RSS Feed Print
Progress Report
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 3:25 AM

I too use pen and paper. There's something about listening to the pen scratch across the paper. And looking at the pages filled with my work.

That, and it's portable.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 6:51 PM

I've finally finished chapter four of FSO. It feels like I've been working on it forever (I haven't check how long ago I finished chapter three. I don't want to know) and for a chapter than was supposed to be quick and simple, laying out the scene for the next ridiculous action scene, it's been a complete pain. Turns out you really do need to plan out the phrase 'travel through the city' before you start writing or you spend all your time staring at the screen, finding other things to do.

Now that it's done, I can finally get started on the other work I've got stacked up. First priority's planning out this year's Nanowrimo, then I've got a short story competition coming up. If I get all that done (ha!) then I can get some work done on all the books I just neglect.

On the whole pen vs computer thingy, I'm a child of the 90's and I can't imagine not writing on my PC. Still, that's mostly thanks to my hideous handwriting. I do find a notebook a great thing for planning though. Arrows are so much easier to do with a pen.
Nicki Hill
Posted: Saturday, October 6, 2012 12:19 PM

Timothy, I'm a child of the 90's, too, but my parents didn't buy a computer until I was in...middle school, I think?  Which would have been the tail end of the 90's, leaving me all of my life up to then to get used to writing with pen and paper (since I'd started writing stories by kindergarten).  They're pretty late adopters on the whole technology thing.  We didn't even have dial-up till I was in 11th grade (2002-03).

Congrats on getting another chapter finished! 

Progress is stalled for me at the moment, but I suspect only because I'm being lazy and just not making myself sit down and write.  I popped open chapter 6 of Key Change yesterday and read through it, and actually felt like I could probably make something up for chapter 7.  I didn't, but it was a nice feeling to not encounter burned-out resistance to the idea yet again.  I've been slowly letting another project develop in my head (I do a LOT of fairly long-distance driving for work, and that's the best brainstorming time for me, so there's actually been quite a bit of mental progress in the last couple of weeks), and jotting some character development down every now and then (erm, not while driving) so I don't lose track of what I've come up with so far.  It's going to be a pretty big project - and generally in genres and with elements that I've never considered touching before - so I'm letting it take its time to gain coherence and cohesiveness before I try to do anything with it.  And it's the first project I've got where I'm really having to do some extensive research, so I got on and requested a bunch of books from our state interlibrary loan system yesterday that will hopefully yield the background I need.  I'm hoping I'll get back to these other projects already in existence and then supplement my interest in this one with the reading.  Maybe it'll feel ready enough at the end of this month to be my NaNoWriMo, but I'll just have to see.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2012 12:34 AM

I finished chapter 30 yesterday and started 31. I have two scenes done out of five. I've been intermittently working on two short stories I've had lying around as well.

Lately I've been devouring books. I've started putting reviews up on my blog. I'm about to pick up my first Iron Druid book. I can't wait.
Nicki Hill
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:46 AM

I've started a third incarnation of Key Change.  Got the idea today to change up the characters' ages, locations, occupations, how they meet, some of their background information (okay, it wasn't a new idea, but I was finally receptive to it today).  I just started scribbling earlier this evening and have not quite two handwritten pages done, but I'm excited to see where the characters lead me this time around.  It's kind of fun to see how existing characters both change and stay the same when given new environmental parameters.

In other entertainment, I've been marathon-watching Gundam Wing and marathon-reading related fanfic, and it's been a lot of fun really getting into some character analysis with that.  My brother was way more into Wing when we were kids than I was, but I remembered feeling drawn to the characters (have I mentioned I have a thing for strong yet sensitive hero-types?), and have wanted to get back into it again for a little while.  Because I've been so immersed in it lately, I can feel myself pulling some of those influences back into my writing right now (heck, I've been having dreams about Wing), and I'm not unhappy with that.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:04 AM

Gundam Wing! I feel like I just got smacked in the head with a middle school memory. I remember the days when I would come home and watch Toonami on Cartoon Network. Back then it was Reboot, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, and Gundam Wing. The line up was more popular amongst boys, except Sailor Moon. Most boys tolerated it because of the short skirts and magical, nude changing scenes.

