratives gaffs, I'd feel honored and duty-bound to let him know!  Wouldn't you?  Isn't that what we're here for?  To help each other get better at what we do? 

And finally, my word was "disheartening."  I ain't losing sleep, I assure you. It's just I know how much work folk put into their novels and I know how hard we work to query and find our "in" to the business and then when I read someone dismissing golden critique as "a matter of taste" it, as I say, disheartens me. 

And finally finally, I'm not in competition with good writing.  Ever.  I want as much of that in the world as the world can stand.  If a well written book gets published that is a win/win for anyone who loves literature!

-Kevin
Tom Wolosz
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 9:49 PM

Great discussion!  I find it truly comforting that members of the BC community can get so upset about folks who take criticism so poorly.  I think it says more about you than about those being critiqued.

Years of teaching experience (and, of course, teaching is what you are trying to do with a helpful and honest review) has taught me that I can never be sure what to expect in return for trying to help.  I’ve had people apologize to me for doing poorly despite my efforts, and thank me for the time I’ve devoted in trying to help them.  At the same time I’ve had many who only look at their grades and then file evaluations clearly indicating that as far as they are concerned I am the product of generations of incestuous relations among mentally deficient lower primates.  There’s the great spectrum of humanity in those reactions which can be grist for the mill of character development.

Maybe it would help if the star rating were listed at the end of the review as opposed to the top.  I have also had people pull their story after I posted a review in which I tried to be helpful and comment on both the good and bad.  I often wonder if the review was even read, or if the person (with a very tender ego) just looked at the star rating and bolted.  Maybe it’s also a question of maturity.  In that case we can only hope that the writer will retreat to a corner, lick her/his wounds for a time and then decide to return to the fray.  What else can we do? 

I guess what I find most disturbing is when I read a very poorly written piece, and am about to write a review only to find that someone has posted a (from my viewpoint) completely unjustified glowing review.  At that point I know I can still post my review, but at the same time I also know that it will be as warmly (and thoughtfully) received as a person wearing a Rainbow Coalition t-shirt at a KKK gathering.

And Carl, I’m honored by your mention, and in the same sentence with Kevin! Doubly honored – thank you.

And to all – you make BC a great place to be.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 10:57 PM

"Your writing is beyond critique!" I wish I had thought of that, Carl. But as you saw, I'm sure she would have found something to be snippy about.

I'm with Kevin on being jealous of good writing. Why should anyone prevent something genuinely good from being published for all to read. I recently had a friend publish an anthology of short stories through Create Space. It has been selling exceptionally well through Amazon, and he even got a brick and mortar store to carry it. I am envious in the way that it spurs me on to greatness. I couldn't be happier for him. He is a talented writer and deserves it. I keep trying to get him over here to BC. He would love it.

Now I'm going to plug his book. Check out Pen & Platen by Mike Speegle. He wrote the whole thing on a typewriter and advertises it under that gimmick. It's got a red and white cover. You can't miss it.

Tom, I'm glad that you could be with us too.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:28 AM

Great comments, one and all: Kevin, Tom and LeeAnna!

@Kevin: We've got our own Siskle/Ebert dynamic going here; heh!

I agree with you completely there re: I would very much have readily called out rare wince-inducing moments of bad judgment, poor taste and/or weakness in these great writers' writings if I'd been allowed the honor and privilege. At the very least I would have arched a quizzical brow in their direction and done my best Seth Meyer’s imitation: “Really? Really?

I should have better articulated and elaborated on my original thought: There are no perfect writers writing perfect manuscripts, anywhere. And I most certainly wince when I encounter naked racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, misogyny (What is the word for women who hate men? They set my teeth on edge as well . . .) and all manner of strident ideology and demented religious fervors in a text.

But given that even The Greats have their rare (and sometimes not-so-rare, eh?) misfires and miscues what hope for us, mere mortals? By which I mean to say: I don’t expect anyone I critique here on Book Country to ever immediately and enthusiastically embrace the entirety of my criticisms with fervor and transformed “I’ve-seen-the-light; thank you for the review!” conviction. I’d smell a rat. For one thing I’m never entirely sure and confident about my own proffered  criticisms; I remain very uneasy that many times I miss entire luminous-eyed, hooty-owled forests for a single sickly sapling that’s caught my attention . . .

