RSS Feed Print
Newsflesh Trilogy
MariAdkins
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 3:51 PM

Alive or dead, the truth won't rest. My name is Georgia Mason, and I'm begging you: Rise up while you can. - Georgia Mason

I'm currently three-quarters of the way through Feed by Mira Grant -- Orbit, 2010; nominated for a Hugo. (She's Seanan McGuire, who's writing the October Daye series.) It's the first of the Newsfeed trilogy of Feed, Deadline, and Blackout. A friend let me borrow the whole set, so I'm able to read them beginning to end without having to wait for publication.

Feed
is different from Seanan's other work.. I like it - it's definitely Seanan's work, and I'm the opposite of disappointed. I enjoy her style and love her sense of humor. I also like that she's not afraid of long blocks of narrative - sometimes pages at a stretch - with no dialog whatsoever. I'm one of those readers who doesn't need endless dialog to drive the narrative - it gets redundant and boring and hard to follow. She uses dialog well: where it's needed and makes it spare. Feed is what happened when she got into a discussion with someone and had to answer the question: What happens when you poke a zombie with a stick?

Feed takes place twenty years after the Rising of 2014, when two man-made viruses came together to form "Kellis-Amberlee" and infected all mammalian life. Death causes the virus to "amplify" which converts any mammalian host over forty pounds into a zombie. The irony here is that the two viruses (the Kellis Flu and Marburg Amberlee) had been found to cure the common cold and cancer, respectively.

After "the drop", the virus infects everyone, so is inherent in their immune system. Great boon -- until you die and convert. Kellis-Amberlee wants only one thing. To feed itself so it can continue to live and grow.

After "the drop", traditional media outlets and politicians focus on what's "interesting" as opposed to "what's good for you".

People in the streets died while news anchors made jokes about people taking their zombie movies too seriously and showed footage they claimed depicted teenagers "horsing around" in latex and bad stage makeup...There was a war on, and the ones whose responsibility it was to inform us wouldn't even admit we were fighting it.

The youth of the nation are fed up with this and take matters into their own hands: they take everything they can online. These bloggers refuse to sit on the truth, filter the truth, or sensationalize the truth. This is the raw, unadulterated news:

The "real" news media was bound by rules and regulations, while bloggers were bound by nothing more than the speed of their typing. We were the first to report that people who'd been pronounced dead were getting up and noshing on their relatives. We were the ones who stood up and said "yes, there are zombies, and yes, they are killing people" while the rest of the world was buzzing about the amazing act of ecoterrorism that released a half-tested "cure for the common cold" into the atmosphere. We were giving tips on self-defense when everybody else was barely beginning to admit there might be a problem.

Blogs and other non-traditional (new media) news outlets deliver the news and entertainment, bloggers are recognized (and certified) as professional journalists. These are divided into three groups: Newsies, Irwins, and Fictionals, all with their own rambling branches of sub-groups. The Newsies are focused on fact-based reporting. The Irwins (named for Steve Irwin) educate and entertain by "poking things with sticks". The Fictionals provide fictional content of all kinds -- just like the type we find on TV, in movies, and books today.

Feed is told by Georgia Mason as she and her brother Shaun and their crew (all  members of After the End Times newsblog) are hired by the campaign of Republican Senator Peter Ryman. Things start going bad when the campaign convoy is attacked during a stop in Eakly, Oklahoma. Camp security is compromised along with an outbreak -- someone orchestrated this attack. Georgia and her crew dedicate themselves to get to the bottom of the attack. Before they can, bigger news happens. An outbreak occurs at the Senator's ranch, killing his oldest daughter, her grandparents, and a number of the staff.

Georgia and her crew acquire permission from the Senator to conduct their own investigation after the ranch has gone through the decontamination process. Once they arrive, though, it becomes quite clear the decontamination was never completed. And, most of all, they discover a syringe filled with live Kellis-Amberlee.

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 5:15 PM

Thanks for sharing, Mari. I like Seanan's October Daye books, and wondered what her sci fi work was like. Now I think I'll definitely give Feed a try! I also happen to like zombies.
MariAdkins
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 5:32 PM
She's good. Now I'm wanting to get my hands on Incrypted, too.

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 7:32 PM

I read the first Incrypted book and I'm not as in love as I was with the October Daye ones, to be honest. The romantic elements in it are definitely stronger, and the world is a lot of fun. 
MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:25 PM
Interesting. Thanks!!

by the way - i was up until 3:30 yesterday morning finishing Feed. awesome stuff.

have moved on to the latest Joe Ledger (Extinction Machine, by Jonathan Maberry) because i've been waiting on this for months.

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 9:25 AM

Good to know . And the third book in the trilogy has been nominated for a Hugo in the Best Novel category!

MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:00 PM
Yup. I follow Seanan's blog at LiveJournal.

Also, I have acquired all of the Newsflesh short stories except for Fed, the alternate ending for Feed.

MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:56 PM
Whoops. I had totally forgotten about this thread!

Unfortunately, I'm not able to give the second and third books in the series the praise I gave the first. The short stories were great and did add to the overall story; with the exception of Fed, the alternate ending of Feed, they all seem to occur pre-Feed. (with the exception of San Diego 2014, which flips back and forth between 2014 and some time post-Blackout)

The second and third books had a lot (and I mean a lot) of unnecessary repetition - more in the third than the second. It got to where I wanted to shake the books to see if the repeated stuff would fall out. I mean, any responsible (?) editor would have caught this and done something about it. I would have, at least.

Here is an example. Stuff happens to character A in character A's point of view. End of chapter. Beginning of new chapter. Now we're in character B's point of view reliving the same exact scene!

Too, I had moments when I thought if I saw one more reference to how the blood testing kits worked, I might turn into a zombie myself just so I wouldn't have to go through the same explanation one more time. Also, if one more character had slapped his hand onto one of the testing screens, I'd have probably thrown the book across the room.

The core of these books, the heart, the premise was fantastic. And I enjoyed Feed. A lot.

But the execution of the second book, especially the third, left a lot to be desired. Blackout reminded me of something I might have written for myself just to satisfy the itch of needing a story to end but would have never, ever let outside the house.

I was very disappointed.

MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:57 PM
A new Newsflesh short is scheduled for release in July, if I"m remembering right.

Mari Adkins
Posted: Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:44 PM

launched july 15th:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-This-Land-Blue-ebook/dp/B00BL3P3T8

July 15, 2013
A new Newsflesh novella from the New York Times bestselling author that brought you Feed, Mira Grant.

Post-Rising Australia can be a dangerous place, especially if you're a member of the government-sponsored Australia Conservation Corps, a group of people dedicated to preserving their continent's natural wealth until a cure can be found. Between the zombie kangaroos at the fences and the zombie elephant seals turning the penguin rookery at Prince Phillip Island into a slaughterhouse, the work of an animal conservationist is truly never done--and is often done at the end of a sniper rifle.

Jump to different Forum...