(My husband had me marathon watching all the Dragon Ball series when I was unemployed. I usually can't stand stupid, naive heroes, but Goku won me over. And he's about as bright as a rock. I think all his screwed up friends balance him out.)

Wow, Nicki. You just pried pure, unadulterated geekery from me and I didn't even mention one Star Trek reference. Wait, I think mentioning the title counts.

As for progress (because that is the point of this thread), I am still in the same place. I've been working on a critique for Angela's A Kaliphian Matter. The first one. I should get back to it.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:06 AM

I remember that Toonami lineup, LeeAnna! I used to watch it when I came home from school. I also remember when Ronin Warriors was part of the lineup. Good times, good times. And Toonami was the reason I started writing fanfiction--a friend also liked the same shows I did and encouraged me to write stories. If it weren't for her, I may not be here today sharing my stories with you all!

I'm almost done editing Chapter 1 of "The Wedding Game" and then on to Chapter 2. I have a few scenes I've written in a notebook that will be added in later chapters.

Nicki Hill
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:22 AM

I have so many creative friends who started out writing fanfic.  It seems like it would be a good jumping-off point, since I'd think you'd be able to focus more on cobbling together a good plot (assuming you're serious about the writing...some of the stuff out there is, erm, not so good) and not worrying so much about character development.  Of course, at some point you'd have to start recognizing what goes into writing a strong character, but you're not trying to learn all of the facets of good writing all at once, so maybe it's easier?  I never wrote fanfic, partly because I wasn't really huge into anime, and partly because I kind of hated the idea of using characters that weren't mine.  Now that I'm older and getting more interested in different anime again, though, I can see the appeal!

I just finished watching Endless Waltz this morning, so now I need to get back to my own work again.  Maybe I'll even do some fanfic as exercises. 

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:02 PM

Oh god! Ronin Warriors.

I was never much into writing fanfic, or into reading it, but my husband got me into this DBZ parody series that is so good and funny I've watched it more than is healthy. I can't even watch the original anymore without thinking of DBZ Abridged. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6EC7B047181AD013

Watch it if you remember the series at all. It's good on a bad day. It really is premium fan work.

Read more of Angela's work last night. Didn't really work on mine. I made notes on a napkin.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:26 AM

Finally finished editing chapter 1 of "The Wedding Game." Am now working on Chapter 2.  Hopefully it won't take as long, but with oral surgery scheduled soon, doubtful.
MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:23 AM
Wow. I had totally lost contact with this thread - come to find out, I hadn't hit the "follow this discussion" button. Whoops.

Anyway. Still plugging along on Destiny. It's my NaNo project - again - for this year. I'm hoping to knock out a big chunk of it. I've been writing almost daily the last three weeks. Maybe I can finish this project and move on to editing in December? :hopeful look:

Also started a new editing-for-pay project last week. Good things happening here!

Kay P
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:59 PM

Jumping in...I HATE pen & paper
Maybe because I am scarred and was a victim in school when my English teachers would force us to write 4+ page essays as rough draft and then type it up to submit....i could do the same thing on my computer for gods sake!! I still recall the cramps in my hand and my pinky that kept smearing the graphite or the ink (pet peeve). Worst is after a while the paper starts to feel like sandpaper and you look at your pinky area and see it all dry and ashy. The only time I look at paper when I'm writing is to jot down a quick outline or ideas so i wont forget.

I don't even watch tv anymore because all of the good cartoons are gone (toonami). My brother and I used to race home to catch DBZ...not a sailor moon fan, maybe card capters but I'm not sure if that was on toonami.
@Nicki- that is also my reason why I never did fanfic. In the end I knew the characters weren't mine.