@Tom: Great insight into the vexations and challenges of modern-day teaching. Did you hear my sympathetic groans carrying out to you? Many years ago I told one Professor G. (a teacher at Oakton Community College in Des Plaines, just outside Chicago) who taught a late-night class in Roman History that I appreciated the fact that he did not talk to his class in the patronizing, honeyed tones of a “group facilitator” cajoling a kindergarten play group. In fact I distinctly remember his storming into class one evening, slamming down the thick stack of essays he’d spent the previous night grading and barking out, “Warning note to you all! It can be difficult for me to grade you when I cannot understand what it is that you are trying to say.” Then, scowling fiercely and muttering under his breath, he stalked about the classroom flicking returned essays at white-faced students in a silence so preternaturally quiet and absolute that you could have heard a mouse piss on cotton. How I loved and admired that man!

(Though we spent the rest of that semester arguing with each other on-line: He was a fervid rightist cheer-leading for the invasion and occupation of Iraq; I the leftist ex-marine "only" supporting a short-term incursion into Afghanistan to wipe out the terrorist camps established there. Btw: I did my final paper for him on Marcus Tullius Cicero, the "Vain Golden-tongued Voice of Republican Rome." Got an A+ on the paper and an A on course but I'll never forget his scrawled comment on the last page of my paper--still have it--"I think you've met a kindred spirit." Leave us understand that Prof. G. was not a Ciceronian . . .)  

Robert C Roman
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:56 AM

Fascinating discussion over the past day.
@Tom - what level do (did) you teach?
@Carl - Misandry. Which, for some odd reason, I always want to spell and pronounce miandrony. Also, what about characters, especially bit part characters, where an author uses some really obvious prejudice as a way to paint the character quickly? i.e. Character prejudice rather than author prejudice?
@LeeAnna - I thought *I* was the ubiquitous BC thread lurker. Also, I feel for you. I've had that kind of response too.

Regarding the larger topic, I've never pulled a project because of low reviews. I've pulled them because I was submitting them somewhere, but never for low reviews. Then again, I've never posted something and had nothign *but* bad reviews. I've always had some positive feedback to leaven the negative. I wonder if I would be able to keep something up if it wound up getting solid 1s and 2s...

Carl E Reed
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:47 AM

@Robert: Thanks for the word assist! Never heard that word; you've educated me.

@Samantha: Nice long posting from you! Now you're getting into the spirit of things. I follow your advice: always try to start off by saying something complimentary. I mean, why not?

Typo correction: Grrrr! What the hell kind of grammar is " I would very much have readily . . "?! I thought I'd backed over and erased most of that clunker; that's what I get for writing at 4:00 in the morning. Should read: "I would readily . . ." Mea culpa! 

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:51 AM

Sam - I absolutely agree. Start with the positive before you make a note of what might not work. It's the same way (in theory) when you're arguing with someone. But please don't ask me if I actually employ this method in the heat of the moment. When reviewing, I always strive to begin with the positive, and at least have one of those for every criticism. But sometimes, it's really damn hard to be positive. Just saying. 
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 11:28 AM

Here, I'll give you something that I try to do and don't always succeed at. I do this for fun sometimes with poorly written works to see if it's possible, and it makes you strive to look at things in various perspectives. What I try to do is look for five things positive and five things that need work. It keeps you from not only being a complete downer, but also gushing over a work.
Angela Martello
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:21 PM

Samantha - well put! Funny, I blame my sometimes argumentative nature on my Sicilian heritage

I think one thing to remember is that not many of us on Book Country are professional reviewers, critics, or editors. And like the people being reviewed, reviewers are human, too, and can be just as "human" in their response to a work (or comment on their review) as a writer can be to the review. Even the most thoughtful reviewers on this site can (and will) at times pepper their reviews with what is basically their preferences ("their tastes" so to speak). Comments on word choices or sentence structures (too long, too short, too many adverbs, not enough adverbs, too many descriptive terms, not enough descriptive terms, etc.) in some cases (certainly not all) can be matters of opinion. Clearly, in others, the reviewer is genuinely pointing out issues with the writing that interfere with what the writing is meant to accomplish: telling a story and keeping the reader engaged while doing so.

But even though many of us aren't professional reviewers or editors, that doesn't mean we can't behave professionally in our reviews and comment exchanges linked to a review. If you need to rant - either as the reviewer or "reviewee" - get it out of your system first before you fill in the oh-so-tiny boxes on the review screen and click "submit" or the comment box and click "post." I frequently have mini-rants at work where I'll point out to my colleagues the latest craziness from one of our freelance copy editors. But when it comes time for me to send feedback to the freelancer, it is done professionally (maybe even with a touch of humor if the freelancer and I already have a good working relationship), with pointers and tips as to how to avoid making the same errors.

