RSS Feed Print
Dance with Dragons
ESCKey
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 7:19 PM

A topic: How psyched are we that George RR Martin's "A Dance with Dragons" finally has a release date?
LexieGirl
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:12 AM

Well it excited me only because after a good awful amount of time I can finally tell my friend so she'll stop asking every month 'is it out? is it out? did you get it? can I read it?' XD
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 1:45 PM

Ha! I will believe it when I have a copy in my hands! LOL!
Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 7:07 PM
I think I'll pinch myself when I see it on Powells' bookshelves ... just to be sure! But, yeah, I'm stoked. In the mean-time, I'm glad to have Rothfuss' new novel on my bookshelf.
Tara Kollas
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:21 AM

I also agree with Colleen. I bought Feast for Crows from Amazon.uk because it was released a few weeks earlier there. I just got the order update from Amazon.uk about my order for Dance With Dragons. The previous publication date was October 2008.
JRVogt
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:07 PM

Cannot wait. Problem is, it's been so long I need to go back through all the others to remember everything that's happened up until now.
Quinn
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:56 PM

I only just read A Game of Thrones (super psyched for the TV show, by the way), and I was kind of holding off on reading the rest of the books until I got the sense that the series was actually going to conclude. This is the best indication we've had so far, but Martin's slipped from the deadline's grasp before...
RJBlain
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:14 AM

I am starting to be convinced that I am the only fantasy reader that has no fondness for Martin's books. I got partway through book one and just couldn't finish it.

I keep thinking I will give it (another) try and pick up my husband's copy... just cannot get past the first chapter or two.

It isn't even that the writing style is bad or anything... I just don't like it. Couldn't get a feel for the character, and couldn't get into it.

Oh well... my husband will be very pleased that it is coming out, but he will wait for paperback because 'hardbacks are too heavy to read easily'.
JRVogt
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:50 AM

Curious about the reason behind your feelings, RJBlain. I can actually understand why some folks might not enjoy the series. Somewhat along the same lines of people who don't enjoy Joe Abercrombie's fantasies. All the dark, gritty, violence, the sense of increasing hopelessness...that sort of thing. It can be a turn off, but the world and the twisted characters still draw me along.
RJBlain
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:26 AM

The subjects of violence don't bother me. I'm a *huge* fan of Stephen King's The Stand, for example.

However, I always got the feeling that Martin's writings were much more crude. I think I need my dark and gritty, depressing and cataclysmic with a lot more grace and sophistication than I feel Martin's storytelling possesses.

Perhaps the grace and sophistication come later, but I haven't been able to get past the crudeness to get into the story. I can't even identify why it feels crude to me. It just does.

The plot of the stories has me interested to a point -- my friends love it, and have told me what the story is about.

But, I guess it boils down to the fact I am a bit of a prude! Which is truly odd, since there are stories that I have read (and really enjoyed) with far harsher content than Martin has brought to the table.

Really not into the incest thing though. That is a major turn-off for me. Friend warned me about that before I started reading. Perhaps this colored my opinion of the whole thing.

I'm not really sure if I *can* explain it accurately and clearly. it very well may be that the fault is entirely with me and not even with any part of Martin's writing.

I will have to just slate it as 'personal preference' I suppose!
Robert C Roman
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:45 PM

@RJBlain - That's really odd; I've read King's fantasy and Martin's, and the biggest reason I prefer Martin is because I find King crude.

Then again, I'm comparing Martin with Eyes of the Dragon, because those are the ones I've read most recently.

Also, when I say 'crude', I'm thinking of execution, not content. Eyes of the Dragon seems very simplistic and, in a way, childish to me. It's not *bad*, it's just simpler, almost like it was written for a younger audience. For all I know, it may well have been; the copy I read didn't have a "YA" marker on it, but...

Fascinating how tastes and perceptions differ.

In answer to the original question, btw, I am definitely looking forward to Dance with Dragons. Been waiting since I finished Crows.
RJBlain
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:51 PM

@Robert - That is just it -- I don't mind a more 'childish' writing style (Although when I think of Stephen King, I think of the Stand. That is really my beloved book by King. The original print run of it.)

The *content* I find is crude. I get that the language used may be more realistic, but when it becomes a matter of trying to be vulgar for vulgar's sake, the usage of the vulgarity itself becomes overdone.

I haven't read Eyes of the Dragon. Too many books, not enough time and money for them all!

There is nothing wrong with more simplistic fantasy, either. Some of the best books I have ever read have been suitable for adults *and* YA alike... while not having the YA tag, they appealed to both. That is my ideal type of book.

Then again, I guess it matters what you want to get out of the book. When I sit down to read a fantasy, I want to be entertained and amazed. I often read a fantasy to escape the pains of the real world for a little while.

My main problem with Martin's writing could very well be it is *too* realistic for my desired level of escapism.
R S Hunter
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:30 PM

I'm really excited for A Dance with Dragons, but I feel like since it's been so long I might have to reread the entire series to make sure I'm prepared. I don't think I have the time to read all the books again; they're good, but they're quite hefty.

I'll get A Dance with Dragons when it comes out, and hopefully my brain will remember what I need to. If not, I guess I'll just Wikipedia the story and characters.
MB Mulhall
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:55 PM

Caaaannnnot wait. Thankfully I was only introduced to the series at the end of last year so I haven't been waiting years for it, but I'm super excited to read it and watch the HBO series! Squee!
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:50 PM

I... haven't read any of his works yet. I know, I know, bad geek.
MB Mulhall
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:50 PM

A friend of mine spotting someone on the NYC subway reading galley proofs. He said it was a Danaerys chapter. I asked why he didn't try to snatch it for me and he said it was only about 50 pages and not worth being chased by police for. Phooey.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:10 PM

@RJ - sorry to take so long to reply. Life is.

Anyhow, I get you on that. I don't think Martin is so much being crude to be crude, but rather writing characters in an environment that does not penalize crudeness. In that environment, some people get cruder.

Anyhow, I get you on why you don't like it. I also have no problem with simplistic fiction, it's just generally not what I'm in the mood for.

Jump to different Forum...