I finished my first chapter of 'Deaf by Hearing' <---temporary title....and I'm brainstorming a bit for chapter 2. I'm going to continue writing today since I have enough ideas to start. I also I have to edit chapter 1 some more.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:17 AM

I finished chapter 31 of Hands of Ash, which ended up being way shorter than I expected. We'll see what happens in editing, but I'm probably not going to add much else. I will say that it is very, very exciting. A lot happens in so little words. (I can't really give you word count since I used my typewriter. I'll just say 12 double spaced pages compared to chapter 30's 28.) I'll start 32 tomorrow.

@Kay P: Never really was a Sailor Moon person either, yet I've come across a couple of references  to it in really good books. It's weird. Of course, it also took me years to find out that Goku is such a good person because he's essentially brain damaged. Ah, there is nothing like looking back on things from childhood with an adult eye.
Kay P
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:40 AM

This is soooo off topic but @LeAnna Goku is brain damaged?? This isn't literal right?

Chapter 32! damn.

GD Deckard
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:38 AM

Wow, but experience truly teaches! I thought I would do a quick basic edit of the first half of the book & then finish the second half. No change to the scheduled completion month. Nope. No problem.

But the editing suggested changes that had to be made consistent with other parts of the story so editing turned into a bit of a rewrite. The rewrites, inconsequential though they were, popped new ideas that had to be worked into the plot. Now, I've started writing the second half but only after a few-days-project took more than a month to complete. So much for self-imposed schedules.

The moral of this is twofold: I'm an amateur and this thing will take its own sweet time to complete.

My guess is that experienced, published, writers have learned enough about how they write that they can meet a deadline. I can hardly wait to join their ranks so I can get this process under control.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:46 AM

@Kay P: Yes, this is off topic, but so what? We do that a lot on here.

To clear things up, Goku is literally brain damaged. This piece of essential information was taught in the first series Dragon Ball.

WARNING! NERD ALERT!

When Grandpa Gohan found him, he had a typical sayian personality; sadistic and blood thirsty like any good mercenary race. Only instead of killing people, he was chewing through the furniture. One day he jumped out of his basket (the kid was like 6 months old), and fell head first into a ravine almost killing himself. When he finally recovered, his personality was the nice, sweet guy that fans fell in love with.

This kind of personality switch can actually happen when the frontal lobe of the brain is damaged, especially when it's underdeveloped. The fall is mentioned in DBZ when Raditz lands on Earth, but not in detail.

Ah, character development. Isn't it wonderful?
Nicki Hill
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:30 PM

GD, I totally know where you're coming from.  I mentioned that I'm starting the third rewrite of Key Change, yes?  Sometimes this writing thing just feels too ethereal to actually pin to the page...

Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 8:01 PM

GD, I fail miserably at meeting self-imposed deadlines, but deadlines set by someone else? I'm all over those. I actually thrive in a deadline-oriented environment (which probably explains why I've worked in publishing all my professional life). I've been letting my own editing/writing slip while I busy myself with other projects (like editing a short story one of my sisters wrote - her first foray into creative writing). And my kitchen table is covered with art projects in various stages of completion (as well as my back basement). There just aren't enough hours in the day!

Don't fret over the edits and rewrites and the time they're taking. It's all part of the process.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 1:53 AM

Oh, GD, I have the same problem meeting my self-imposed deadlines. I guess it's because it's my own so I'm not accountable to anyone else except my own disappointment. And then I make my own excuses. But I'd rather take time rather than rush.
JoeTeeVee
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 9:20 AM

Hi GD, all

This is a great idea. Thank you.

So:

My thing (my problem?) is - I have started 3 new comic fantasy novels, and gotten about 3 chapters in to each - and stopped. I can't work out whether to finish any of them, or none of them. 

Where your story came from:

1) THE CONTINUING ADVENTURES OF THE AMAZING F*CKING AERO-TANK - I saw a picture of a flying tank from ww2 and was inspired to write about: the crew of a flying ww2 tank, Biggles style. But its set in the present day and nobody told them the war is over. And there is a crew of 10 guys on the flying tank - and they have all kinds of silly adventures. Saving people from the Loch Ness monster, etc.

