RSS Feed Print
I need more time in the day
Michelle Barton
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 3:08 PM

I have 3 small children (twin 2 year olds and a 5 month old) and I am finding it hard  to set aside time for writing. I have not written in about a  month (other than notes that I have jotted down).   By the time I get the kiddos a bath and tuck them into bed, I am exhausted... and the last thing on my mind is writing. I am in a rut and need to find a way to get back into the writing groove. Any suggestions?
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 3:55 PM

im with you there, 2 year old and approaching one year old.

My wife and I take turns giving each other some time where the other person is in charge of the kids so we can do our own thing.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:01 PM

@Michelle: There is this great site for women writers called shewrites.com. Many of the women on their struggle with the same issue you do, and I suggest checking it out. They give wonderful advice. I cannot help you, unfortunately. No kids yet.
stephmcgee
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:10 PM

I sadly cannot be of much help.  One thing I can offer is this.  My mom loves to remind me that I gave up naps at 18 months old.  While I gave up naps, I still had to have quiet time in my room each afternoon.  An hour or so of time alone in my room, playing quietly and where my mom could get cleaning done or any other number of things that piled up.

Perhaps (I'm assuming the 5 month old still naps) if the twins have given up naps you could implement something similar.  Quiet time in the mornings or afternoons where the twins learn to entertain themselves and you can get some writing time in.  It could be worth a shot.

But I'm no expert as I'm not married and am of a faith which believes that marriage should come before children.  I only have what I've observed in others to offer.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:16 PM

It's really hard when the kids are that small. 

I found that writing time doesn't just materialize.  You have to make it.  It means giving up something and in my case it was kicking back and watching tv for a little while before bed. 

Another thing that helped was sitting my husband down and telling him what I needed.  Work with him or another adult to get an hour or half-hour slot here and there.  Don't wait for it, demand it.  Every so often I'll pick up my laptop an leave the house for an hour because if I try to stay I'll get sucked into the thousands of things that come up.  Even if you go to your car with a pad of paper and pen and write that way, everything helps.

Maria Granovsky
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:24 PM

For those in New York, there's a great local organization (with national ambitions) of writers who are parents. Pen Parentis http://www.penparentis.org.

Jump to different Forum...