RSS Feed Print
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Michelle Mills
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:30 AM

I'm looking forward to this read which is my next book club selection.  Apparently it's impossible to put down so I will warn my family in advance they will be shamelessly ignored, and we will eat takeout for a couple of days!

Anyone else read this book? If so, what did you think?

Michelle Mills
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:32 AM

p.s. Have you seen the movie? Is it good?
Tawni Peterson
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 2:18 AM

I thouroughly enjoyed the book. Finished it in a day in a half! The movie was good, and I think captured the essence of the book, but adaptation is tricky. All-in-all, I enjoyed both.
Michelle Mills
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 3:05 AM

That's good to hear - can't wait to see the movie!
SusanElizabeth
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 11:33 PM

Just finished this book this morning! It took me a little bit of time to become invested in the individual stories, but then I just flew through the second half. Stockett captures the Minny and Abeiline's dialect so well. My grandma grew up on a farm in the South and I felt like I was listening in on a conversation between my her and her sisters.
Michelle Mills
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:13 AM

I agree, Susan. Stockett captured the dialect very well. Did you enjoy the movie?
SusanElizabeth
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:19 PM

I actually haven't seen the movie yet (which is backwards for me - I usually tend to do movie then book). I did keep popping on to IMDB to see who was playing which part and I watched the trailer a couple times to compare. The whole time Minny was waiting for Hilly's scream I kept picturing Bryce Dallas Howard screaming in the trailer. Did you see the movie yet? I see your post about wanting to see it was from a little while ago, so not sure if you got to it yet.
Michelle Mills
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:25 PM

I did see the movie and the casting was really great! I highly recommend it!
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:42 PM

I am very, very late to the game on this thread, but I just wanted to chime in that I LOVED The Help. When I was at the University of Iowa I had my students read for a class called Creative Writing and Popular Culture. I will spare you all my ramblings on the nuances and intricacies of this book's appeal, but I'd love to chat more about it if anyone is still interested in it. Landmark women's fiction title for SURE!

MariAdkins
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 12:38 AM
I have to admit to seeing the movie but not reading the book. It is on my wishlist ...
Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 11:07 AM

@Mari--the book is SO much better than the movie. You know what is also amazing is the audiobook--three different actresses read the three first person narrations, and they do SUCH an amazing job. Octavia Spencer (whom I LOVE) plays Minnie in the movie AND reads her part on the audiobook. Loved it--fantastic reading experience all around (I've read it twice!!).

Jump to different Forum...