2) CONFESSIONS OF A CIA TIME-TRAVEL CONSULTANT
A guy builds a time machine (from instructions found in human junk DNA) shaped like a giant gumball machine - and the CIA hires him to time travel and change history. Except due to the Grandfather Paradox, he needs to change things from something else, back to how they actually happened. So, he assembles teams of crime-fighters from history: say, Darwin, Einstein, Sherlock Holmes (fictional character - but, so what), Attila the Hun and Mother Theresa, and they go round saving the world in the past. Except everyone always just wants to go punch Hitler in the face. Sort of THE A-TEAM meets MacGruber via Douglas Adams.

3) FLINT McQUINT: PARANORMAL PROBLEM-SOLVER
A drunk hairy-chested papa Hemingway type guy goes round catching werewolves and ghosts, Bigfoots, and punching aliens, shooting down UFOs, etc. He's completely politically incorrect and always drunk. Sexist, racist, vampirist, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. But - he always gets his (inhu)man. Sort of James Bond meets The X-Files via Mike Hammer, on bad acid, and with a bad hangover.

Why I am writing it. (or, all 3)

1) I dunno, it just seemed pretty funny at the time. It is sort of perverse and anti-story. ie They pick up a damsel in distress and she just texts her friends, instead of listening to all their heroic war stories. 

2) Ditto (seemed like a good idea at the time) - also I was working on an RPG game and thought about how they match up ensembles/teams depending on their strengths/weakness. And how you could do a Score Sheet for each famous character from History/Fiction. eg Sherlock Holmes: Dexterity: 9/10, Intelligence: 10/10, Cocaine Addition 10/10.

3) Ditto. This is fun to write as its completely politically incorrect. Very cathartic. Very Hemingway/Mike Hammer. And no socially redeeming value whatsoever - but is still funny. (Is funny enough?) Actually I think it was reading Mickey Spillane's THE KILLING MAN that inspired me to start this one.
I think this is a comment on how society has evolved, from the 1950's... ie All this Hemingway type stuff seems so macho and sexist now. But, my concern is, I am not sure everyone will "get" that I'm doing outrageous satire. ie - it may cause offense.

Where it's  at the moment: 

All 3 are about, 3 chapters in - and; I sort of don't care what happens next. LOL.
Probably not a great sign...

What I will do next:

Think I will try to get interested, in one - or all - of these stories again. Maybe I will post them to here, and see if anything happens.
i.e. perhaps, if someone sees promise in any of them, I might reignite my passion for these stories. But - frankly, they actually all seem a bit stupid to me...  

Cheers

JoeTV

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 11:23 AM

Wow, Joe. You've go a lot going on here. Interesting ideas.

First I would like to introduce you to a guy named Christopher Moore (unless you're already one of his rabid followers). He writes really good absurdism. He's one of my favorites. He managed to make a story about Jesus into a buddy comedy, raunchy, and yet respect him and his story. (I think that was a finishing combo.) Lamb, totally suggest picking it up if you haven't already. And everything else he's written.

I also suggest One Last Quest by Michael Clemens and Geekomancy by Michael R. Underwood (one of BC's finest!).

Second piece of advice, pick one. I have three short stories and two other novels I want to write, but I'm sticking it out to finish my current work in progress since it's only been, like, a decade. (Come on chapter 32. Push! Push!) It's hard, and sometimes you pretty much have start over. Don't let that encourage you. While I may take a sideline to coo over my dog, whore my WIP Hands of Ash (Beta readers, stat!) and talk about brain damaged superheroes from space (see my last post for that tangent), I go back and chug along like the little engine that realized procrastination is getting her no where.

If you post them up, I might check them out.
GD Deckard
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:22 PM
Hell JoeTV put all those characters into one story. I'd bet, if you stepped back, you'd see how they mesh.

