RSS Feed Print
Is it wise for a writer to stick with one genre?
Fatima Hyman
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:55 AM

I find that when I have an idea for a book, it usually isn't along the same genre lines as a previous book.  I know most authors tend to stick to one genre type, but is it taboo that an author has a book for every genre?
Ellie Isis
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:19 AM

I've gotten mixed feedback on this topic. One agent suggested I stick with one genre so that a fan base could be built. Another said that writing under multiple genres wasn't really an issue, especially if done under multiple names. S.L. Viehl, for example, writes in several genres successfully, and there are many others.

My intention is to write whatever my heart is telling me to write, because that's what's going to work. Forcing something rarely goes well. Of course, if my novel sells, and the public wants more of the same, who am I to deny the public? *wink*

;-P
Alex Hollingshead
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:51 AM

If you want to write under the same name, then it might depend on your genre. Fantasy authors, for instance, generally have more difficulty getting people to buy their romance or thriller books, but if they write horror or sci-fi, nobody really cares.
Michael L Martin Jr
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:17 PM

I don't necessarily believe it's wise or unwise. There's no one way to do anything in this world. There are authors who have been successful at writing in a variety of genres and authors who've had better success sticking to their genre. It depends on the author/skill level/situation/etc.

Personally, I have very little interest in writing outside my genre (fantasy). But I agree with Ellie. Write what your heart is telling you to write, while also considering the possible implications from your choice. It may work out for you. It may not. That's just the nature of the game.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:22 PM

I'm new to writing so I have no problem sleeping around with the various genres. Once I find what flicks my bic, writing-wise, I'll take it from there.

Romance wasn't something I thought I'd write, but I'm enjoying finishing up Bon Voyage. I started it on a whim when Colleen put the call out for Romance writers in March for BC. Will I write another romance? I have no bloody idea. Maybe I'll stick to writing for teens.

In a convoluted way, I guess I'm saying...don't paint yourself into a corner.
Ellie Isis
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 11:52 AM

That's funny. I, too, never thought I'd write a romance. I was strictly a sci-fi writer. Then I read several authors of sci-fi/romance who influenced me heavily, and since then, I've written two sci-fi/romances of my own. Now I'm doing superheroes, but with some romance thrown in. And I think a paranormal is in my future. Writer tastes change, though I was sure it would never happen to me.
SusanElizabeth
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:59 AM

A couple years ago I decided on a life goal to write a screenplay in each of the major genres (we'll see how that goes...) Now, switching over to books and seeing all of the effort it takes just to write one in one genre, I can't imagine trying to adapt to another genre. But if you are able to do it, and you enjoy doing it, then why not?

Dave McClure
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 11:08 AM

The problem is that genres are of little value to most writers, or to readers.  If you write a mystery in which a murder that occurred a hundred years ago holds the key to a killing today, is it mystery or historical mystery?  If your book is about romance in the midst of war, is it romance or military?  To illustrate, consider what genre you would assign to Romeo and Juliet?  If you set Romeo and Juliet on Mars 300 years from now, does it change genre?  I strive to write good stories, told well, and worry about the genre assignments later. 
Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 12:23 PM
I agree that you should write what you want to write, regardless of the genre. However, that is strictly from a writerly standpoint, from the view of "if writing is something you love and should do for you, first and foremost." As Dave says, to the writer him/herself genres are of little importance. However, to a traditional publisher and to readers with strong preferences, genre is very important.

As the agent Ellie spoke with points out, you need a "home base" if you will for your writing when you're a debut author. You need to build a strong foundation and fan base from which to jump start your professional writing career. Without that niche, it's a lot more difficult to acquire a "following" and it makes publishers nervous. It makes you a riskier bet to take on if your hand is in too many pots. So, if publication is your goal, you need to think about genre differently. Play around and test things out, figure out what you want to write, what you enjoy the most. But then I would stick with it, learn and improve within that genre first. Start laying that foundation. Then later, once you have that solidly underneath you and a few floors built, you can expand to other genres. If the genres are similar, I like to stick with the same author name, but when they are drastically different, it's a good idea to use a pen name for one of them so as not to confuse your already existing fans. Unfortunately, sometimes this means starting to build another foundation. But it's totally doable. =)

GD Deckard
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 1:09 PM
Maybe this is a question of how you see yourself as an author. For my first book, it's story first, genre second. I had to write some of it before I could classify it because I'm a newby. If my writing was simply a hobby indulging self-expression, I would write the kind of story that I enjoy reading. If I thought of myself as a great writer, I might look for my genre among the great books, not in the marketplace. But if I were focused on earning a living as a writer my first thought would be, "What sells best?" I wonder, does the genre we pick classify us as authors more than the stories we write?
Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:08 PM
Reading through the responses the author Stephanie Meyer comes to mind. Her Twilight Saga falls into the Juvenile Fiction, Love & Romance, Paranormal. The Host, on the other hand, fell into the category Fiction, Science Fiction, general.

Then there's Nora Roberts, Fiction, Romance and JD Robb, Fiction, Mystery & Detective, Women Sleuths or Police Procedural.

And, of course, there are others.

I recommend writing what comes to mind and perfecting the manuscripts you feel the strongest about and query them if you want to be in print. Then discuss with your agent or publisher their wishes for the other genre's you've written. I'm thinking, they'll want to build your base with one genre first.

I did have an agent that really liked one of my picture books, but due to the market he told me he was unwilling to work with it. However, if I came to him with a novel, he'd take the picture book with the novel contract and work with both.

I know authors that have more than one agent depending on genre. The only problem I see is that most agents and publishers are submitting contracts that require the author to produce X amount of books. An author may find it difficult to meet contractual agreements if they sell to too many agents.

Happy writing.

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:29 AM

Lynne, I write several different genres, and I personally pride myself on the fact that I have had several people not believe that I wrote a pair of storys, because of how distinct they were.  I think if you cross Genres, you really have to CROSS genres, and work and think differently for it.

Jump to different Forum...