RSS Feed Print
Bringing Characters to Life
Michelle Mills
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:01 PM

I recently wrote this piece for my critique group and thought I would share.  I'd love to hear your own ideas—how do you bring your characters to life?

Michelle

When I first started writing prose it was like experiencing first-love all over again—the epic kind.  This was not just another creative hobby—one in a long line in which I’d dabbled—I’d found my soul mate in a journal.  I’m going to write a book I decided after composing my first short story.  My imagination was in over-drive and my determination was fierce, but I’d yet to master some of the critical techniques. I was heavy on the narrative [yawn], and I wasn’t overly skilled at distinguishing my characters through dialogue [dangerous]. I didn’t want to bore and sedate my readers—after all, I quite like my book club and writing critique group friends!  But I wouldn’t be offended if they ordered take-out instead of cooking dinner, and then stayed up all night because they couldn’t put my book down …  I might not be there yet, but I’ve made some inroads with my dialogue.  Recently, the most positive feedback I’ve been granted relates to my dialogue and character development:  “You have a gift for bringing your characters to life.”  “Your characters are 3D.” These were tremendous compliments, as somehow I’d managed to turn my weakness into what I hope is an entertaining and believable rhythm of dialogue.

How did I transition my writing?  I paid careful attention to the feedback I was getting from my critique group; I read numerous books and articles about my craft, and I continued to write, and write, and rewrite. I am still learning, but I’ve discovered a few things along the way that work well for me:

Get intimate with your characters
In order to express your characters effectively, you need to know them intimately first.  Pretend you are their shrink—go beyond the questions you might ask an interesting new acquaintance, as well as the questions that would get you punched in real life.  The latter is crucial; you need to know what makes them tick, and understand what their motives are.  It is also important to understand the reasoning behind their actions, however delusional it might be.  It could be psychological or circumstantial, or a combination of both.   We all know we should do this, but not everyone does, or we mistakenly focus on character sketches for the protagonist, hero, and villain, and then neglect our supporting characters.

Um, uh …you know what I mean…
Cut this stuff out!  People say these things in real life, but they serve no purpose and will do nothing other than stifle your conversations and bore your reader.  Be realistic, but concise—employ your dialogue to propel your story forward or develop your characters.  Watch out for those “couch potato” words that merely expand the waistline of your novel’s word count, but do little else—they need to go!

Make your reader laugh!
Jeannette Walls, author of the Glass Castle has it right.  Regardless of how serious your topic is, timely injections of humour keep the reader engaged and wanting more.  I like to accomplish this through dialogue.

“For crying out loud—don’t you two have anything better to do than argue over what kind of tea you’re drinking?  It’s EARL GREY for heaven’s sake,” Alice yanked up the label with an arthritic hand—“says so on the tag!”

Fantasize
I envy the writers in my group who put pen to paper and the words flow as delicious and smooth as melted chocolate.  I can only do that if I have solitude, and I’ve played the scene in my mind like a movie first.  I watch the characters, their facial expressions and their movements, and listen to what they are saying—then I write it down.

Strick a balance – Narrative vs. Dialogue
It is important to appeal to the five-senses of the reader, and this is where the narrative plays an important role; dialogue alone cannot accomplish this.  It would be odd—disturbing even—if a character was to say this:

“Claudia, it’s so nice to see you on this exquisite May morning of 2011.  The scent of spring flowers is in the air, tiny birds are chirping a cheerful song and the sky is as lavender as Elizabeth Taylor’s eyes.  Your gold sandals, breezy white sundress and spiraling, raven hair are reminiscent of a Greek goddess—you are beautiful.  I’m guessing you are in your mid-thirties?”

If someone ever said that to me, I would respond like this:

“I have to go …please don’t follow me.”

Having said that, it isn’t a good idea to rely too heavily on the narrative—your prose should not resemble a speech.  There should be a harmonious and effective mixture of dialogue and narrative:

“Hurry, Matt.  My mother’s gonna kill me—I was supposed to be home by nine.”

“I’m coming.”  Matthew assured, springing to her side.  “But no one’s going to kill you,” he chuckled, “at least not today.  These are for you.  Happy Birthday.”  Matthew pressed the flowers into her hand with a shy grin before turning away.

“They’re beautiful, thanks.”  Emily’s cheeks grew warm.