Niki, Angela, Alexandria Thank you. I'm obviously in good company.
SL Brown
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 1:19 PM

GD, love this idea. I've been looking to connect with more people on Book Country. 

My book "Catz" was inspired by an idea that a friend and I had that if aliens were to find Earth they might not deem humans to be the superior species as we do. Rather they would see cats, whom we house, feed, amuse, and clean up after, to be the true rulers of Earth. 

I combined that idea with a story I had been thinking of writing. About a man who was afraid to be vulnerable. He was too scared of rejection to allow himself to open up to anyone else. On top of that he was a drug addict asshole. So I combined the two. 

Thus far I have 7827 words of my first draft. I would love any feedback. Next I plan on continuing on to the meat of the story while going back and re editing bits. 

Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 3:49 PM

Okay, time to get my ass back in gear. Sly is pushed aside, while I do my research on John Dee, astrologer to Queen Elizabeth. 

I am trying to resurrect a piece I wrote thirty years ago, based on Louise Brooks, Of Lulu fame, from the silents.

That story, long lost due to my vagabond existence, was the story of a forgotten mega-star, Marguerite La Mouse. (Yes! She is a mouse! Are you surprised? I can't seem to get away from talking animals.) 

I'm thinking I'll try to reconstruct it. Sadly, all I have left of it is the promotional blurb I wrote for the jacket flap:

Marguerite La Mouse. Fifty years ago the name was a household word. Mention it today and you will rarely see a smile of recognition. Well, La Mouse was a movie star. For my money, one of the greatest.

One of the very first big silent names, she made the sort of film that critics dismiss, but which fans cherish. Her pictures featured lavish sets, beautiful players, the emphasis on style rather than content. She wore stunning costumes, frequently more changes than the other cast members combined.

Her on-screen image was one that almost everyone could relate to. Men adored her. Women admired her pluck. She got away with outrageous bits that, delivered by one of the more intense actresses of the day, would have been pounced on by the censors. Semi-nude seduction scenes can hardly be taken seriously when you constantly trip over your lover's tail. She knew enough to spoof herself, and she worked it. 

She was never a great actress, but she had an entrancing joie d'vivre that made up for her deficiencies. She played the same ditzy character – a mixture of innocently calculating sweetheart and hilariously inept vamp – over and over again. She played herself.

Between 1922 and 1930 she starred in no fewer than 28 productions. She made, and spent, a fortune. But her films disintegrated in industry vaults and today, who knows her name?

Through fortuitous circumstances I was able to obtain a letter of introduction to this reclusive and now quite elderly lady. I was granted permission (the first in over twenty years) to conduct a series of interviews. The transcripts of those sessions plus the unexpected offer of many heretofore unpublished photos and treasured mementos form the basis of this piece on the extraordinary life of a key figure in the history of the cinema.

I hope in the course of this work to make a case for the reevaluation of an underrated artist and to secure for her the admiration and respect that she deserves.

By the way, though she paired with him only once (as both the straight-laced Francelia Fortesque, a professor of Egyptology,  and her frisky ancient-era incarnation, the Princess A'isha, in 'Spell of the Siren Sands'), her favorite co-star was Rudolph Rodentino. 

I guess that name rings a bell, eh?

MariAdkins
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 4:47 PM
I realized about an hour ago that this YA isn't going to continue to lend itself to diary entries. :sigh:

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 10:16 PM

I finished chapter 32 today and started 33. Sadly, they're handwritten. I'll type them up on one of my days off. I have a busy weekend working. I don't remember if I said I finished 31. Oh well. I did. I'm in the last three chapters!

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:27 AM

Still editing Chapter 2. But I've decided to clear away the past chapters of "The Wedding Game" and posted the revised first chapter here on Book Country.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:06 PM

I finished chapter 33. Two more left to go. Then it's editing time. (Does premature victory dance.)
Angela Martello
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:35 PM

I'll be trapped in my house all day tomorrow (and maybe the next) because of Stormageddon. Maybe I'll actually get some writing/editing done (barring any emergencies).

