RSS Feed Print
What stupid 'writer' thing did you do today?
LisaMarie
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:33 AM

Writers can be intense. And extremely focused.

And sometimes ... ditzy. Even though we know better than to come in from the rain, we have our "brain go bonk" moments. What was yours?

Today: Entered a chapter contest. Sent the entry coordinator my most heinous FIRST DRAFT chapter by mistake. Ow! I was able to get everything fixed, but gosh, had a judge read the old version? (Cringe.)

Anyone else do anything stupid today?

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:53 AM

I left a tray of cupcakes within reach of my children for five minutes. My kids are still bouncing off the walls upstairs.
LisaMarie
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:06 AM

Oooo! Dudette! You win today! That is something that cannot be undone.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:03 PM

Yeah...I put them to bed at 8 and I had to run down to the basement and throw breaker 21 at 9:15 because their lights kept magically coming back on. That's the biggest bedtime threat in our house "Don't make me throw breaker 21!!!"

What was I thinking, making the kids cupcakes? I was all virtuous yesterday, baking with the kids and letting them make a mess with icing and sprinkles. Then the dude from the historical society in Salem calls and I turn my back for five minutes.

The three-year-old actually just ate the tops off his cupcakes. He believes every bite should be filled with the maximum amount of sugar possible.
LisaMarie
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:32 AM

LOL! Seriously, have you thought about writing mommy lit? The breaker thing is awesomely hysterical! (And the cupcakes ...!)

My stupid thing today: Didn't turn in all my info to my accountant. Both stupid AND lazy!

Now she's sending me nagging reminders ...
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:18 PM

I'll think about it on a day when the kids don't wake me up at 5am demanding I make them french toast.

The buggers got cereal.
LisaMarie
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:49 AM

Yup. Definitely should write a mommy lit book in the future. I think it would be hysterical!

My stupid writer moment today: Forgot to get food. No food in house at 8:30 p.m. (none), necessitating a quick rush to the Very Expensive Market.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:02 AM

You guys are cracking me up!
LisaMarie
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:14 AM

Stupid + Lazy of the Day:

There's a partial ready to go. Actually, "more partial," per agent request. It's been sitting on my desk for a week now. All I need to do is walk it to the corner mailbox. That's all.

Nope. Didn't do it today, either. I think I'll ply it with extra stamps tonight just to be sure.

There is still no food in this house, except for a box of frozen White Castle sliders. Om-nom-nom. Bring on the saturated and trans fats ...
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:29 AM

Oh...my....There are still White Castles around?

My stupid writer thing of the day? I told the UPS driver "Have a good day, Sweetie."

At least I didn't tell him I loved him. Ick.

My son got a good laugh though. He's a very precocious five-year-old. Jon came running out of the bathroom with a tampon shoved up each nostril saying that he was a walrus.

My husband gagged. I grabbed the camera. Those pictures will keep him well behaved all through high school.
KD Sarge
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:49 AM

Nothing so funny from me, but I did set a goal of weeding my browser tabs down to under twenty, and I almost got there--then three Twitter friends in a row tweeted cool links and there were interesting other links on the pages, and...

Anyone want a research link to a talk on biomimetic renewable megacities?
Ava DiGioia
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 6:30 PM

While running errands today, I drove up behind a truck with a decal on the back window. I read it as "Call Girl". After a few minutes, I realized it actually said "Cali Girl" (short for California girl).
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 8:10 PM

Let's see, today's stupid moment...

The phone rang and since I was expecting a call I picked it right up without checking the caller ID.

My mother-in-law is still chatting away in my ear.

Now instead of writing or studying I am stuck on the phone and answering posts.
Michael L Martin Jr
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 8:25 PM

This is a fun thread...and also potentially embarrassing. lol

This morning, I was thinking about a cool scene that I wanted to write. Poured my orange juice into plate of food, instead of empty cup.
LisaMarie
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:36 AM

Oh man, Michael ... you do get the win for the week, I think ...
Robert C Roman
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:26 PM

@KD - I want that link!
@Michael - Yeah, I think you win. My repeated 'stupid-writer-move' is forgetting where my eyes are pointed while I'm working out. Cardio and weightlifting are more or less mindless activities, so I'll be plotting out stuff, pre-writing, and thinking about characters while I work.

T'other day, it was so bad that a woman came up to me and said, "Hi! I'm ", when I replied "Hi!, I'm Bob. What can I do for you?", she said "Oh, I was wondering the same thing; you've been smiling at me for like five solid minutes."

I didn't have the heart to tell her I was plotting out a particularly funny / awkward / romantic conversation between two MCs.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:01 PM

I do that too! I'll stare into the background, and im actually staring OVER someones shoulder out at nothing, but they'll think im staring at them. I've gotten a flirt out of it a couple of times, but usually I'm treated as a creeper. (check the picture, I'm sure you can imagine why)
LisaMarie
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2011 5:48 AM

Oooo! I get the jump and click my heels together, kids, because I did another stupid writer thing today!

Went out to the parking lot, car keys in hand. Mulling about revisions. Deep in thought. WTH? Someone else is PARKED IN MY SPOT! Evil SILVER car INTRUDER person! So I'm fuming about it, wondering if it's too late to call management and have the car towed when ...

Oh. I just bought a new car.

That's my car.

Oops ...
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:18 PM

Yesterday I was attending a round table meeting via Skype. I thought I had locked the door to my office, but of course I didn't. In prances my three-year-old wearing nothing but SpongeBob Squarepants underwear.

Professionalism score of the day- 3
MR Nelson
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 1:21 AM

I feel like I am in a(n) (insert issue here) anonymous meeting where I am learning that I am indeed not alone in my dingy craziness. In my house, objects like to show up (because it’s their fault) in various interesting locations in which they do not belong. Apparently, I think everything can be refrigerated. (My wife could expand on this discussion with a very long list, I am certain.) My reoccurring la-la land moment is to get to the end of a shower and have no idea whether I’ve washed up or not. This leads to my extra-clean days. Today’s senior moment at age 34 was to put coffee grounds into my freshly brewed cup of coffee. Sugar would have tasted much better. This feels good to finally come clean and stop living a lie.
LisaMarie
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 3:13 AM

Welcome to Dingy Writers Anonymous, MR.

I've been living dingy for longer than 20 years now ...

Today, I forgot to take my housemate's little dog out for a piddle & poo.

Whoops ...
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:10 AM

I'll join Dingy Writers Annoymous.

"Hello, my name is Danielle and my dust bunnies have names and are on their third generation."
LisaMarie
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:32 AM

Danielle goes for the win today.

My stupid writer moment was, alas, forgetting what day it was because a client paid me early. So, ergo, I thought it was later. Like, Friday.

:O

(You mean it's not?)

Jump to different Forum...