Matthew shrugged his shoulders, “You’re welcome.”

Emily narrowed her eyes mischievously when he wouldn’t meet her gaze.  “Do you always blush this much when you give flowers to a girl?” She smiled at him when he dared to face her once again, her silver braces reflective in the sunlight.

Sources of Inspiration
Dialogue should be interesting and dramatic.  As a writer, I feel as though I’m always collecting tidbits and storing them in my mind or inside a journal.

• Reminisce:  Dig deep into the attic of your mind.  You’ll find all kinds of characters, anecdotes, sights, sounds and smells.  Why not build that weird uncle or neurotic cousin into your story?
  • Eavesdrop:  I was at Starbucks once and a lady described a baby as “a cottage-cheese factory.”  I thought it was a gem, and her comment made its way into the dialogue of a short story I was writing
  • Dreams:  I feel especially creative in the morning when my mind is fresh from dreams.  A journal and pen are always beside my bed
  • The News:  They say that truth is often stranger than fiction—so true.  The news is also an excellent source of determining how the law deals with crimes in specific regions.
  • Media:  Our world is saturated with media—it’s everywhere.  Take advantage of the inspiration that is available at your fingertips, whether it’s in the form of Google, or a glossy magazine.
  • Pay close attention to your surroundings: I once saw an older man who walking through the streets alone, wearing a gaping hospital gown that revealed his underwear. From this I formed the character of a man with Alzheimer’s and a big secret.
  • Read often:  You will be influenced by what you read, so read books from authors that inspire you in the genre of which you are writing.  Take note of what bores you and what captures your interest.

Michelle Mills
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:04 PM

My apologies for the wonky spacing when I copied this over
Smoothmarmar
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 4:25 PM

Michelle. Thanks for the wealth of information. I really try to keep my readers interested in my characters. I still have a small problem with narrative vs. dialogue. My professor recommended this site to help me further my writing.

Thanks a million!
Michelle Mills
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:41 PM

You are more than welcome, Smoothmarmar! Thanks for reading my post; I hope it inspires you. This is a great community for writers to be; I highly recommend it so far.

Best of luck to you with your writing!

Michelle
Marcie
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 1:50 PM

As always, I think you're brilliant
Michelle Mills
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 7:56 PM

Thanks Marcie, takes one to know one!
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 12:55 AM

I'll add to this discussion after I see if my posting goes through. I'm having no luck with an 'Introduce Yourself' entry. What's going on with this site?

I'm brand new, and the trouble I'm having is not making a good impression.

Mimi Speike
Michelle Mills
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 7:34 PM

Hi Mimi,

Welcome to this site! I'm sure as you begin to post in the forums and and share in the critiquing process you will find that this is a great community! Sometimes new posts aren't overly visible.  Dont give up.  Wishing you the best of luck!

Michelle

Michelle Mills
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:16 PM

Love it, Roy -- so well said!
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:05 PM

I see that I dropped the ball here. My previous very odd response was the result of having just joined Book Country and being unable to get my comments to display on the site.

Here is what I intended to say:

I'm with you one hundred percent on having an intimate knowledge of your characters. I know my creatures in and out, up and down, every which damn way. I've lived with them for twenty years. That's how long I've been working on my monster, which ought to be named The Never-Ending Story, but is just as aptly called, Sly!  

I also collect tidbits of information overheard in conversations, or swiped from newspaper articles, which sooner or later get plugged into the thing. Like you, I've been criticized for being heavy on description and lax in identifying speakers. 

I see that you have no book up. If you did, I would read it. I believe we have a similar approach. I'm eager to see if my impression is correct. In the meantime, I'd like your verdict on an opinion recently expressed in a review, regarding character development.

"The characters reveal themselves primarily by their actions, which, in my opinion, is better than having a narrative voice describe them. Sorry to use an old adage, but actions do speak louder than words."

It isn't clear to me if the man means actions combined with introspection and insightful dialog, or if he actually means depicted actions and reactions as the mainstay of the understanding of both personalities and events.

The folks who champion this approach frequently cite films as being the epitome of Show, Don't Tell, and the model to follow. But films provide information-packed visuals. On the printed page, the equivalent is description.

What do you think of this advice? Am I nuts, or is this next to impossible, especially in a period romance/thriller, in which an unfamiliar setting and circumstance need to be conveyed?

Jump to different Forum...