RSS Feed Print
Maintaining confidence in your writing.
Damian
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2011 4:17 PM

How do you maintain confidence in your writing?  Do you ever read a book in your genre and think, "that was awesome!" and consequently get discourage because your own writing isn't up to par.  I'm a new writer with no training past the little I remember from grade school.  My grammar is horrible and I couldn't punctuate myself out of a wet paper bag.  Still I like write, from pictures books to YA, both of which I have posted on this site. 

stephmcgee
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2011 8:07 PM

Ah, a writer's dilemma.

I faced this exact same question a few years ago and it caused me to put my writing on hold. I face it often these days, but I work through it.

This would be four years ago now that I faced this and let it stall me. At that time, I had the opportunity to meet an author whom I greatly admire. (And wish I'd thought of his books first.) I asked him if he ever felt like his books were crap when he read something written by someone else.

He said yes, all the time. But that you have to let it push you to be a better writer, to work harder.

I saw him again this year. And I couldn't help but tell him thank you. Because of his words not only did I finish the book I'd shelved at the time that I'd asked him that question, I've written 3 others as well.

Granted, none of them are published yet. BUt I'll get there. And reading the works of others should never do anything but push us to be better ourselves.
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:39 AM
• I'm a new writer with no training past the little I remember from grade school.

Okay, are you bragging or complaining

My point is that you’re justified in feeling that your work doesn’t compare to theirs. So what? You’ve already defined the problem: You need to fill your toolbox with the same tools they’re using. Then, with your talent free to spread its wings, who knows where you can fly to?

You’re thinking in terms of having a talent to write. But are you certain that writng talent isn’t a knack for using the tools of the writer? If all you own is a hammer, your talent can do little but whack everything in sight.

You say your grammar sucks? So did mine. Go here, and read, and reread till it starts to make sense: http://home.ccil.org/~cowan/style-revised.html

As for the training, think about it. You learned math, history, biology, and a host of subjects. You didn’t graduate as a mathematician, a historian or any of the others. Given that, is it a surprise to learn you weren’t trained to be a fiction writer either? For that you need the craft of the fiction writer. It wasn’t taught in school because only fiction writers need it. And that craft is as much a learned skill as grammar or punctuation. It’s akin to the writing technique you know but the approach is different, it’s emotion rather than fact based. And it’s centered on the character, not the storyteller.

So to find out if you are a talented writer first you need to learn to write. And here’s the good news. If you truly are meant to be a writer, you’ll find yourself saying, “Damn, why didn’t I figure it out for myself?” You’ll find yourself saying it a lot.

Perfecting it won’t be easy, because every writing reflex you now have will scream, “No, that’s not how it’s done!” and urge you to go back to telling. But if you manage it, your reader won’t be told about your story, they’ll experience it. The protagonist will be their avatar, and become important to them. Done very well, as, E. L. Doctorow said, “Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader, not the fact that it’s raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.”

Write well enough and when a knife thrown at your protagonist the reader will duck.

Here a pair of articles I usually suggest as an introduction to one way of getting into the character’s point of view, and to organize a novel.

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/scene.php
http://www.be-a-better-writer.com/scenes-and-sequels.html

If they make sense I’d suggest you pick up Deb Dixon’s book (www.gryphonbooksforwriters.com/home/gmc.htm). It’s a warm read and covers the basics of what the various elements in a scene do, and how they fit together.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:43 PM

This may sound strange, but I have a tremendous amount of confidence in my work.
I'm also consumed with doubt.
I know I can write.
I know it all falls dismally short of what it could be.
I know I have an excellent editorial eye.
I sometimes wonder if I am only making things worse.
I know precisely what I'm doing.
I haven't a clue.

Does that help?
Damian
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 1:37 PM

Thank you Stephmcgee, Jay, Kzinga and Gage. Just knowing that there are people out there interested in helping gives me more confidence to continue writing. I'm lucky to have found this site.

Jay - thanks for the links I'll check them out. Filling my toolbox I want readers to feel the rain and duck from airborne cutlery!
Gage - I had to read it a couple of times, but I may half understand what you are saying.
stephmcgee - I'll keep on trucking, I've already let too much time pass between putting pen to pad. It's nice to know that even good writers lose confidence in themselves and that they aren't just spitting out perfect work after perfect work.
Kzinga - I don't mind the A holes as long as they have something to teach. I much prefer dealing with nice people like you guys who care to take the time and answer a simple question honestly.

Gage - I read it again and may have almost grasped it...almost.

Thanks again for the support. I'll make sure to check out all of your work.
Tawni Peterson
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 4:37 PM

I am with @Gage. Living out the paradox of being a writer... Art/Science, Confident/questioning, Engaged/Distracted...It’s all a part of the process. For me, the thing that has given me the most confidence is learning to live with the process. There will be ups and there *will* be downs, but being in the moment and allowing yourself to embrace the lows as well as the highs opens you up to the possibility of learning everything you can from the moment and really seizing it. It seems I am waxing philosophical, but I think @Jay may have communicated best how what I am referring to plays out in a practical way.

If today, I am unsatisfied with the process, then I must be fully aware of that, address what may have gotten me to that point and make effort to not repeat it. Perhaps that will require I gain more technical tools. Perhaps I must make more space for my mind and soul to breathe. Always there is the possibility that I may need a break from the project altogether to re-group and re-focus. Whatever conclusion the assessment of the day's work leads too, unless I am aware and at rest in the paradox of living half satisfied, half dis-satisfied, I may miss the chance to gain all I can from each day's work.
And I try to remember…Keep writing, learning, and growing…Nothing good can come of quitting

Damian
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:59 PM

Thank you Tawni. It's nice to be in the company of such an insightful person. First things first - make space for my mind and soul to breathe.
Tawni Peterson
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:49 AM

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed "Writing Begins with the Breath" by Laraine Herring...Helped me find the extra *space* and define what that looks like for me.

I have your book on my list and hope to get to it sooner rather than later.
Damian
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 1:23 PM

Hi Tawni! I am going to check out "Writing Begins witht he Breath". Thanks for the suggestion. As far as my book, I would love some honest feedback - even if it may hurt
Damian
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 7:38 PM

Hi Bob -

That works for me - thanks!

D-
Angela Homister
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:43 PM

I haven't had much time to get on here lately but am glad I stumbled across this thread. It's reassuring to know that this problem happens to others and I'm not alone in reading a book and comparing my abilities. But I think by continuing to read good books we in turn learn how to write better. I have a hard time allowing myself to write badly on any given day. I forget there will be many revisions later on so it's ok to write without perfect grammar or without having found that perfect word.
Every writer has their own distinct style and so I think it is important to find your own voice and use others writing you deem 'better' than your own to serve as a learning tool in your process.
I will also be using a number of things people suggested on this thread, thank you for all the great ideas
Yezall Strongheart
Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:14 PM

I'm new here and its funny I am choosing this discussion to be my first. I am confident in my writing. Doesn't mean I'm good at it but my confidence level is high, or would feel defeated before I started. I have had good and bad comments on my books. I try to say thank you for both, change what I feel is valid and keep going.

Jump to different Forum...