RSS Feed Print
You could apparently be arrested for 'disturbing' fiction
Kenley Tan
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 2:22 PM

http://www.cracked.com/article_19450_6-laws-youve-broken-without-even-realizing-it_p2.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CrackedRSS+%28Cracked%3A+All+Posts%29

Take a look at #2

That just plain scares me. I think I've written some "disturbing" things if having the word slash written on it counts, but this is a possible writing challenge.

It just doesn't seem write that writers, who are free to let their imagination run wild, cannot write some fiction that is a little violent.

I'm surprised that laws like that exist, but does anyone here know how to not get in trouble with writing "disturbing" fiction. Some works are extremely disturbing, but why aren't the authors of those works arrested?

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 3:56 PM

Kenley -

WHOA! I had no idea! I'm guessing that this is one of those old laws that rarely gets enforced, mostly because people don't even know it exists.

But still...food for thought.

Everyone, go read that article and come back to discuss!
Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 9:06 PM

Do we know if there are Canadian equivalents? If so, I need to go rooting through my "put aside for a day when I have time to make these better" WIPs and burn some of them...

RJBlain
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 9:12 PM

This doesn't surprise me. I mean, think about it. They censor books. It isn't a far step to go from censorship to illegal grounds for writing it.

Will it be charged often? Probably not. But, it definitely is something to consider.
J Boone Dryden
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:20 PM

And this is why I write socially-conscious, near-future science fiction. It's isn't a far stretch to imagine a world like "1984" anymore.

Jump to different Forum...