RSS Feed Print
What are you least favorite thriller cliches?
Marc Poliquin
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:13 PM

Having just uploaded my thriller Dead Switch, I thought it might fun to see what thriller cliches really get under people's skin.  I'm posted a similar discussion in the fantasy discussion section.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:06 PM

Personally, it's got to be the 'secret that will change the world'. Why? Because it never does. It's always hidden away at the end or destroyed or covered up. It drives me mental. Why can't we get these worlds where they've changed. Can't the writer dream up what's going to happen to the world as a result? Even if it's just for the epilogue?

Maria Granovsky
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:32 PM

For me, it's when the implausibilities start piling up and tip into absurdity. And when things and protagonists clearly do not obey the laws of physics and chemistry. If one's writing a superhero fantasy thriller, by all means - have at it: create an alternative universe. But if it's in this time-space continuum, the writer really should respect the limitations of the setting and challenge him/herself to work within them.

Also killing with a pen inserted into an eye or an ear - there was a period where I read three or four thrillers in a row with that scene.

Marc Poliquin
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:38 PM

And the secret that will change the world is usually found in some ancient text related to the church and/or the Knights Templar and/or the Masons.  For once, I'd like to see the "secret that will change the world" found in the files of an accountant from Des Moines.

Maria, I'm wondering if the implausibility thing happens because the writer paints him/herself into a corner.

Maria Granovsky
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:18 PM

Marc, I'm sure the implausibility thing happens because the writer paints him/herself into a corner. And is either on deadline, or otherwise too wedded to the original concept to let it go.

Have to laugh at the "files of an accountant from Des Moines."  And what about the other most overused trope - the Nazis!

Marc Poliquin
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:23 PM

Being a die-hard Raiders of the Lost Ark fan, and the son of a WII film enthusiast, I've never minded them as a villain.  What bugs me are protagonist character names that try a little too hard to "interesting". 

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:17 AM

The, no one believing you, bit. It seems like the moment you know some truth, no one believes you.

Marc Poliquin
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:27 PM

This goes hand in hand with yours, Alexander, although I'm not sure it's a cliche: the skeptic who, when repeatedly presented with evidence of whatever he or she is skeptical about, continues to doubt.  I've been rewatching the X-files on Netflix and that aspect of Scully's character is really starting to grate.

Jump to different Forum...