RSS Feed Print
How are the stars tallied?
Michael Guarneiri
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:11 AM

Everyone on BC seems particularly interested in the star-system (myself included). I understand that the stars should not be used to rate the awesome-ness of a book. Rather, the scale is a measure of how complete the book/story is (i.e. how ready it is for publication). That I get, but how are these stars tallied?Take my (shameless plug) flash-fiction, for example. The story has one review (nothing to write home about, I know), but the reviewer marked up four stars in every category; however, the overall star-rating for the story is two stars. Still, that rating says "based upon one review," and I'm tallying up one four-star review, not one two-star review. Hoping that made sense! Thanks for all of the help BC community!  
Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 12:07 AM
Hi, Michael--

The overall star rating on a book is weighed based on the reviewers' reputation on the site as well as on the rating they've given. You can learn more about weighting in the FAQ.

I agree that it is odd though that based on one review, the star ratings don't match. I will definitely bring this up to the team here and see if there is some other way for us to remedy it!

Thanks,

Danielle
Michael Guarneiri
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 3:36 PM

Thanks for the help, Danielle! Just wondering, how does a reviewer get/lose reputation? Does it have to do with the amount of reviews? Or the thumbs up/down?

Jump to different Forum...