RSS Feed Print
YA trends
Teeny Genies
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 7:07 AM

My friend and I are co-writing a YA book (which we will hopefully upload soon here!). It's about genies, and I was just wondering what people's thoughts were about trends in YA fiction right now? (or at least in fantasy YA fiction) Vampires are still in, but what else? Do you think YA fantasy novels will still be popular 1-2 years from now? And, I have to ask, do you think there's room for a genie book?
Revenant
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 2:10 PM
Hmm... My YA lit class was under the impression that undead would be the next "in"... They're already pretty mainstream and popular, and I think that Rot and Ruin will open the floodgates. As for popularity.... yes I think so. Kids are constantly changing, so the typical "YA" novel may evolve or adapt to new ideas, but they're always going to want something to read. It may shift more towards graphic novels as we go along, but who knows.... And there is ALWAYS room for a well-written novel, always. If you bring younger readers into the story and let them feel the emotions of your characters and wish they had a genie, or maybe glad they don't have a genie, either way.... they will want to read what you write. So if you have a great idea, go for it.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 5:17 PM

There are a few television shows/movies coming out in the next year aimed at the teen audience centered around witchcraft. Not in a Harry Potter witchcraft style, darker, more primal themes. I'm willing to bet a lot of money that's going to be the next 'in'.
Stef Thompson
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:05 PM

I think there's room for anything new as long as it's appealing. Get as many YA readers to look at your manuscript as you work and ask them what they think to get the best "feel" for feedback from the audience you specifically wish to write for.

Vampires are "in" at the moment but they've been starring in YA novels for a very long time. Harry Potter is not the first 'fantasy' series about wizards and witches, but it came about in such a way that it raised the bar for the novels to come. Perhaps your novel will do that for genies! Good luck!
stephmcgee
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:15 PM

I wouldn't worry about trends while you're writing. Trends change. And in an industry that's acquiring product to reach shelves a year from now, by the time we're seeing a trend it could well be on the way to passe. As others have said, there's always room for a well-written book.

Write the book. Revise/edit it. When it comes time to querying, evaluate the market and see what's selling. Get on publisher's marketplace and check out the deals. That's going to show you a better picture of what's selling and give a better indication of how difficult it might be to sell your novel.
Karrie Zai
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:39 PM

Revenant, I hope you're right about the undead. For some time now I've been going nuts over stories about the undead. The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Zombies vs. Unicorns, Rot & Ruin--love them all. Makes me sad my creativity doesn't trend that way; plenty of high fantasy ideas, but never dystopian/post-apocalyptic despite how I like to read them.

Anyway, to make a more relevant response: It is my belief (or perhaps hope) that YA fantasy is here to stay, though perhaps not always in the same form. I think we could certainly spare the excess of vampire-type novels being published. And I agree with Revenant again in this: There is ALWAYS room for a well-written novel with a great story.

Jump to different Forum...