RSS Feed Print
Writing Workshops Yes or No
JeopardyQueen
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:03 AM

If you are writing a novel is it wise to take a writing workshop? If yes any thoughts on this online one with Michael Garrett. Is is legit?

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:45 PM

If you’ve read a few books on the subject of writing technique, and have written and edited several novels (but not been successful in selling them), a workshop or retreat might just be that push you need, but they’re not the place to learn the basics (one day workshops are an exception, and are mostly for beginners).

If you’re not to that point yet, for a lot less money than a workshop you can have the effect of sitting in on a one by reading this: www.gryphonbooksforwriters.com/home/gmc.htm. Deb has a warm easy style, and it’s like having a professional sit down with you and explain the nuts-and-bolts basics of creating a scene and then sewing them together into a novel. The only book on writing technique I’ve found that’s better is Dwight Swain’s Techniques of the Selling Writer. It goes deeper into the subject but some people find that a bit dry.

As for Michael Garrett, he is a noted editor, but the novel he claims credit for shows as being self-published.

JeopardyQueen
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:05 PM

Thanks Jay I am a beginner and I have heard of the book and I will read it.

J Boone Dryden
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:37 PM

I would definitely suggest a workshop, but I would encourage you to look for one in your area that is free. I think personal interaction with other writers is really beneficial. So whatever city you're in, just do a google search for writers groups or critique workshops and see what they offer. Some will be paid and some free. Maybe ask around to see if anyone has been to either of them and see what their experience was. Otherwise, most directors of writers groups are pretty welcoming of new members, so they'd be happy to answer questions (I would hope). After that then try online ones. Best of luck to you in your writing ventures.

Jump to different Forum...