Then again, I could get distracted by any of a number of other projects I've started. Or maybe I'll review something on Book Country.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:55 PM

Join the club of those trapped in due to "Frankenstorm" as Sandy has been dubbed. But we're in the "likely to lose power" zone in the news. So I may end up knocked off Book Country if Sandy does some serious damage.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 2:00 AM

I'm praying we don't loose power. Last year this time a storm knocked it out for ten days. I said to my husband today, as we and everyone else hit the supermarkets for supplies, deja-vu all over again.

Eberhard just checked Sandy on the weather radar sites, he says she's sitting off NC, she's not moving. I wonder what that means for us.

Nicki Hill
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:32 PM

Thinking of all of you who are facing down the storm right now.  We've been getting a lot of wind and a little bit of rain/sleet here in the Mitten, but nothing like what the East Coast is seeing right now.  Stay safe.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:43 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, Nicki. I lost power due to Sandy for nearly 21 hours, we had it restored for 3 hours and then lost it again for 2. It's back up now, thankfully. I didn't get much editing done due to the fact my laptop battery is dying and I'm waiting for a new one. But I did write some scenes between Christian and Gerard for later "The Wedding Game" chapters. By a mix of lantern/cande light.
sricci
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2012 3:10 PM

Great idea for a thread! First, hope everyone affected by Hurricane Sandy is ok. I live in NJ, but got stranded out of town and will be getting home tomorrow. I hear the power is back in my city so I'm hoping to be able to help in some way.

As for my story, I'm working on a novella, working title 2012. I wanted to write a story about the Mayans this year, but thought it would be more interesting to combine two storylines, one with the present day and one that takes place around 900 A.D. (around the time the classic Maya civilization fell). I also wanted to experiment with agile publishing, which I realize sounds a lot like workshopping, but I was hoping to get feedback as I wrote it and shape the story as the feedback came in. 

Right now I've finished the first draft of the Maya storyline, and am a little more than halfway through the present day storyline. The goal is to finish in the next few days so I can start editing and hopefully self-pub a few weeks before Dec. 21!

JoeTeeVee
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:13 AM

Hey GD, LeeAnna, Mimi, all

Well after mentioning those other 3 (and GD, good call about rolling them all into one), I've just posted a few chapters of a 4th one.

It's called `COSMOGRAPHICUS MYSTERIOSUM'

Just a bit of fun... Sort of a spoof of `The Da Vinci Code' but not really. It's an attempt to put my PhD (on Creativity & Narratology) to some good use.

Cheers

JTV

PS - the title is inspired by (or, a dyslexic version of) Kepler's title:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysterium_Cosmographicum

JoeTeeVee
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 10:02 AM

Actually - I just posted another one (a few opening chapters) too:

CONSIDER THE MIGHTY ATOM
(a story narrated by, and about: an atom)

this is another one that I had forgotten about.

Any feedback, mucho apprecciato.
(its in: Comic Fantasy, if anyone is looking for it)

Cheers!

JoeTeeVee
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 11:12 AM

Hi all!
I'm new to this site and about to select my 'first three' to review. I've been told that this progress report is the place to be, so I thought I'd be a little bold and pose a question here prior to doing my reviews.... hope you don't mind!
I've had a look at the reviews being offered and I have a concern over how genuine or fastidious some may be. My aspiration would be to provide comprehensive and detailed chapter by chapter reviews, editing grammarical or spelling mistakes as I go along, as well as giving my, albeit subjective, opinion on the flow and content. This of course would be in the hope of getting exactly this back, when I post my conspiracy/thriller, 'The Desolate.'
My fear is that, this untowardly lengthy build up to my question is already longer than many of the reviews displayed.
Is there any way of assuring that similarly comprehensive reviews can be exchanged?
Sorry to sound sceptical, but I'd hate to invest weeks reviewing my initial choices, only to receive back a "Very interesting, particularly your first and second sentence, where you wrote........... I'll give it 'x' stars!"
All advice most gratefully received..... and sorry for subversively infiltrating your thread to pose a selfish question.
Best of luck
MikeH
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 12:12 PM

All I can say is, try to build relationships with those who have a gravitas in the discussions.

