RSS Feed Print
The Doubting Game
Lynn Montagano
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 4:31 PM

We all go through it. Those gut-wrenching moments when you stare at your MS for the zillionth time and that creeping, nagging bit of self-doubt starts yapping. I've been writing and rewriting and editing my book for two years. I've broken up with it so many times I'm surprised it still takes me back at all. 

I'm having one of those 'break-up' moments now. That's one of the reasons why I posted a small part of it on this site. Maybe if I let it meet new people and have a bit of a social life, I won't be so frustrated with it when I go through another round of revisions and polishing. 

What do you guys do when you're ready to break-up with your book? 

Lynn =)

Herb Mallette
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 4:49 PM

I took about five years to write and revise the first book in what I planned to be a trilogy. By the time I was done, I was so ready to write something different that I couldn't go on to the second book (in addition to having no idea where the protagonist's personal growth arc would go if I had continued). A few rejection letters from publishers convinced me that it wasn't going anywhere in its current condition.

So I put it in a drawer and moved on to other projects. It's now waiting for the day when I'm a successful full-time writer (or retiree) with enough available free time to get back to it. I haven't broken up with it. It's a part of me -- of my development as a writer -- and there's enough good stuff in it that I'm comfortable I can go back and mine it to good effect once I'm at a point where I'm stuck for something to work on.

When I do get back to it, I know that I'll be able to approach it with a genuinely fresh perspective -- much more like an unbiased independent reader than a heavily invested author.

So don't break up with your book. Just tell it the two of you need to see other people/projects for a while in order to see how you really feel about each other.

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:31 PM

Like Herb, I put it in the drawer and tell it that I just need some space. Often, that returns me to short fiction, and I enjoy that form immensely.

It always helps me when I remember to forgive myself. If there's a problem that's driving me crazy, sometimes the back of my brain just needs to noodle on the problem while I go off and do something that brings me joy. It's part of the process that helps me create.

I like your approach. I hope meeting new people will help return it to your loving arms instead of drive you apart.

Lynn Montagano
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:25 PM

I'm madly in heart with my book. I'm also a perfectionist and need to remember that it's okay to walk away and take a break every so often. =)

My novel and I are still happily plugging along, discovering new things and letting the creative juices flow.
Kayla Nicks
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 9:25 PM
Hi Lynn, i'm Kayla and just recently joined this website. I already posted one of the three books i'm writing. But one book is being really difficult and i want to delete it and post it again the second time. So i was wondering how you delete a book. And also i started reading your book Catch My Breath. OMG!!! I'm falling in love with it!!! I can't stop reading it! You're a very good writer. Since you are a great writer i was wondering if you could read my book P.S I Love You because i would like for you to read it and give me recommendations in order to improve it. Thank you. Hope you respond soon.
MariAdkins
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 1:40 AM
i'm so sick of midnight. it publishes next spring - and i'm glad to be rid of it. ((i never thought i'd say that!))

Andrea Matthews
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 11:25 PM

Ditto, I put it aside for a while and move on to another project.  I try to keep my projects at different stages, so that when I put the one I'm revising aside, I'm not just moving over to revise something else, but maybe actually writing a new chapter or doing some research for a new novel.  When I feel like I'm ready to tackle it again, I do it chapter by chapter, giving each one to a friend or two to read as I go along.  That way I'm getting some constructive criticism as I go along,  plus it gives me an excuse to meet some friends for lunch! 

Jump to different Forum...