RSS Feed Print
How Did Constabulary Police Force Work
Andrea Matthews
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 5:42 PM

I posted this over on the Tools and Resources page, but after reading a few discussions here, I think perhaps this was where I should have asked it since it deals with a question that mystery writers are more likely to come across.
   I'm working on a mystery set around 1903 on Long Island, New York, however, I'm having a problem finding out who would have handled a murder investigation at that time and place.  I believe the individual towns may have had a constabulary force, but I'm not sure if there was a county presence, and if so, who would have headed up the investigation?
   Any assistance would be appreciated.

Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:25 AM

Maybe contact the NYPD Museum?  They didn't respond to my email inquiry (I'm also working on a murder mystery set in New York City in 1905, so I'm having to do similar research to yours), but maybe if you were to call them by phone, you'd have better luck.  (I've been meaning to do that also, but I've been sidetracked with another writing project.)

--edited by Ian Nathaniel Cohen on 6/25/2013, 9:26 AM--

Lucy Silag
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:48 PM

Hi, @Andrea and @Ian--what ever happened with these research projects? Just curious . . .
Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 10:28 AM
Mine's on the back-burner while I'm working on more developed ideas, but I do plan on returning to it.

Jump to different Forum...