And, do just what you are doing, ask for what you want. Be clear that you would prefer a one star intense review to a three or four star happy-talk one. 

And, you're right. A proper job takes a great deal of time. 

I'll look at your thing as soon as it's up.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 12:24 PM

Mr. Hagan. your fears are entirely legitimate. I don't like four star happy talk ones either. I like detailed ones and understand how hard they take to write. Since there are so many works on this site, some of them chapters long (like my WIP), I try to give general over views of major issues siting examples. Don't worry. I'm pretty honest. I don't pet egos.

I you don't mind that approach, let me know when you post your work. I'll critique it in exchange for a critique of my novel Hands of Ash. I have yet to put up the last 5 chapters, but I'm hoping to soon.  I have yet to get an opinion on anything past the first 20 chapters, and even then I've only gotten a few that got that far. I could use your help and it would be much appreciated.

As for general work in progress, still on 34. Since it's one of that that isn't based in the main group, it's giving me some problems. I hate being on the last two and getting caught up like this, but I'm making progress. Time to sharpen my epic level Word Slashing Axe of Editing.
Nicki Hill
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 2:40 PM

Hi Michael, and welcome to the site and the thread!  I hope it helps you feel better if I tell you that the majority of feedback I've received here has been genuine and helpful.  However, by far my most in-depth and constructive critiques came when I solicited them in preparation for a contest, so definitely don't be afraid to ask!  I know I've been slacking terribly on leaving reviews, because I do want them to be detailed and helpful as well, and sometimes the thought of devoting that much energy wears me out! 

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:22 AM

Good question, Michael. I agree with Mimi about asking what you want. For example, I generally don't focus on spelling/grammar things unless it is a real problem and focus more on critiquing the story. So I wouldn't know that's something you are looking for otherwise. I also agree with Nicki that most of my reviews have been detailed and have led to some good conversations afterwards.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:23 PM

WOW, this is the thread to be on!
Mimi, Alexandria, Nikki and LeeAnna, thanks for the 'heads up.'
I finished my first novel afew months back and have been sending it out to literary agents trying for representation ever since. So far.... and I know this will shock.... without immediate success!
I'm hoping to ascertain whether it just needs a lucky post, whether something basic, like grammer, is off-putting, whether it simply needs some polishing, or indeed if there's just no polishing a .... well I guess you know the metaphor.
I'll start my reviews tonight, though be patient with me as they will take a little time. Afterwards I will shout loudly when I upload my own work of art, and should some kind soul read and review it, then if nothing else, I'll have just doubled my readership!
Thanks again for taking the trouble to respond to my question.
Mike

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:38 PM

Oh yea, by the way......
I had one agent, after reading the first three chapters, ask for the full manu. I got all excited, sent it out and checked my email inbox about 10 times a day for 8 weeks. After this I emailed an enquiry asking (most humbly) if my work was still being considered, and received no reply. I waited another month and then phoned the agent who had been reading the book......... to be told that she had never heard of my book, or indeed me!!!!
Does this mean that my novel is so good that it induces madness and memory loss? What else could it be?
I also strayed from the Writer's Yearbook twice, and got offers for publication, twice. And for a 'reasonable fee'...... argh!
Does anyone else feel that writing the book is the easy part?
Mike

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:42 PM

You will find, in the course of reviewing the work of others, that you learn a lot about your own approach, choices, skills, etc. To shortchange your victim, er, the author of the project under consideration, is to shortchange yourself.

Take your time, do a thoughtful job. We'll be here, waiting on you.

