RSS Feed Print
Choose the best fantasy book of 2012!
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 2:54 PM

What is, in your opinion, the best fantasy book of 2012, and why? In particular, what aspect of the work (e.g., style, worldbuilding, character development) did you enjoy the most and would like to emulate in your own writing?

If you haven't read any fantasy that was published in 2012, feel free to share your pick anyways! 

Cheers, 
Nevena

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 4:06 PM

bumping this up so other people can see!
Charlotte Elise
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 11:16 PM
It wasn't published in 2012, but the last fantasy book I read (and absolutely loved!) was Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I couldn't put it down, and was so disappointed when it ended! (Let me be clear that I wasn't disappointed with the ending, just that it had to end at all). Can't wait for the next one
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:35 PM

I know the feeling -- it's the best.

It doesn't matter if it wasn't published this year! How about tweak the discussion to BEST FANTASY YOU READ THIS YEAR?
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:36 PM

For me personally, it'd have to be Cold Days by Jim Butcher. I'm a huge fan of the Dresden Files and this book just showed why. Epic, game-changing and still full of the great little character moments that really define this series. As usual, also includes some truly great Star Wars jokes.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:59 PM

I have to nominate Chuck Wendig's Blackbirds. Sure, this book is already making the "greats of 2012" rounds, but it really is that awesome. Miriam is warped, damaged, and intense, but she sticks with you and has some truly great character moments.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 9:53 AM

Hey LeeAnna, I also read BLACKBIRDS and really enjoyed it . I liked the noir ambiance and the playful writing style. Btw, it really reminded me of Lauren Beukes's ZOO CITY, an urban fantasy novel about a South African woman with special psychic powers. The psychic powers appear after she commits a crime and is "animalled," which means she is paired with an animal that signifies her guilt...

Anyways, I just thought you might like it! Have you read the sequel to BLACKBIRDS, MOCKINGBIRD?
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 11:09 AM

I read ZOO CITY and MOCKINGBIRD, then I reviewed them on Goodreads out of support for how good those books are. I posted the reviews on my blog too, and on DeviantArt. Ok, so obviously have no problem telling the world when I read an awesome book. I'm currently trying to put together a neon sign for when Kevin Hearne's HUNTED is released this summer.

My current endeavor, Daniel O'Malley's THE ROOK. I'll let you know how that turns out.

And my blog for those interested: http://militaryhousewriter.blogspot.com
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 2:13 PM

Wow, I feel humbled... Okay, I'll check them out. I'm curious to see why you like them. Are you a Seanan McGuire fan by any chance? 
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 2:28 PM

I haven't read him yet, so I'll have to add him to my Goodreads list.

Yeah, I follow Wendig and his buddies on Twitter. It is there that I pick up many of the books I've read lately. I don't have the time in the world to read all the ones they recommend, but they're a great source to pad my list. 
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 11:18 PM
Hmmm... I would have to say it's Jay Greenstein's, Samantha and the Bear. The man's a hell of a writer         =snicker=

Jump to different Forum...