RSS Feed Print
What are your Antagonist's best qualities?
Charlotte Elise
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:00 AM
Many of us are avoiding the clichés these days, especially in fantasy. So I was wondering, in particular, what makes your antagonist different? How have you created someone or something that isn't just evil personified? Are they funny? Do they have a love interest? Share your bad guy's (or girl's) redeeming qualities!

By the way, you may want to give a spoiler alert if there are some in your description.
Charlotte Elise
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:16 PM
Okay I'll start!

His name is Morgrel, and he has a history of violently getting things done. He is currently employed to destroy the remains of a particular race of people, however, he is actually sneakily striving for peace. He is also, though he doesn't really realise it/want to admit it, in love with a woman he once took as a slave. And, like most of us, he enjoys a good drink. 
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:23 AM

I have to pick one? I'll go into the one I write the most.

My antagonist is supposed to be evil personified. He used to be a god, until his sister framed him for attempted murder of their leader-god and he got tossed down into my world's version of hell for a 10,000 year sentence. Now he wonders around in the mortal realm trying to occupy himself until his sentence is up. He has no good qualities, but no one has said that he is ever cliche.
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:01 PM

The antagonists in Orrery are only revealed to be 'benevolent' after they've been killed. While their methods are a little extreme (sponsoring terrorism and attempted genocide) it's simply their way of trying to keep the other races from coming to their master's attention. Given what their master's like, this is quite kind.

Charlotte Elise
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 1:01 AM
They both sound great. And LeeAnna, by all means, pick more than one! I like that you have been able to create an all bad guy without him becoming a cliche, too. 

Timothy, yours sounds like a great 'cruel to be kind' scenario, and a great way to complicate your characters. 

Will be checking out both books soon!
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 6:32 PM

You're welcome to take a look (like I'm going to say anything else), but I'll just warn you that my villains haven't made an appearance yet. Their minions have however, so it should give you a sense of what's coming.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 7:14 PM

Thanks for checking out my book.

I'll give you another one of my villains. Her name is Rashel Fang. She's one of my protagonist's mother. An ambitious and controlling woman, she isn't one to be crossed. As much as she "cherishes" her children, if they betray her, she will have them killed. Her only good trait: determination. Once this woman takes a bite, she won't let go. While she will always be a villain, she joins with the protagonists for a time to take down a woman who murdered one of her daughters as punishment for her failure to capture the MC.
Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 8:57 PM

Such cool antagonists!

The so-called "enemy" in my trilogy is named Thor-rohn (also known as Merzaque). The character himself doesn't appear until the last chapter of the second book.

He is, to put it bluntly, clinically insane - driven such by another race of beings known as the "Vapors" (don't want to get too much into them here ). His ego is the size of Montana; he is sadistic and viciously cruel. But he is also intelligent, powerful, skilled, excruciatingly patient when it serves his needs, and absolutely convinced that everything he has done (and still may do), he must do for the sake of his planet's future.

Charlotte Elise
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 12:07 AM
Sounds interesting, Angela. Another book for me to check out, I think! Thanks for posting.
Herb Mallette
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 2:00 PM

In The Last Tragedy, my antagonist is wickedly adept with malevolent double-entendres.

In the followup trilogy, the principle antagonist is off-camera until the third book, where her redeeming feature is that she is human, and therefore deserving of an attempt at redemption.

Charlotte Elise
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:21 AM
That's an interesting concept, Herb. Another I will be checking out
Herb Mallette
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:58 AM

I won't claim to have originated that concept!

Thanks for checking it out; I hope you like what you see.

Jump to different Forum...