Kevin Haggerty
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:20 PM

Hey Sam,

I think the word "opinion" is often used to mean "purely subjective, not to be taken too seriously." People say "IMHO" often to ward off an attack or preemptively smooth ruffled feathers, "Don't mind me, not looking for a fight."  And our writer's ego nods magnanimously and says, "Will do, buddy!" 

I find it more useful to think of the reviews here as "evidence."  Evidence that folk are understanding what you're trying to say (or not), evidence the piece is funny (or not), evidence we're on the right track (or not), etc.  No matter how ill conceived or inhospitable the comment is, it is still evidence that somebody didn't receive the message you were trying to convey.  The artist assigns blame for this miscommunication at her peril.  Better, I think, to make a note of it, file it away, and check back with in over the course of the writing process.  

And of course, you'll find that not everyone's opinion has the same evidentiary value.  A well argued opinion is of much greater value than a flippant one, f'rinstance.  If I tell you what didn't work for me *and here's why,* then it's not "just my opinion," it's a tool, a goad, something you can work with.  If I tell you what *did* work for me *and here's why,* that can be pure gold in your pocket. 

Now, of course, even the best arguments may be wrong for you and your work.  That is always your prerogative as the artist.  But hopefully it's the artist in you and not just your ego that's making that call.  And even so, if several very well spoken folks have the same problem with your book, it would be folly to simply dismiss such concensus as mere "opinion." 

-Kevin
Tom Wolosz
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:49 PM

One way to approach this is to consider something we are all familiar with – movie reviews.  Using that approach we can come up with some basic truisms: 

1)      almost nothing gets unanimous reviews.  Check out RottenTomatoes on-line. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie get a 100% on the Tomato Meter, although I have seen the occasional 0% (but that is very rare);

2)      some reviewers like everything, and some like nothing;

3)      if you read enough reviews, you gradually discover reviewers you generally agree with and some you always disagree with.  I will guess that you then tend to rely on the former and ignore the latter.

So how does this apply to BC?

Based on 1, expect to get bad reviews at least occasionally.  When you open the new review and you see a poor star rating, approach the review with a sigh, not a shriek of horror. 

Keeping 2 in mind (and here Kevin’s point is apropos) ask yourself if the reviewer presents good explanations to back up their points.  You might not agree with them, but you can see their thought process.  If the review is all “this is wonderful!” or “This all sucks!” with no further explanation, shrug and move on - nothing to see here.

Consider 3 if you are unsure about the validity of the points the reviewer has made.  It’s very tough to look at criticism of your own work objectively.  So go to the reviewer’s home page and check out some other works they’ve reviewed.  Read one or two of those stories, and then the reviews your reviewer posted – do you agree with them?  If you find the person’s reviews cogent and well argued it will put you in a better frame of mind when you go back and read the person’s review of your work.  If you totally disagree with their other reviews you have all the more reason to ignore them.

Just 2 more cents on my part.

Robert, I been teaching at a college for years.  Unfortunately, after teaching technical writing and requiring essays in some of my other courses I’ve now forgotten the difference between their, there and they’re; the use of apostrophes (aren’t they just supposed to be sprinkled randomly?); spelling; and the general purpose of punctuation.  Just backwash from - reading, two many’ studnt righting eports!

Tom

Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:37 AM

Re: Angela & Kevin: very, very well said. The dynamic tension generated whilst attempting to reconcile those two very different yet equally-wise and helpful "takes" on how and why to respond to criticism on this site could serve as a mini-primer on how to get the most out of your Book Country experience.

(No slight meant to you, Tom, but Angela and Kevin got there just a few postings before you didthough I do appreciate your helpful advice and elaborative commentary on the matters under discussion.)

Perhaps now is a good time to re-state Neil Gaiman's Rule #5 of Good Writing:

"Remember: when people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong."

@Tom: I've been thinking about what you said the other night about freaked-out writers immediately pulling their writing from the site because of a low-starred review. You know what? I can truly say that I wouldn't mind eliminating the star rating system entirely from the review that the writer and others see.

