RSS Feed Print
Adult or YA?
Kristine Ondrus
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:38 PM

I'm currently going back and forth about whether or not to include the 2 extensive love scenes I wrote in my novel. There isn't any swearing and the violence isn't graphic, it is more creative. If I were to pull the sex scenes it would easily be YA appropriate. However I really enjoyed writing the scenes and it would be a shame to cut them.

The character I am writing is very naive and has sex with 2 different men in the space of a month. Hints of another man also play in but you don't actually get the details. I am wondering if it is too much. I modeled that character flaw after a friend of mine and I know how realistic it is for a sheltered young woman to be convinced that every man she meets is her soul mate and sleep with them.

I'm just not sure what to do, if I should pull the scenes or keep them in. They are pretty steamy. I would actually like another woman to read them. If you are interested please contact me! Thanks = ) Kris

Ellie Isis
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 8:35 PM

Actually, my advice would be to research some published YA novels containing sex scenes and read them. Then, see how yours compare. Are they equally steamy? Do yours go into too much detail? Word choice?
cameronchapman
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:54 PM

I think I would ask myself if the scenes were really necessary (as I ask myself of any scene). If they're not, then regardless of whether it's YA or adult, they probably should be removed. If they are, then decide whether you want to tone them down for a YA market, if necessary.

As far as deciding whether they're necessary, I'd look at whether they advance the plot or provide some vital character development. A sex scene shouldn't just be a sex scene. It should reveal something, either about the plot or the characters, and preferably something that couldn't be done as well in any other kind of scene.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:38 PM

I dunno, they might not be necessary to the story, but still a lot of FUN. It doesn't all have to be just what moves the story forward. It SHOULD move the story forward during the scene, but that doesnt have to be the sole value.
Natasha Hollerup
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:33 PM

Hi. I wouldn't mind reading them. I'm having a bit of trouble concerning this as well, but my conundrum is if I should have the scenes be more graphic once they're of age or keep them rather elusive.

MariAdkins
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:41 PM
Are you still out there, Kris? I could read them.

Kristine Ondrus
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 10:07 PM

I can deff send them but I ultimately ended up cutting them because I wanted to go YA.

MariAdkins
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2013 11:01 PM
Unfortunately, I'm elbow deep into some editing for hire and don't have time to read.

Kristine Ondrus
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:56 AM

No problem, I ended up cutting them and saving them for myself =) I think the book is good without it and it allows me a wider audience.

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:30 AM

Hey Kristine,

Cutting the scenes makes sense if you want to reach a wider YA audience. However, you also have the option of making it New Adult and keeping the scenes (especially if the characters are in their early twenties).

Here's more on NA: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/22/books/young-adult-authors-add-steaminess-to-their-tales.html

Good luck with your book!

Nevena

MariAdkins
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 2:46 PM
Kristine - how are you doing?

Jump to different Forum...