RSS Feed Print
Writing for the sake of writing
Rommel Luna H
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:49 PM

I just have to ask. I almost don't want to. I'm a chicken, I know, but... I have to: does anybody here writes just for the sake of writing (as opposed to wanting to become rich and famous)?
I know that most of us are aware that becoming rich and famous through writing is less common than through inheritance by an unknown mysterious billionare granduncle with lots of facebook stock, but is there anybody out there that really wouldn't care if he gets published or not, ever?
My position, as if anybody cared, is: I write because I want to explain my ideas to the people close to me (mostly, my children), and if nobody else likes or care for what I write, I am OK with that. If some editor, for some obscure reason, liked what I write and wanted to publish my book, I would be happy, very happy, but if that never happens, I am OK.
Anybody shares this vision?
P.S.
Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there's anything right or wrong with feeling this (or the opposite) way. I am just truly curious as to what kinds of expectations (and degrees of these expectations) writers in general have.
Cheers!

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:59 PM

I put my writing up for free online in a serial fashion. I HOPE one day to turn my hobby into something to make me money, get my name recognized, maybe get groupies at cons offering me sexual favors, but I write because I enjoy it, and I share what I write because I hope others enjoy it as well. 

S MacKENZIE
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:16 PM

A great question, Rommel. I write because I have stories to tell and share; that's what I try to do. The fame and fortune are pipe dreams. Even though I have been fortunate enough to be published, I don't write with an eye to being on the best-seller list. That said, words are my tools, my paints and brushes...I write because I have to.

Rommel Luna H
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:51 PM

Great answer, Alexander (groupies are always welcome! -ouch! ... that was my wife hitting me in the head with the keyboard).
Ms.MacKenzie, I feel the same way. Actually, I wrote the book I've shared (in part) in this site trying to force myself to be somewhat "commercial", but after countless editing it came back to be as personal as my other writing (and maybe not as "easy-reading" as I tried to, even with the simple plot (product entirely of a dream I had when I was looking for a "commercial" idea).
I guess I can't force myself to write differently from the way I do, and therefore I probably am "un-marketable", so I am content with writing for my core audience: my kids, my wife, sometimes my mom, and myself.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Friday, February 3, 2012 3:06 AM

It would be wonderful to be able to make a living as an author. To be able to do nothing but write, publish and promote writing.

But I think that even if I never get there, if I work in HR for the rest of my life, I will never stop writing. I just get the urge to write, to tell stories. Money and fame aren't my muses.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, February 3, 2012 11:44 AM

It would be nice to make money with my writing. I would love to be a famous writer that other young writers look up to. I write my stuff with quality in mind so that I'm worthy of whatever praise people are willing to give me. I don't think I could stand being idolized for a steaming pile of elephant dung. But, with that said, I know it may never come to pass, and I'm okay with that. I don't expect fame and fortune.

I write because I love it. I was writing when I still had the endless innocence and naivete as a child before society ruined me and life smacked me in the face telling me that writing was a foolish thing to do. (I still argue for it in this world of math, science, and big budget explosions.) I love words. LOVE THEM! I will cherish the art always even if I make absolutely squat for my blood, sweat, and tears.
A J Hart
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:25 AM

Working with kids in Thailand, India, and Myanmar who don't have the means to afford books (from a practically nonexistant library or store) made me re-think my goal to be published. I want to be published all right, but I dont necessarily want to sell my books. I want to give them to these children so they have a chance to fall in love with words as I did as a child. 
Don't get me wrong, if a publishing house comes a kocking saying 'hey, your stuff is pretty good, let me give you money for it' great. But if in the mean time I have the option to get my book into the hands of a child who can't afford it and be broke, I'll be richer than kings. 
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 3:54 AM

That's a noble pursuit, A.J. I wish you nothing but the best.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:47 PM

I'm going to give you props, AJ. It is quite the noble pursuit. Children who might appreciate words is a fantabulous goal. Its far better than my pipe dream of influencing people who are poor of mind that there is more out there than their cell phones and reality TV. (Sorry, I'm a bit of a cynic.) I hope you get your work to those children.

Jump to different Forum...