By which I mean to say: Let only the reviewer see and set the star ratings in three different categories (BC could still use these for tracking and ratings systems running in the background) but hide this info from the reviewed writer and others. This way emphasis is placed squarely where it belongs: on the criticisms proffered, not the bloody stars! This would also, I believe, tend to have a salutory "wave-flattening" effect on fragile, hyper-sensitive authorial egos, cutting off troughs and crests: It would be very difficult, for instance, to discern the difference between a one, one-and-a-half, and two-star low-scoring review on the one hand; or a high-scoring three-and-a-half, four or five star review on the other if the review is comprised entirely of words. What'cha think? 

Robert C Roman
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:53 AM

@Tom - Sadly, it's only getting worse. My viewpoint is skewed by the nature of my students, but right now getting some of tehm to write an original sentence is next to impossible. If they can't copy the answer from a book or from Wikipedia, they won't even try.

I'm occasionally afraid to review, because the caustic comments I hold back with my students might wind up washing over into my reivews.

@Carl - You might be right.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:26 AM

Timely reminder, Samantha. I posted on that thread as well. Just a spitball; don't really expect anything to change . . .
Kevin Haggerty
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:45 PM

Hey Carl,

I'm voting "no." Were you surprised?    I really can't see saving people's egos as the goal here.  Our egos are gonna be on the line no matter what you do.  Remove one scary ego-antagonizing bit and the ego will come up with another measure of how "NOBODY LOVES ME!!!"  Take away the star system and folks will be counting "reads" or "comments" or "# of followers" or whatever they can latch onto.  It's the nature of the ego.

It's funny.  I was thinking about a very different change to the star system when I entered this thread.  My thought was: in order for readers to give a book 5 stars in all three categories, they should have to pay the writer some nominal fee to symbolize that what they're saying with three 5's is that they would run out and buy the book off the shelf as is.  I'm guessing we'd see a decline in frivolous 5 star reviews.  By the same token, I don't think they would disappear all together.  And those reviews would mean a great deal more to both reader and writer.  )

And just to be clear: I'm not serious about this as a suggestion for the site.  I think the star system, when appropriately applied as a measure of "readiness for submission" and not "I likey/no likey" works just fine as is.

-Kevin
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:01 PM

While I do have my issues with the star system, I do see it as somewhat helpful when used right. I too view it as "how ready is my book for publication?" I honestly don't think I'll get a straight five starts (I'm currently hovering at 2 1/2 on my novel), but I believe it is fair.

My problem is when you have overhauled everything, thrown it up, and those starts from when you first posted it still drag your rating down. If you don't get a lot of traffic, then it does effect the accuracy of those ratings. That is what I'm struggling with now. My current reviews have mostly been solid 3 or 4 stars, but my overall really hasn't changed.

Although, I will say that most of those reviews are only on the first 3 chapters of my book, maybe 5, and only about 3 people have read the whole thing. I'm looking for people who are willing to go the long haul. And yes, I did just wave the look-at-my-shit flag. I'm trying to get into the mode of shamelessly hocking my work. If I get another review (besides Sam), then I know I did something right.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:39 PM

Re: those stars.

They give an immediate indication of how your work is perceived by a reviewer. This is helpful, but marginally so. Especially once you realize that the same piece can rate four or five stars from one individual, and one or two from another. 

I look at the stars, but I don't take them to heart. I decide, based on the written criticism, how many stars I deserve.

I've gotten one star, and didn't believe it. I've gotten four. I didn't believe that either. I view my high rating as an approval of my facility for language, and of an appreciation for a general potential. I view my low rating as the result of more weight given to severe problems, by a group of people who have more experience and a more objective eye than I have. I'm still trying to see some of this stuff for myself. I'm doing my homework, reading what's been recommended to me.

My advice to folks concerning the stars: don't pay too much attention to them. But it's nice to have them, for an instantaneous impression of how you're doing. 

The important thing is that the written critique may bring to your attention issues that you are unaware of. 

I see that LeeAnna has snuck in here ahead of me. LeeAnna, why do you care that your overall rating has not budged? You see that your work has improved, from your latest award of stars. Isn't that enough? Just curious.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:44 PM

Of course not, Mimi, because I'm still the insecure, chubby weird kid.

As it is, I haven't been paying much attention to my own. It was just something I noticed as I started getting better reviews, a minor flaw in the system. That's all. I'm pretty happy with how I'm doing, and the new reviews have been mighty helpful. Thanks to all who participated!
Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:03 PM

@Kevin: I posted this under another the Suggestions thread this morning (as a response to PureMagic, who contributed some thought-provoking suggestions of his own to this on-going discussion):
 Well, the problem with the star system being visible to the writer is just that--it's visible to the writer. Even if it's only visible to the writer, many of them--as Tom W. pointed out--take that initial low-star review as a slap to the face and never quite recover enough to hear the criticisms proffered. (Or immediately pull their writing off the site.)