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:51 PM

Hey LeeAnna
I'm reviewing your book.... at about 25% and enjoying the story greatly. It would seem odd to ask for a review of my review, but I'm possibly being a tad too detailed. I'm happy to continue in this thread, but would like you to let me know if you feel this is of use so far, or if you'd like a more general overview. I've saved the review thus far............ now maybe I'm being a bit thick, but how do I get the review to where you can see it? I've looked at your review list and mine aint there as yet.
Oh this is all so new!

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:55 PM

Hey, Mike. Saw your review so far and posted on it. When you're ready to let me see everything, you just post it. I don't remember what the button says. I write down things in a notebook by hand before typing it out, so I don't really know how to post it till I'm done.

As for detail, it's just fine. I prefer detail and specifics over really, really broad strokes. I'm happy to know you like it. I'm petrified it isn't interesting enough and entirely forgettable. (Shrugs.) The things we're worried about.

I did forget to mention that you're asking the right questions. I answer pretty much all of them because I hate loose ends unless it's supposed to tie into the sequel. (So far, I have 3 planned after this.)

I left chapter 34 at home today and started 35 because I can breeze through it. I know the characters better because I spend more time with them. Made good progress.
Nicki Hill
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:26 PM

My progress right now: pretending like I'm doing something for NaNo.    I have this fun new project bouncing around (just since...erm, last Thursday or Friday, maybe?), and I think I'm just going to pants the heck out of it and see what comes.

Kristin Bird
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2012 10:41 AM

Hi all - new here and to NaNo.  Working on my first novel and an published friend warned me against writing in a vacuum, so did some research and this seemed like the community I'm looking for.  Working on finishing the last of my initial reviews so I can post my own work.

I'm about 8000 words into my novel, which is  a paranormal mystery with a hint of supernatural thriller.  Started with the premise that the physical world makes visible the invisible - and challenges how we would see view the world around us if we saw it that way.  MC is a detective who starts encountering strange goings on in her town beginning with the death of a local priest that she begins to suspect was not an accident. As she investigates, she discovers that there might be something to the belief system she had rejected as a young adult.  Includes Satanic cults, religious symbolism, angels/demons, and good ol' "whodunit" aspects in the general outline...though with only 8000 words written, that's all still yet to come in reality.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi and get acclimated to the community here before I head back to writing.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2012 12:02 PM

Hello, newbie. I'm one of the usual faces haunting BC. You're friend is right, writing in a vacuum is bad. There are agents out there who will look at your internet presence before picking up your work because they don't want to work with a writer who won't promote. It's good to get involved. Everyone here is knowledgeable and nice. Got a question? One of us probably has the answer.

Ah, the first novel. Mine looks nothing like it was when I started at 14. Here on BC it's about 150k without the last 6 chapters (30-35). You know what really helped me, writing short stories. It taught me craft. A novel is an endurance race, but I learned everything I put in to it by writing shorter works. Also, write everyday and, in the immortal words of Chuck Wendig, "finish your shit." The rest is secondary.

I might check out part of your novel when it gets posted. Sounds a bit generic from the description. Don't forget to add originality in the details. It'll help define it from something like any other procedural structured para-mystery, of which there are a ton of, even on TV.

Progress: If life allows, I should finish 34 today. I'm half way, so i can rock it. Got a good chunk of 35 done, but probably won't finish it till Sunday or Monday. Then I'll be in full on editing mode to get the rest up here on BC and to my beta readers before I tackle the whole thing.

Still looking for beta readers. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge. And yes, that was shameless. It was my New Years resolution, don't ya know.
Kristin Bird
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2012 3:23 PM

Thanks LeeAnna,
Short stories is actually what hooked me into writing fiction in college.  I love short stories and the freedom they give as well as the challenges they present.  I'm just finally deciding to branch out into the full novel.

The description I gave was incredibly generic - mostly because I'm still working out the pieces, but would love for anyone to take a look when I get it up.

One question... The books that are listed on the map - are those authors still around here at Book Country?  I'd like to make sure that I'm helping folks who are actually still looking for the help, not reviewing a book from an author who posted a year ago and hasn't been back since.

Jump to different Forum...