I don't think there are any perfect answers here. And I don't really expect anything to change; I threw this out there to see what others think. (Academy Awards, anyone? Hugo? Nebula? Oftentimes "there can be only one", so perhaps there's a good counter-argument to be made re: Toughen up now; that's the Real World calling . . .) 

Perhaps I should sign off as a sophist, or William Jefferson Clinton this morning, taking both sides of the argument at the same time . . .

I don't see how you can make everyone happy here. I am amused, startled and somewhat chagrined, however, that adults hunger and lust for that "5-gold-star" rating of teacher/reviewer approval every bit as much as second-graders do.

(And I'm not an exception to that rule, Kevin. I can hear Stephen King in my head right now: "Tell the truth, don't truckle." So here 'tis: I experience a rush of energizing opiate-bliss endorphins when the rating is high and a stomach-plummeting fuckfuckfuck! when the rating is low, just like any other mere scritch-scribbling mortal. 'Course, I immediately get over it (or . . . do I?, as a mugging Saturday Night Live sketch character might ask directly into the camera) and I then test, compare and contextualize the experiential reader's comments and criticisms against what Umberto Eco would call the "model reader's" response to a "model writer's" text.

This all sounds very scientific and logical but the whole process is fraught with knotty problems of cognition both epistemological (how do I know what I know?) and phenomenological (the highly-subjective, idiosyncratic and uniquely “you” responses that ensure no two people ever process the same phenomena in exactly same way).

The only thing I’m absolutely certain of is that writers and critics will be arguing with each other as long as writers write and critics critique.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:02 PM

"The only thing I'm absolutely certain of is that writers and critics will be arguing with each other as long as writers write and critics critique."

Carl, I think also inadvertently answered why there will never be world peace. As humans, there will always be the jack ass in the back of the room screaming at the top of his lungs, "Who are you speaking for? I don't agree." Of course, today we no longer handle such a situation with beautiful rhetoric like the Greeks did thousands of years ago. Now, in this country, we prefer to go about it like the current Republican line up. A bunch of finger pointing and name calling without actually answering any important questions.

So, don't respond like a Demopublican. Respond like an Athenian! (We wouldn't want you acting like a Spartan. You might get arrested.)

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:26 PM

I'll say it again, don't sweat the stars. It's the content of the review that matters.

All of my angst stems not from one sad star but from points made that I can't see the validity of, or that I do see, to one extent or another, but don't know what to do about.

Or, even worse, problems that I suspect but no one has caught, dealing with logic and motivations especially, but also with historical accuracy (to the extent that I attempt to be accurate).

Five stars, and nothing but, still won't convince me that my piece is acceptable, until I think so myself.

Tom Wolosz
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:47 PM

Hello Carl,

Fascinating the way this discussion has developed.  When I suggested putting the star rating at the end of the review, it was in the hope that the writer would take the time to read the review first, and thereby maybe understand the reason for the star rating.  My fear is that (I assume a newbie) writer will see a poor star rating and run screaming into the night.  BTW, I’m not being totally altruistic here.  I find nothing as soul crushing as trying to write a thoughtful and helpful review of what is probably a first draft, only to find that after reading it the story is pulled and the writer disappears from BC.  I generally go off and do something else for a few days, unable to even consider reviewing another story for a while.

Thinking it over, I found two problems with my suggestion.  First, much like the person who reads the last chapter of a mystery first, many such writers would probably just scroll down to the end of the review to see the star rating before taking the time to read the review – thereby defeating the purpose of placing the star rating at the end.  Second, and here I’m afraid I must totally agree with Kevin, I have a strange feeling that the type of newbie we’re talking about would see every critical comment in their mind’s eye in 36 font Bold Italic lettering, while all positive comments would be in tiny print.  You are absolutely right Kevin – that’s human nature.

So Carl, your suggestion wouldn’t work, as mine won’t.  We all have to develop a rather thick hide (aka a bit of maturity) in able to do this. I really wish there were some way to help people with this, but unfortunately it’s up to the individual to recognize when others are just trying to help, and accept it for what it is.   

Tom

Robert C Roman
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:58 PM

But... but... I wanted to respond like a Spartan.

Jump to different Forum...